New GT - Old GT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 9:35 pm Thread Starter

Smile New GT - Old GT?

OK,

I have ridden now a new 2007 GT and a 2003 GT....

Call me crazy but I like the older styler 03 GT better....

It seemed more relaxed......more comfortable..

Heavier, yes. Slower, yes. But a more attractive look I think...

Searching for a MC to replace my 05 LT......

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 9:46 pm

Umm...if you like it, buy it. You really don't need our permission.
post #3 of 14 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:11 pm
fas

Talking slow, heavy, old suspension technology, but pretty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Umm...if you like it, buy it. You really don't need our permission.

Old GT is fine. New GT is finer.

The suspension combined with the performance capability provides a telepathic experience that is hard to convey.

I buy to ride, not to look at the bike PARKED from an artistic POV. I agree the old GT is visually better to the eye. But, riding the new GT is SO GOOD. The power to weight ratio helps give the rider such a GRIN. I like old cars like the classic Bentley or Morgans. But, they are too slow. I don't want slow. Maybe when I'm 80 I'll slow down and get a pretty bike that is slow, like Joe.

Rob Nelson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.

post #4 of 14 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:37 pm Thread Starter

*You make some grand assumptions Joe...........

*Ridin steady since 1973

post #5 of 14 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:52 pm
Super Moderator

I had a 99 K1200RS (same platform as the old GT) and I absolutely loved that bike. Out of all the bikes I've owned it is 1 of 2 I wish I still had. They are great bikes, run like hell, are comfortable, and a blast to ride. I had mine to an indicated 155 mph once so it's not like they're slow! I used to ride with some guys who all raced Ducatis (amateur level) and could keep with them on the streets on it (passed a couple from time to time, too ). The first couple of times we rode together they would walk back and just stare at the bike saying stuff like, "I never thought it would stay with us!" One guy in the group (very seasoned racer, made that Duc do things that blew my mind) paid me one of the highest compliments I feel I've ever gotten from a fellow rider, "Dave, it's an absolute pleasure watching you ride that bike."

So, if you like it, go for it! You'll be a happy guy. Of course, the new GT is no slouch, either!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #6 of 14 Old Aug 24th, 2007, 6:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctpdog
*You make some grand assumptions Joe...........
Yea...it's a gift. Besides, I figured a "humorist" would enjoy the reply.

On a serious note, I've said it many times that if I was a rich man, I would own an '04 GT in Orient Blue, or an '02 RS in Night Black. They are beautiful bikes, no doubt about it. The "GT" version isn't much of a GT though. It's just an RS with a wee bit better wind protection, electric shield, and hardbags. The new GT is a true long-distance sport-tourer, best that I can tell. I rode around the country on mine and when I got back home it said, "Why are we stopping?".
post #7 of 14 Old Aug 24th, 2007, 7:20 am

Garage
Quote:
Yea...it's a gift. Besides, I figured a "humorist" would enjoy the reply.

On a serious note, I've said it many times that if I was a rich man, I would own an '04 GT in Orient Blue, or an '02 RS in Night Black. They are beautiful bikes, no doubt about it. The "GT" version isn't much of a GT though. It's just an RS with a wee bit better wind protection, electric shield, and hardbags. The new GT is a true long-distance sport-tourer, best that I can tell. I rode around the country on mine and when I got back home it said, "Why are we stopping?".
Did the old GT ever have an electric shield?

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #8 of 14 Old Aug 24th, 2007, 7:34 am Thread Starter

Quote:
I rode around the country on mine and when I got back home it said, "Why are we stopping?". [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I recall it said it was done in a gas station near Reno Nevada with a FD failure..........
Why this still plagues BMW across the entire line of all models is a mystery to me. I am sure you were perplexed with it too.

"QUOTE=®win]Did the old GT ever have an electric shield? [/QUOTE]

Yes, the GT I rode sure did - I kept playing with it.

*Ridin steady since 1973

Last edited by usmctpdog; Aug 24th, 2007 at 7:39 am.
post #9 of 14 Old Aug 24th, 2007, 7:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctpdog
I recall it said it was done in a gas station near Reno Nevada with a FD failure..........
Why this still plagues BMW across the entire line of all models is a mystery to me. I am sure you were perplexed with it too.
Yes...'tis BMW's achilles heel. You can either let it drive you nuts, walk away completely, or decide to live with it and just ride the things. I've finally chosen the third option. The bottom line for me is that I've decided that I love my BMW's more than I hate this issue. I have almost 75K miles on two BMWs and those miles have been very good miles. I wouldn't trade them on any other bike.
post #10 of 14 Old Aug 24th, 2007, 8:10 am

Quote:
----------------------------------The bottom line for me is that I've decided that I love my BMW's more than I hate this issue. --------------------------------------------
Love that statement! Exactly the way I felt about my LTs, even though I had multiple problems with the last one. When I lost it it was like the loss of my best friend. If financially able, I would have another right now, (or maybe a GS).

I liked the test ride I took on the GT, but it just was not my cup of tea. Don't want a bike I have to spend time and money on to make it comfortable. The LT was perfect for me in that regard. Even loved the stock seat!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #11 of 14 Old Aug 25th, 2007, 8:43 am Thread Starter

Joe - You are right about the FD issues as I am presently considering an older model of GT if I can find one...*I just love so much about the BMW.

I am spoiled by the K engine also.- I did take a new 07 1200RT out for a ride and while it handled marvelously, the engine was so "Soft" as compared to the "K" I was completely underwhelmed with it...

I am sure it prolly just needs break-in and getting use to a different engine style...

*Ridin steady since 1973

post #12 of 14 Old Aug 25th, 2007, 10:02 am

I agree.
Tried an 06 GT but just could not get along with it.
My 04 GT was just more comfy for me with plenty of power.
I had the 06 to 145mph indicated once. After I slowed I told myself that it was fun but that I would never do it again. Fear of jail if I were to fall to temptation on a public road.
Now have an RT that does it for me.
Hard to go wrong either way though.

Tim S
Arizona,USA

2011 R1200RT
post #13 of 14 Old Aug 26th, 2007, 12:42 pm

I am considering a 2003 GT that Ted has over at A&S but I am wondering if I have to worry about FD issues or rear main seals all over again. Should you drill the slave cylinder drain hole in this bike too? It looks like the same engine/trans layout as my LT, so I'm having concerns.

Fred Jewell
No longer president, River City Beemers
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

"Shadowboxing the apocalypse, wandering the land"
post #14 of 14 Old Aug 26th, 2007, 3:54 pm

Interesting question...anyone know if the earlier model GT's had the same problems with clutch, FD and tranny seal failure as the LT's?????

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in