Has Anyone Seen the New K1200GT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 8:17 am Thread Starter

Has Anyone Seen the New K1200GT?

Jeff Eagan emailed me some pics of the new K1200GT. I've always said if they made the RT with the K engine I would have to have one. This looks close.

What I'm wondering is the handlebar reach going to be close to that of the RT or is it more leaned over like the old K1200GT. If so, not interested but if they change the riding position to that of the RT I would be very interested.

Doug Hines
Benton, AR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 8:33 am
Bouncer

Those pictures are from Milan. The bike is rumored to be coming to the US for the Long Beach Cycle World Show in a couple weeks. So I doubt anyone can answer that question at this time.

The handlebars are adjustable. The adjustment method allows movement of the bar assembly to slide forward or backward by releasing a set of locking bolts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 9:18 am

Hi Doug,

I thought along the same lines you did. The RT with the inline 4. I think that eventually the BMW line will convert to the in line engine configuration for all of their models. but when the RT comes in wiht the in line 4, I'm trading the LT...

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training

post #4 of 20 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 3:26 pm

If the new GT had cruise control and the RT stereo system, I would buy right away....
post #5 of 20 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 3:53 pm
Bouncer

Somebody posted this on the K-Bikes.com site and I posted it here:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2610

And here is more speculation on the radio:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost...3&postcount=19

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #6 of 20 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 7:00 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Stew,

I think that was BMW's plan back when the flying brick came out in 1984. But demand for the boxers remained strong, so they just developed both lines concurrently.

I think all current K bikes will switch to the new motor (actually, only the LT remains to be upgraded), but BMW will also keep developing the R bikes as twins. If the market is there, why should they drop one line or the other?

Rest assured, us SoCal boys will give you more pics and impressions after seeing and sitting on the new GT next month.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 20 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 4:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhines
Jeff Eagan emailed me some pics of the new K1200GT. I've always said if they made the RT with the K engine I would have to have one. This looks close.

Doug Hines
Benton, AR
yea I alway;s thought the K engine in a RT would be great as well, maybe just maybe this will do it, rumor was a while back therer would be a K1200RT maybe this is really waht they are putting out next

Too cool regardless

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #8 of 20 Old Dec 9th, 2005, 9:55 pm

I just got back from the M/C show and looked/sat on the new GT, I will be keeping the LT. The GT is very slab sided so I don't care for the looks and the bars in their full up position were to far forward for me. I found myself sitting on the front of the seat. I am 5'9" so for someone taller and with longer arms probably not a problem. I hope they put some style in the new LT and don't go for the slab look. Last year when I went to the show I came home and the next day bought my LT, so it's a good thing I guess that I don't care that much for the GT and I love my LT.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #9 of 20 Old Dec 10th, 2005, 11:57 am

New 1200GT

I agree. Have only seen pictures to date. Based on the pictures I would not want one. Very uninmaginative styling. Looks old like a Kawasaki Concours.
Not leading in style like BMW usually is.
Mike
post #10 of 20 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 12:13 am

Long Beach Show

I got the opportunity to sit on the new GT at the show yesterday. My impressions:
-Feels like RT seating position, and with the standard adjustable bars should work for wide scale of riders.
-Much better looking than pictures. The "slab side" curls under pretty well.
-Basically has the new RT bags and topcase.

Details per Motorad guys:
-Base price in the $17,s. Comes with ABS and bags standard, everything else has to be ordered Probably $18-20K with all the features.
-A couple of items I had not read about before. Supposedly comes with disc brake wear monitor and air pressure monitor connected to the LCD screen.
-Probably not avaliable in the US till June. Way to long of a wait!
Will probably be my next bike! It was tough to be at track day in Phoenix today and see the S and R bikes go blasting by with the new K engine and not think of the GT.

