Anti-theft alarm - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Dec 17th, 2017, 7:22 pm Thread Starter

Anti-theft alarm

I have a 2006 RT with the anti-theft alarm module. After owning the bike for two years the display for low battery in the alarm module came on so I replaced that battery and the one in the fob. The alarm is now fully functional. A week ago I bought a 2007 K1200GT that was on consignment at my local BMW dealer. The GT is equipped the same as my RT: ESA, heated grips and seats, BC, cruise. The GT does not have the alarm module but it does have the wiring harness for the module. I moved the alarm module over to the GT to see if it would work in both bikes because, as far as I know, the alarm module is "paired" only to the fob. When I press the button to arm the alarm I get three "beeps" from the module and no indication the alarm is armed; no flashing of turn signals and no blinking of the telltale light in the dash. The alarm is again fully functional when reinstall it in the RT. The instructions for the alarm make no mention of moving the alarm from bike to bike; doesn't say I can, doesn't say I can't.

So am I missing a step or two and the module can be put into another bike? Any insight?

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Dec 18th, 2017, 1:46 pm

Garage
Re: Anti-theft alarm

Look at the BMW parts fiched to see if it is the same part number.

2009 K1300 GT
2005 R1200 RT - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
post #3 of 5 Old Dec 20th, 2017, 10:25 am

You may need dealer assistance to pair the alarm module to your K1200GT.

I looked at Hexcode's GS911 website. Their diagnostic modules can read and clear fault codes, but "service functionality" for the alarm is listed as a "future" feature. To me, that implies that there may be other alarm-related functions (pairing, perhaps?) that can only be done by a dealer for now.

All of the above is just a hunch. You could try asking Ted Porter at the Beemershop (who sells and supports the GS911 products in the USA).

post #4 of 5 Old Dec 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip.
post #5 of 5 Old Dec 21st, 2017, 9:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's '06 RT View Post
Thanks for the tip.
You're welcome.

Another potential issue is whether your K1200GT on-board computer (ZFE module) is compatible with the alarm you moved from the RT.

There were several different models of the ZFE module for the K1200GT. I know that, because BMW changed the ESA shocks between 2007 and 2008. The 2007 models use potentiometers. The newer shocks use Hall Effect. If you have an older ZFE, it is not compatible with the newer shocks. A newer ZFE works with both types of shocks.

My point is that it is possible, but not likely, that your ZFE is not compatible with the alarm you pulled from the RT. It probably is compatible, but you won't know for sure unless you check.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in