Starting problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By TF1200RT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old May 28th, 2019, 12:06 pm Thread Starter

Starting problem

Ive got a low millage 09 K1300gt. road it 6 miles stopped & now it wont start or even turn over.Bump started it instantly. Loads of power in the battery but starter doesn't seem to engage & cant hear a solenoid click. Side stand switch seems ok,tried 2nd key & it started but now wont start on either key. They say switch is a weak point so taken it apart but not sure which wire goes from the button as they are very close. Wondered if i can by pass the switch with a length of cable to see if that does it.Any ideas folks? Getting to the starter looks a pig,is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old May 28th, 2019, 12:52 pm

Re: Starting problem

Starter is accessed by removing the plastic, then fuel tank and you can see it now. Of course work your way through the easy stuff first. I suggest you purchase the Clymers manual and the OEM DVD for all your bike maintenance and needed details on how to work on it. Some of the bikes suffer from hot start problems but your's doesn't seem to be that.
Have you done a load test on your battery. It may be reading proper voltage and fire up low loads but when hit with the starter it should read 9.5 minimum, generally a little higher Take the reading while the starter is cranking or the attempt to get it to crank.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #3 of 14 Old May 28th, 2019, 3:03 pm Thread Starter

Hi,I have put a battery jump starter pack on it capable of starting a 6ltr engine so battery power is not the problem.
As you say its not a hot start problem it wont start or even attempt to turn over at all hot or cold.Disconnected the battery over night but next morning everything works it just wont spin over. Only done 12,000 miles with full service history & is like new. Are there relays on these or does the canbus replace all that?

post #4 of 14 Old May 28th, 2019, 3:20 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
Hi,I have put a battery jump starter pack on it capable of starting a 6ltr engine so battery power is not the problem.
It's not the battery that you are using to jump start the bike with, he is suggesting you load test the battery as it sits in the bike. There was a service bulletin regarding the cable from the battery to the starter that has a load issue when the bike is hot (dealers installed a thicker cable). If there was an issue with the switch, it would not start (this I know).

2009 K1300 GT
2005 R1200 RT - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
post #5 of 14 Old May 28th, 2019, 4:18 pm Thread Starter

dont understand,even if the battery on the bike was failing putting a high power jump pack on it will boost it to easily cope thats why its a jump pack ie for starting things that have a flat or failing battery. Also the bike wont start with the switch thats why im asking is it possibly the switch? Thick cable or thin it should still turn over or try but its dead !Also its always started hot or cold !
post #6 of 14 Old May 28th, 2019, 4:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I am curious why the bike started with the spare key, one time. As for the high power battery jump starter pack , don't they gain their start power by having a higher than normal voltage like 17 plus volts. Maybe the electronics on the bike are sensitive to high and low voltages. Load test the main battery. Or at least see how far the voltage dips when cranking.
I have a Fluke 87 VOM that has a record feature built in so you can hook it up and let it record high and low volts while cranking, standing or running. Nice feature.

McWideglide

Jeff M.
2002 Harley Dyna Wideglide
2016 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT sold
1976 BMW R90/6 sold
1967 BSA 441 Victor sold
post #7 of 14 Old May 28th, 2019, 9:28 pm

Garage

This may sound crazy, but are you trying to start the bike in neutral or in gear with the clutch pulled in? My bike went through an issue where it wouldn't start in first gear. Turned out that the Pazzo adjustable lever on the clutch side was not letting the micro switch in the switch gear engage to start the bike while it was in gear. I had to adjust the lever out one setting. Put the bike in a quiet area, pull in on the clutch a couple of times and listen near the clutch lever for a faint clicking sound. That would be the micro switch engaging and disengaging. If you don't hear anything, the switch could be out of adjustment.
beech likes this.

2009 K1300 GT
2005 R1200 RT - gone
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R

Last edited by TF1200RT; May 28th, 2019 at 9:35 pm.
post #8 of 14 Old May 29th, 2019, 5:59 am Thread Starter

Thanks but how can i test the drain on the battery during cranking when this post is asking why the bike wont crank?
The jumps pack only puts out 14 volts otherwise it would damage some ecu etc
post #9 of 14 Old May 29th, 2019, 6:06 am Thread Starter

Nothing happens in gear, out of gear, clutch in ,clutch out. If the battery was a problem the lights would dim when i tried the starter but they dont, the starter doesn't even try to turn. Although the starter switch etc seems to be the new type i wonder if that has failed? Anyone know the wiring diagram for the switch as I cant get hold of a manual for this bike yet
post #10 of 14 Old May 29th, 2019, 6:59 am

Garage

I looked at the RepRom. there is a starter relay on the bike.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Relay.pdf (117.5 KB, 18 views)

2009 K1300 GT
2005 R1200 RT - gone
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
post #11 of 14 Old May 29th, 2019, 10:01 am

"how can I test...." It is just one clue, If it goes to 9.5 volts, (and the starter does not even roll) it is still a load from a frozen starter or a bad battery. With what you say no lights dimming, it seems your starter relay is not functioning.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #12 of 14 Old May 30th, 2019, 6:51 pm

Garage

You need to find someone with a GS-911 to diagnose the problem. If you plan on keeping the bike for a while, it would be a good investment. I also bought a manual from these folks - http://motoservicemanual.com/bmw-k13...ervice-manual/

2009 K1300 GT
2005 R1200 RT - gone
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
post #13 of 14 Old Jun 1st, 2019, 6:22 am Thread Starter

Ive been trying to trace the wires on the starter switch by probing them with a pin & just a test light. The switch wires seem to be ribbons set in a thick gel coat(not sure if this is the updated replacement or not) . After some time scraping solder joints etc the power came back through the complete circuit & the bike starts every time!!! Guess its a dry joint on the switch but if it happens again at least I know i can which wires to connect to bypass the switch to start the bike.
This is what I hoped & why I didnt want to spend hours striping the bike to get to the starter. Much easier to start with the simple stuff first.
Thanks all for your help
post #14 of 14 Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 7:45 am Thread Starter

It seems I have the old switch but over here there was no recall so BMW want 160 JUST TO SUPPLY THE SWITCH !!!! I have complained to BMW but with no luck. Seems daft they know its a fault but do nothing about it!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in