Jeff
"MitchRider"
GT Dreamer
Portland by way of Phoenix
post #11 of 20 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 1:27 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Jeff,

Did you ride your LT on the track day, or something else?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 20 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 3:59 pm

Phoenix Track Day

Ken,
I have taken the LT the other two times that I have had an opportunity to go on the track in Portland. After doing that I realized that the lowered pegs I had on it were a real detriment to full enjoyment so took Judy's RT with the std pegs and sans sidecases and trunk. It was an absolute hoot. There was about 20-25 riders in the BMW group and we got to go out for 20 minute sessions every half an hour from 8:00 to 4:00. Needless to say we got a full dose of adrenaline. The three new K engined bikes that were there pretty much blew everybody off in the straights, but the one guy who had put a full Remus system on his new R1200RT was not far behind and noticeably quicker than the stock R1200RTs. Not to mention it sounded great too!
It's going to be way to long of a wait till June for the GT, but at least Judy and I have the bikes in Phoenix so we can ride all winter.

Jeff
"MitchRider"
GT Dreaming
post #13 of 20 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 4:26 pm

Are you splitting your time between OR and AZ now? I did not know you had a place in Phoenix.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #14 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 1:18 am
IBR# 366

Garage
I know what you mean. I had the only LT at the BMW day at Buttonwillow, and it sure makes you realize how heavy this bike is. The brakes worked great though, and I made the most of what acceleration I had. Plus the LT is wide enough that it wasn't easy for others to pass, especially once I learned to be ready and get out onto the track first. I would hold my line in the corners, then pull to the inside on the straights to let others by (once they caught up with me ).

We did have a few K12S bikes, a couple of R12RT bikes, and several R12GS bikes, as well as some older BMW rides. There was even a K12R strapped to the back of a motorhome. My favorite was the guy who fitted race slicks to his HP2 GS, supermoto style. That looked like fun.

There was a guy in the beginner class on a K12S who would creep through the corners, and rocket along every straight. He was tough to pass, but I eventually carried enough momentum that I passed him on a long sweeper.

I'd love to do it again, especially on something lighter and more powerful. One of the instructors had a stripped down ZRX1200 that looked like a lot of fun. I can see this being just a bit addicting.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #15 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 12:17 pm

I also looked at the new 1200 GT. was not impressed. The instrument cluster does not fit in with the look of the bike. The seat was rock hard, and the bars put me to much of an upright position. Will be keeping the k1200RS.
post #16 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 3:50 pm

Hey Jeff:

When you get bored in Phoenix wander down this way for a long weekend and I'll take you on a quickie tour of some great SE AZ hangouts. My turn to buy lunch.

Best,

Ron

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #17 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 9:53 pm

Miller Lunch

Ron,
I'm planning to be in AZ thru the first of the year so I will definitely try to hook up with you for a ride and lunch down that way.
Will be in touch,
Jeff

06 GT "MitchRider" 55,XXX Miles of Smiles!
02 LT Semi-Retired & 155,XXX Miles of Great Memories
BBG, B2B, 100CCC, Four Corners, SS3000, SS5000

"Part of getting older is that you spend less time waiting for things and realize that road time is finite; one starts to relish every ride, every day now as a gift."
post #18 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 10:01 pm

Portland/Phoenix

David,
Good to hear from you. Hope that things are going well.
Yes, we bought a place down here in Phoenix now to try and beat the crazy price spiral. We are at least four years away from being able to think about being here full time, which is our goal, but am targeting 10 days a month here in the interim. My son-in-law is doing a great job of taking care of the day to day portion of the business, which allows us to slip away. Certainly can't beat this area, as you well know, for great riding weather. Am going to be sorta over your way the end of January for Death Valley Daze. Say "Hi" to Janet for me.
Take care,
Jeff

06 GT "MitchRider" 55,XXX Miles of Smiles!
02 LT Semi-Retired & 155,XXX Miles of Great Memories
BBG, B2B, 100CCC, Four Corners, SS3000, SS5000

"Part of getting older is that you spend less time waiting for things and realize that road time is finite; one starts to relish every ride, every day now as a gift."
post #19 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 10:13 pm

Good luck with your move, when it comes about.

Our plans to move to TN are in limbo now, we just missed the peak of the real estate market here in San Diego, still on the market, but things are really SLOOOOW now. Hope we don't get caught in too much of a down slide in prices, or we will have to re-think the whole thing. Hopefully if prices start down here, they will also do the same elsewhere. Problem is that if they all slide down about the same percentage that will be a lot more here than there!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #20 of 20 Old Dec 14th, 2005, 12:44 am

TN Move

David,
I must have missed something. When did a Tennessee move come up? Job change or retirement?
Jeff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in