Top Box questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DTimberg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Jun 8th, 2019, 12:00 pm Thread Starter

Top Box questions

I have a 2010 K1300GT. Does anyone know of a place to get a BMW Top Box used, or at any place other than the dealer that could make them less expensive? They are over $1000 with the tax and offer nothing as far as additional lighting. These two things make you consider a Givi Maxia, even with the $150 bracket needed is far less money, about half as much. The only true benefit I see in having the BMW Top Box is keying it to match making it a one-key setup.
Also, is it safe to assume that the BMW top case with full equipment (Part# 77 43 8 544 631) will only work on the RT?
Thanks much in advance for any responses, I appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Jun 8th, 2019, 12:23 pm

Re: Top Box questions

This is the one I have on my K1300GT. It is the smaller BMW case. I think it looks better than the bigger one on the K1300. It's about $550.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007859A4W

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2001 R1150GS (gone -- victim of a Highway 28 curve)
2002 K1200LT Trike (now history, transmission died)
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 25 Old Jun 8th, 2019, 9:36 pm

Check the BMWMOA website & look in their marketplace. You can usually find some good deals on the 49 liter box. Check EBay also.

post #4 of 25 Old Jun 9th, 2019, 11:06 am

Garage

I have a 2009 K1300GT with a 49L top box that I use on rare occasions. Speaking from experience, if you are using the large top box and in windy situations, the combination of the top box and the flat side fairngs can get a little hairy. I've resorted to using the BMW 33L expandable tail bag for trips now. Much more stable in high winds. The part number you referenced will work on a K1300GT. It's the same box I have that I used on my 2005 RT.

2009 K1300 GT
2005 R1200 RT - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 Old Jun 9th, 2019, 10:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger man View Post
Check the BMWMOA website & look in their marketplace. You can usually find some good deals on the 49 liter box. Check EBay also.
Thanks for the suggestions. I have been checking Ebay & Craigslist regularly the past 4-5 months and unfortunately I only seem to find new items there, usually they don't even include the lock cylinder. I tried viewing the BMWMOA Marketplace last night many times and it won't let me see anything unless I join, regardless of what their rules say about allowing guests. Maybe it's just operator error but I'll contact them or call this week to confirm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF1200RT View Post
Speaking from experience, if you are using the large top box and in windy situations, the combination of the top box and the flat side fairngs can get a little hairy. I've resorted to using the BMW 33L expandable tail bag for trips now. Much more stable in high winds.
Is it really that bad? I mean, if it's really windy it's an undesirably turbulent ride sure, but the Top Case makes it that much worse? I would think your body would force a good % of the wind around it but if it feels unsafe that's another thing completely. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by 4wheelsare2toomany; Jun 9th, 2019 at 11:55 pm.
post #6 of 25 Old Jun 10th, 2019, 5:33 am

Garage

That was my experience. Since I don't ride two up, on long trips I put my small cooler and sleeping bag on the back seat. It helps with directing air around the top box which helps. If you can find someone that will let you borrow one for a while give it a try.

2009 K1300 GT
2005 R1200 RT - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone

post #7 of 25 Old Jun 10th, 2019, 8:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF1200RT View Post
That was my experience. Since I don't ride two up, on long trips I put my small cooler and sleeping bag on the back seat. It helps with directing air around the top box which helps. If you can find someone that will let you borrow one for a while give it a try.
I had a K1300GT a few years back and yes strong side winds could move you round a bit.
post #8 of 25 Old Jun 10th, 2019, 2:31 pm

I had the small top case for awhile. Sold it, bought the 44L and rarely take it off. Same with the saddle bags. It's been years. I ridden in some very windy conditions. You just adapt. I mean the only real way to compare would be to ride in very windy conditions with and without the big top case. I'm glad I got the big case. Wouldn't go back.
post #9 of 25 Old Jun 14th, 2019, 12:12 pm

You are a hair late. I sold mine recently for 900 bucks with a light bar
post #10 of 25 Old Jun 14th, 2019, 12:50 pm

