BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Latest Software Version ???

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  bobcopro 
#1 ·
Fri., (5/25/07), I am taking my bike in for a 6,000 mi. service.
Can y'all remind me of the issues that were to be cured by the most recent version please ???

I am still @ Ver. 6.0/ and my only real issue is the snatchy, sensitive, throttle at low rpm's.
If anyone has a suggestion what to tell the service writer to get me the latest software, I would be mucho gracious. I know BMW is on a have to have basis for the updates.
Thanks.

#2 ·
gtdavey said:
Fri., (5/25/07), I am taking my bike in for a 6,000 mi. service.
Can y'all remind me of the issues that were to be cured by the most recent version please ???

I am still @ Ver. 6.0/ and my only real issue is the snatchy, sensitive, throttle at low rpm's.
If anyone has a suggestion what to tell the service writer to get me the latest software, I would be mucho gracious. I know BMW is on a have to have basis for the updates.
Thanks.
Ive seen 8.1 here, but have heard of a 9.0 in Europe (coming to US soon????)

Food for thought

F

#4 ·
Just tell them you have a dangerously snatchy, sensitive throttle at low rpm's, and that you want the latest software update.

#5 ·
Stay away from v9.0 (for the time being)! There are several GT's that I know of that are f*cked up by this update (high idle speed, uncontrollable revs at low speed), despite of upgrading the air filter box and idle speed step motor.

#6 ·
®win said:
Stay away from v9.0 (for the time being)! There are several GT's that I know of that are f*cked up by this update (high idle speed, uncontrollable revs at low speed), despite of upgrading the air filter box and idle speed step motor.

And to top it up once the upgrade done you cannot not go back to an earlier version!!.

#7 ·
Called my dealer. They are using 8.1 as the latest.
They tell me when I requested to have the update done when they perform my 6,000 mi. service on FRi. that "the GT will tell us if it needs the update or not".
Great !
What's next. The friggin' thing drives it self too ??? :crazy:

#8 ·
Working in the sw field, I've always been concerned by Sw controlling so many things. I sometimes have to reboot my TV. This is crazy. Will I have to worry about the day my bike gets a virus?

Now if we could update the Sw ourselves, and tweak it to fix our own throttle problems, I can start to see some benefit.

#12 ·
Backfiring usually indicates an exhaust leak. When decelerating, some unburnt fuel will get into the exhaust system. Normally, it cools as it travels through the exhaust and exits without any major drama. But if there is an exhaust leak, the fuel is combined with O2 from the outside air and can ignite.

A poorly mapped fuel injection setup (or troublesome carburetor) can also make this a much more common occurence.

I'd say look over your exhaust system for any soot or other signs of exhaust leaks, especially near where the muffler attaches to the header pipe (have you had tires changed or other work done in that area recently?).

But I also wouldn't rule out a crappy fuel injection map, especially with BMW's current software-of-the-week program.

You can read more about it here, here and here. Just ignore any references to carburetors and their pilot circuits.

#16 ·
My understanding from my dealer is they can put whatever software that's on their computer onto the bike. In order to go backwards, they would have to re-load their computer with an earlier version, something most dealers would be VERY hesitant to do. They for the most are not computer savvy and can barely operate the system, so this scenario would seem unlikely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.