New Seat Or Riding position - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old May 30th, 2007, 3:04 pm Thread Starter

New Seat Or Riding position

Well. I've already spent $600+ on a Bill Meyer seat, and after the 2nd rework; my Groyn(upper thighs) are still forced into the front part of the seat causing irritation after approx.100mls. I use my legs and knees to straddle the tank areas when braking and decell; and I have to sit close to the tank to attain a better riding position(height 5'9"), and to have less pressure on the wrists, but I dont think the problem is just the seat, as much as not having leverage w/ your feet to push back into seat properly causing uncomfort from being in only one position; sa. a cruiser riding position. Well; I've got at least 1500 mls. on seat rework, and will have to wait and see. If not satisfied; I'm tempted to try a Corbin seat $$ set if anything to get me lower seat. I'm not sure if any of these seats will stop the push forward effect. I'm sure the LT has a better riding position for long day touring, but I'm not going there for a solo rider! Will the Heli bar risers and/orpeg lowers help??

Howie...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old May 30th, 2007, 3:29 pm

I added the raiser bars and they really helped me a lot. I have an appointment for a custom seat next month with Mr. Ed Motto in Oregon.
The custom seat should be able to correct any height issues so that you do not need to lower the pegs but it would have to be a custom fitting.

I also ordered some Gripster Complete Kit from http://piratesk12site.net/TechSpec.htm It's a non-slip deal that you stick to the sides of your gas tank so that you do not ride up on the tank.

Keep working the meyer until the seat is perfect or you get your monty back.
post #3 of 13 Old May 30th, 2007, 7:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemmons
I added the raiser bars and they really helped me a lot. I have an appointment for a custom seat next month with Mr. Ed Motto in Oregon.
The custom seat should be able to correct any height issues so that you do not need to lower the pegs but it would have to be a custom fitting.

I also ordered some Gripster Complete Kit from http://piratesk12site.net/TechSpec.htm It's a non-slip deal that you stick to the sides of your gas tank so that you do not ride up on the tank.

Keep working the meyer until the seat is perfect or you get your monty back.
You mean me or Rocky to keep working it? Well; this is the 2nd rework. I dout any more he would do, and I really dout satisfaction or MY money back, cause I'de take that money right NOW!! The Bill Meyer seat would make a great cruiser seat.
Thanks for reply!!
Howie...

Last edited by HowardRichman; May 30th, 2007 at 10:19 pm.

post #4 of 13 Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:44 am

Howard:

I may have some bad news for you. I had both the risers and peg lowering kit installed when I did a ride-in at Rocky Mayer's. The outcome was superior to the stock seat, but far from what my minimum expectation was for the seat. My final solution was to send the Mayer seat to Russell and have them build me a day-long, which has a shape and seating position equivalent to what I originally asked Rocky to build and did not receive.

YMMV

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 H-D Dyna-Glide Conv.
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc
post #5 of 13 Old Jun 5th, 2007, 9:08 am

Hello Professor, could you tell me where did you buy the Heli bar raisers and the lower pegs for the GT?
Thanks

Juan
post #6 of 13 Old Jun 5th, 2007, 11:48 pm

Product Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgdl
Hello Professor, could you tell me where did you buy the Heli bar raisers and the lower pegs for the GT?
Thanks

Juan

Juan:

Purchased both via the Internet; can't find the exact url for the two products, though. Sorry.

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 H-D Dyna-Glide Conv.
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc
post #7 of 13 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 8:54 am

Helibars.com

I believe this will get you where you need to go....

http://www.helibars.com/

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 1:56 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
The Veholen peg extenders can be bought from Pirates' Lair. I have these and I like th fact that they are adjustable.

Youc an also get a set of peg extenders from Suburban Machinery.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 13 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 9:25 pm

Thanks Jim and Ken, I just finish puting ,my order for both the heli raiser and adjustable pegs.

Juan
post #10 of 13 Old Jun 9th, 2007, 8:14 pm Thread Starter

I just came back from Americade Bike Week in Lake george NY. Before a day's ride in my knees were in pain and cramped from the solo riding position, along w/ a cramped butt. paul Kaun, an ergonomic riding position expert at the event stated the Bill Meyer seat reworkwas a good touring/cruiser type seat,but not a seat for a sport tourer. It needed to be pulled down in the back, cause of no leg support, or leverage in the feet to keep me in it properly. I'm just not sure if I'll ever get used to the sport riding position. I had a much more comfortable riding position comming from my HD tourer riding position.

Howie...
post #11 of 13 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 6:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRichman
If not satisfied; I'm tempted to try a Corbin seat $$ set if anything to get me lower seat. I'm not sure if any of these seats will stop the push forward effect. I'm sure the LT has a better riding position for long day touring, but I'm not going there for a solo rider! Will the Heli bar risers and/orpeg lowers help??

Howie...
I have just fitted my Corbin Saddle with the Smuggler (I never carry a pillion) and the seat is lower than the standard stock seat. I had them add 1/2" to the seat height as I didn't actually want it much lower than the stock, since I used that on the 'high' setting. The main difference is that you don't get that drop towards the tank that occurs on the 06 BMW stock seat. I also have the heli-bar risers and the drop-pegs and they match the saddle position of the Corbin extremely well. I now need to get some miles on it to confirm it's as comfortable after an hour or two as it feels initially. Also gives you a chance of customising the bike a bit more...(This is a silver carbon-fibre leather saddle and backrest to match the CGM)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Corbin CU Small.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	12385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corbin RH with P small.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	12386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corbin RH No P small.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	12387  
post #12 of 13 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 9:03 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Howie,

If your Mayer seat is properly fitted, it will give you some support under the thighs and the main hollow should allow you to stay comfortably planted in the seat even under heavy acceleration or braking. It's possible that you just need a simple adjustment (the seat, actually, not you personally ).

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 13 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 8:23 am Thread Starter

Well; I recently tried to modify the Bill Mayer saddle 06 rework, and got it lower in the rear, but still not right. I called Russell seats and are booked till late Augest. I'll keep the 06 pan for now and either buy the Sargent front which will work w/ my rear covered rear seat, I ride solo anyway, OR, buy the Corbin seat set. When I tried the Corbin, I was pleased w/ the lower height, but as said; hard seat, and what really noticed was it's heavy weight seat pan! The Sargent has two heights, and the lower unit just has less foam. Not sure how that would turn out. What bothers me about the Sargent is there using the 06 pan design, where most of the problems are. They said they dont have the 07 molds for the new 07 gt seat. Not sure if buy a front Sargent; wait for Sargent to come out w/a 07 pan design; or just buy the Corbin seat set ??

Howie...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in