Garage

I bought a GIVI V47 and bracket from a vendor in Spain (best price). Custom bracket fit my 2016 R1200RT (no central locking) perfectly and looks great. Quality is as good or better than the BMW case and I think it looks better on the bike. Out the door for $380. GIVI makes a lot of different styles and sizes. Im happy with the 47 liter for 1 man touring, the larger one just seemed too big for my needs. Also, Admore makes custom LED light kits for GIVI cases. They are a bit expensive at $140 but the visibility is great. Having a different key is a bit of a pain but not $1000 worth of pain. Im going to look into trying to replace the GIVI lock cylinder with a BMW cylinder. The BMW cases are ridiculously overpriced. Save the money and buy a light kit and some other Farkle. If you have an email I would be happy to send you some pictures. Im not very good at uploading stuff in this forum.
darammer likes this.
post #11 of 25 Old Jun 15th, 2019, 11:03 pm

I have a GIVI V47 on my R1200RT. Bought it from Motostorm in Italy as it was the cheapest around with the conversion rates at the time. The tourpack looks good on the RT and can easily fit my Neotec helmet and a jacket along with some other misc things. The only thing I wish was different was that I could open it without the key, but it is not that big of a deal.

If I were to buy a top box again, today, Id buy the SHAD SH95X, which you can change on the fly to 46, 52 or 58 liters in size and I believe doesn't need a key to open if left unlocked - https://www.shadusa.com/products/d0b59100.

Rami

2012 BMW R1200RT - Ostra Grey - Current
2004 BMW R1150RT - Titan Silver - Sold
2005 Yamaha Stratoliner Midnight - Black and Chrome - Totalled
2003 Yamaha Road Star Silverado LE Silver Edition #0298/1600 - Sold
1998 Honda Shadow Ace Tourer- Jade Green and Cream - Rode her till she would ride no more.
post #12 of 25 Old Jun 16th, 2019, 11:33 pm

Garage

I purchased my 2010 K1300GT in January replaced the color-matched 28l BMW top case with a Givi 46 and added the Admore lights. The bike also had a matching Corbin Smuggler rear seat case that I don't use as it doesn't fit with the Givi case. I may sell them as a set in the future as I commute daily in Phoenix and need the extra capacity. I don't know why anyone buying a new bike with cases would elect the smaller cases to begin with.

2010 K1300GT
1990 K75RT
2005 ST1300 (Sold)
2006 Concours (Sold)
2001 K1200LT (Sold)
1994 K75 (Sold)
2001 Concours (Sold)
post #13 of 25 Old Jun 17th, 2019, 12:29 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wethead View Post
You are a hair late. I sold mine recently for 900 bucks with a light bar
It would’ve been nice to have a shot at it. If only I had posted earlier. Oh well…
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTimberg View Post
I’m happy with the 47 liter for 1 man touring, the larger one just seemed too big for my needs. (and) If you have an email I would be happy to send you some pictures.
By larger one do you mean the Maxia 56? I do have an email and would like to see the pics, but sadly my post count is not yet high enough to use the PM yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darammer View Post
If I were to buy a top box again, today, Id buy the SHAD SH95X, which you can change on the fly to 46, 52 or 58 liters in size and I believe doesn't need a key to open if left unlocked.
This actually looks very interesting and I looked into it pretty heavily last night. Have you or anyone seen the mounting bracket issues though? It looks pretty convoluted with frustrating install instructions. Some even mention having to drill holes for some BMW installs? This needs more research but didn’t look very promising from a mounting perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsimpson58 View Post
The bike also had a matching Corbin Smuggler rear seat case that I don't use as it doesn't fit with the Givi case. I may sell them as a set in the future...
I would be interested in this, but after re-reading this I think you probably mean selling the 28L Top Box and the Corbin seat together, and keeping the Givi.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback, it’s helping quite a bit and I really appreciate it all.

Last edited by 4wheelsare2toomany; Jun 17th, 2019 at 4:46 pm.
post #14 of 25 Old Jun 17th, 2019, 5:38 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quick question: What color is your K13GT?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 25 Old Jun 17th, 2019, 4:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese View Post
Quick question: What color is your K13GT?
It's Magnesium Beige Metallic, just like I see in your Signature.
post #16 of 25 Old Jun 17th, 2019, 6:24 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I may just be your new best friend.

