Darn it [emoji31][emoji24][emoji47] - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Feb 13th, 2019, 9:29 am Thread Starter

Darn it

I just got through adding another auxiliary light on my K1300GT. To hook it up the way I wanted to I had to get access to a particular wire running to the headlight. This meant taking off the windshield and all of the tuperware on the front of the bike. This took about an hour to take it off, 5 minutes to connect the wire, and an hour to put everything back together. The light works perfectly but when I tested everything else I realized that I forgot to reconnect the wires that I had disconnected to the windshield. The windshield is in the position I ride in 99% of the time so I don't know if I am going to spend another 2 hours work to reconnect those wires. . I probably will though because now I have a switch on my handlebars that doesn't do anything. That will drive me crazy

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2001 R1150GS (gone -- victim of a Highway 28 curve)
2002 K1200LT Trike (now history, transmission died)
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Feb 13th, 2019, 10:53 am

Re: Darn it

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrickland55 View Post
I just got through adding another auxiliary light on my K1300GT. To hook it up the way I wanted to I had to get access to a particular wire running to the headlight. This meant taking off the windshield and all of the tuperware on the front of the bike. This took about an hour to take it off, 5 minutes to connect the wire, and an hour to put everything back together. The light works perfectly but when I tested everything else I realized that I forgot to reconnect the wires that I had disconnected to the windshield. The windshield is in the position I ride in 99% of the time so I don't know if I am going to spend another 2 hours work to reconnect those wires. . I probably will though because now I have a switch on my handlebars that doesn't do anything. That will drive me crazy

I just spent 11 hours doing my timing belt on my cage. I can guarantee you that I double checked everything going back together as I did not want to have to take it apart again for something small but important! Luckily, my only failing was not getting the new alternator belt tight enough so it was squealing and not charging properly.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Feb 13th, 2019, 8:32 pm

Yeah, I wanted to change the high beams on my K1300GT to PIAA's, but I don't want to deal with removing the windshield and all of the other crap. My hands won't fit in the tight spaces.

2009 K1300GT
2005 BMW R1200RT - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo

post #4 of 5 Old Feb 14th, 2019, 6:46 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrickland55 View Post

Pssst...Hey, Al...it's all about perspective. Sometimes you have to count your blessings more than your troubles. First...you live in Blairsville! I would rather live there spending two hours tinkering with a BMW than spending two hours inside the Atlanta beltway trying to get to the grocery store! There are folks who would just about kill to live where you live! No matter what direction your compass is pointed, you have great motorcycle routes! No boring hours of flatland roads to get to a good bike trail. Now that you have practice...take another hour or so and fix the connectors...then take a little cruise over Blood Mountain...perhaps add a ride along the main drag through Helen...and as you stand out among the sea of Hogs & Harley Wannabe clones...try not to harm your smile muscles as you realize you are riding one of the most distinctly cool bikes on the road!

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"

post #5 of 5 Old Feb 15th, 2019, 9:57 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You don't need to get into the nose to get to the head light wire. It comes off of pin 46 with a Yellow/White wire at the ZFE module on the right side of the bike.

I know "Now you tell me!"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ZFE Panel.PNG
Views:	28
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	149861   Click image for larger version

Name:	ZFE.PNG
Views:	26
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	149863  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in