Handlebar switchgear R&R “project” - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Mar 13th, 2018, 10:05 am Thread Starter

Handlebar switchgear R&R “project”

I purchased my ‘07 GT the first weekend in December of 2017, so just a few months ago. Since then I’ve replaced the clutch and seat, and am working my way through a few issues that are for the most part cosmetic and not functional.

One issue is that the lettering and symbols on the switches are mostly illegible, and though I know what function each switch has, cleaner switches are my current project. So with my eBay purchase of very good replacements for what I think is a good price of $120 delivered for both left and right switches, I’m into the replacement process. I’ve removed the bodywork and found the left hand disconnect conveniently placed on the left under the gas tank cover; out in the open, easy to get to. And I discovered the bike has a Module Master rebuilt ABS pump. The right hand disconnect is a bit less conveniently located further forward behind the right side of the instrument surround, thus requiring additionally pulling the instrument bezel and surround.

At this point I have the wiring harnesses from both left and right switch housings freed from their routings and will replace the switches this evening, likely installing the bodywork tomorrow.

Nothing extraordinary to report, just putting it out there. This bike did sit unused for 14 months or so before I bought it on consignment from my local BMW dealer, so I’m finding evidence of many spiders making homes in the cracks and crevices.

Joe

And my photos are too big to attach...use your imagination I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Mar 15th, 2018, 6:35 am Thread Starter

Project finished last evening; switchgear replaced Tuesday and instrument surround installed as well, side panels installed yesterday.

All went well. The wiring harnesses from the switches are “custom” routed, meaning I couldn’t snake my hands in everywhere so the harnesses are secured where functional and convenient. The only WTF moment came when removing the switches: my eBay purchase of a service manual on CD (say what you will about a bootleg service manual) didn’t show the small, black, countersunk screw secretly tucked away in the mirror mount groove on the forward side of the brake and clutch reservoirs. So I tugged for a few moments thinking I needed to pull a locking-tab free before spotting the little screw.

As I said, it’s all reassembled and ready to ride again, looking much cleaner with the new switchgear.

Joe
post #3 of 3 Old Mar 15th, 2018, 8:51 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Handlebar switchgear R&R “project”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's '06 RT View Post

And my photos are too big to attach...use your imagination I guess.
If you are running windows and Microsoft office you can open your pictures with Microsoft Office picture manager and edit them with a resize. I usually go to 35% and that will get a large picture down to size for posting. Shoot for 180 to 300 Kb in size.

That screw is an elusive one.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in