I have a factory BMW 49L top case, painted Magnesium Beige Metallic, that I never installed on my GT.

I had it painted, then decided to turn the GT into an Iron Butt bike with a custom fuel cell and Pelican top case.

You can see the full setup in the pic below, which is after I took out a deer on the last night of the 2017 IBR.

Let me dig the box out of the basement, then I'll send you a PM with details.

Yes, that's a clear shower curtain and duct tape being used to cover my shattered headlight. It worked, and got me another 2,000 miles home...

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #17 of 25 Old Jun 17th, 2019, 8:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheelsare2toomany View Post

This actually looks very interesting and I looked into it pretty heavily last night. Have you or anyone seen the mounting bracket issues though? It looks pretty convoluted with frustrating install instructions. Some even mention having to drill holes for some BMW installs? This needs more research but didn’t look very promising from a mounting perspective.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback, it’s helping quite a bit and I really appreciate it all.

I have not installed a SHAD case, but the adapter instructions look just like the adapter that I bought for my GIVI which was super easy to install. No drilling, and no more than 20 minutes to fully install. You could easily cut that in half if you had a spare pair of hands.

Happy to discuss the installation deeper if you wish.

Rami

2012 BMW R1200RT - Ostra Grey - Current
2004 BMW R1150RT - Titan Silver - Sold
2005 Yamaha Stratoliner Midnight - Black and Chrome - Totalled
2003 Yamaha Road Star Silverado LE Silver Edition #0298/1600 - Sold
1998 Honda Shadow Ace Tourer- Jade Green and Cream - Rode her till she would ride no more.
post #18 of 25 Old Jun 18th, 2019, 11:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I may just be your new best friend.
This sounds like a golden opportunity, and you sure would be if you would consider doing this!

Your bike looks incredibly thought out through years of experience and necessity. While Im not of IBA Caliber I have had several 1000 mile days Ive been through so I understand the need for almost everything Im seeing there.
The Russell Day Long looks pretty good on there, I'll have to keep that in mind too.

When I saw your pic my first reaction was, Oh, thats smart, protecting the headlight area like youd do on a track day by removing some of the Tupperware. Then I read the part about taking out a deer and thought, How did you survive that? Then I saw the sign and figured its a great play on words. Now I dont know what to think. lol

I don't know if I can receive PM's or not, but I know I can't send them yet. Might be able to reply to yours, who knows. Look forward to hearing from you.
post #19 of 25 Old Jun 24th, 2019, 2:00 am
IBR# 366

Garage

I have located the top box, but I'm out of town tonight.

Let me get you some pics tomorrow.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #20 of 25 Old Jun 24th, 2019, 7:38 am

post #21 of 25 Old Jun 25th, 2019, 11:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinbrown9722 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I have been checking Ebay & Craigslist regularly the past 4-5 months and unfortunately I only seem to find new items there, usually they don't even include the lock cylinder.
With Ray's help I was finally able to view the BMWMOA Marketplace and its probably my timing but no joy was found there.
(anyone feel like this is Dj vu? Read back to posts 3 & 5 and youll see what I mean)
Quote:
I have located the top box, but I'm out of town tonight.
Besides, if Mr. Meese comes through my search will probably be over anyways.
post #22 of 25 Old Jun 26th, 2019, 8:09 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Sorry, it's been a crazy week.

I got back from the Iron Butt Rally checkpoint, and then flew to Atlanta the day after.

I'll be home again before the 4th...

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #23 of 25 Old Jun 27th, 2019, 4:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry, it's been a crazy week.
Ahhhh, what? That Rally is on now? Holy crap, for some reason I thought that wasn't until later in the year like July or August and this was the semi-calm time before the storm. A Major event like that is far more important than trying to help a guy online. Although I appreciate all the efforts here, just forget about this for now and enjoy yourself. There's really no urgency here, this can be taken care of when you're done, more relaxed and have the free time. I'm about to go on vacation myself for July 4th week anyways. See you when I see you and Good luck.
post #24 of 25 Old Jun 27th, 2019, 10:09 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #25 of 25 Old Oct 6th, 2019, 12:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I have located the top box...
Are you still willing to do this? Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in