Bettery Tender On A Gt??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 6:53 am Thread Starter

Bettery Tender On A Gt???

I like to use a battery tender but the guys at the dealership told me a "normal" battery tender wouldn't work. Is this so, and what type of charger/tender is needed for an '07 GT.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 7:31 am

Hi Jack, You have to buy the fancy and expensive one that talks to the Canbus. If not, the ZFE (the computer that replaces the fuse box) will shut down.

Its also real easy to put another powerlet port and wire it directly to the battery, or thru a fuse box, though it has to be a charger for the AGM battery.

I know two guys who've both wired two fuse boxes, one always hot and one switched. They both wish they'd now gone with the Painless- 3 always hot, 4 switched AND it comes with a relay.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
post #3 of 11 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 12:45 pm

Since I connect my Battery Tender directly to my battery (bypassing all that silly CanBUS stuff), the same old BT Plus that I used on my LT is the same one I've been using on my GT for the past 13 months or so. No problem.

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 1:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Since I connect my Battery Tender directly to my battery (bypassing all that silly CanBUS stuff), the same old BT Plus that I used on my LT is the same one I've been using on my GT for the past 13 months or so. No problem.
Uhhhh, doesn't the bike have to be stopped sometimes to use a battery tender?

Mine's just for show.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #5 of 11 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 1:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Uhhhh, doesn't the bike have to be stopped sometimes to use a battery tender?
Winter, when the snow's knee-deep . . . or the 2 weeks when I go to the beach. (Just got back home yesterday.)
post #6 of 11 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 9:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Winter, when the snow's knee-deep . . . or the 2 weeks when I go to the beach. (Just got back home yesterday.)

Just where is the access to the battery? I did not get a manual with my bike.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #7 of 11 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 9:18 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Just where is the access to the battery? I did not get a manual with my bike.
Access is with the plastic cover in the front middle of the fuel tank - held on with tow torx head screws.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #8 of 11 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 9:26 pm
Just ridin'

I chose a different approach. I bought a PKT-067 harness from Powerlet Products and a BMW 61131391630 Powerlet socket. I mounted the socket in one of the knockouts for an additional outlet (there are two) right next to the stock outlet. That way I have more than the puny 5-amps to run my Gerbings clothing and a place to connect a standard battery tender.

The good news is the the GT doesn't have the tendency to run the battery down over a few weeks like the LT does. I have yet to need a tender on either of our K1200S or the K1200GT, even during the 6 weeks of snow we endured last winter.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #9 of 11 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 9:44 pm

I ordered an extra manual for my 06 KGT. I can let you have it for $20.00 delivered. it cost me over $30.00. Of course I found the original!!!

Larry
2009 Deep Blue K1300GT
post #10 of 11 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
I ordered an extra manual for my 06 KGT. I can let you have it for $20.00 delivered. it cost me over $30.00. Of course I found the original!!!

Actually, I found my owner's manual. Does anyone know if Clymer has produced a SERVICE manual for the GT yet?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #11 of 11 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 3:15 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Actually, I found my owner's manual. Does anyone know if Clymer has produced a SERVICE manual for the GT yet?
Not yet. Someone on another forum asked Clymer about it and they said they had no plans to produce one at this time. Maybe they're waiting for BMW to get all the bugs worked out first.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in