New Rubber - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 17th, 2007, 6:55 am Thread Starter

New Rubber

I currently am running the 55/56 Avon Storms on my GT.
Have had them on for about 2K miles.
My front wheel has developed a "hop" and I am pretty sure it's
the tire.
Taking to the dealer on Sat.,(off the bike) and he only stocks the Metzlers.
Do you see any problems running an MZ6 up front with the Avon in the rear ???
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 17th, 2007, 7:58 am

Nope...you should be fine.
post #3 of 6 Old Aug 17th, 2007, 12:52 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I responded to the other post at K-bikes.com, but want to repeat the info here for reference.

Check your front tire carefully for odd wear patterns.

My '07 started a slight shimmy when braking hard that felt like worn rotors. It got worse especially when turning left, but was fine when going right. I traced it down to a specific rotational spot on the wheel and then noticed an odd wear pattern on the front Avon Storm. I had 6K on the tire, but it was less than half worn except for two adjacent spots.

I got ahold of SWMotoTires who told me to ship it back. On receipt, they sent me a new replacement without question. I'm happy with that sort of service, especially from an internet shop.

I'm guessing it was an internal tire problem, but either way a new front tire solved it immediately.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 18th, 2007, 10:19 pm Thread Starter

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH !!!
Does everybody also believe that these GT's only need more money when you have a problem?

Went to the dealer today, the Avon Storm was toast, some sort of blem. Rotors, rim, bearings, all ok.
Started to dig into Metzler documentation, the service manager could swear he read something different about the GT.
Yep, he found it, The front MZ6 is rated as an "C" tire, and shabang, they had (1) in stock. No one else in the NW had one. Saaweet !
The higher rating is because of the weight ect, (58W) all other BMW rears are rated @ "C" but only the GT gets the same rating up front.
So, we mount her up and I pays the bill/$165.00 clams!
Damn, I hope it rides ok. Get back home, reinstall the wheel, blah,blah,blah.
Time to go "scrub her in", then off to the hills for a demo. How nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boys, I believe I am going to stick with these Metzlers, I am back in business and we were
getting horizontal, if you know what I mean.
I gave the Avons a chance, still have the rear to burn up and then I'll match it to the front MZ6, I am going to send the front back to Avon for warranty, then sell the replacement.
Maybe just a fluke, but yippee, I'm back on my steed again.
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 19th, 2007, 4:56 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Watch the rear Z6 tires closely. Since there's a solid center tread band, there are no wear bars there. You can have some room to go on the side wear bars and the center tread will look great, then one tank of gas later you'll be literally riding on the cords.

The tires felt fine, but I got well under 5K out of two rears with no warning as to going from OK to park-the-bike dangerous. No, thanks.

If I hadn't just mounted a fresh set of Storms, I'd be trying the new Pilot Road 2CT. Dual-compound technology front and rear is supposed to improve mileage while maintaining excellent grip and feel. It could all be marketing hype, but I figure it's worth a shot.

Oh well, these Storms will be toast by the time I get back from CCR anyway.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 20th, 2007, 6:49 am Thread Starter

There is a recall on the Pilots right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in