Contemplating a 2007 K1200GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Dec 15th, 2017, 5:35 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 12
Contemplating a 2007 K1200GT

Hey All,

I recently found this forum and have been reading whatever I can get my eyes on so far. Just wondering if there were any words of wisdom for me from the experienced people that may read this...

An opportunity is coming up to purchase a 2007 K1200GT with 6,000 miles on it at a very reasonable price. I havenít owned a motorcycle in several years, but have been wanting one again. But Iíd like one that is comfortable for 2up riding and some day/weekend trips or possibly longer.

Most of my riding experience has been on a Triumph Speed Triple, or a Suzuki GS. I enjoyed those bikes but on group rides I was always at the back because my riding preference is to stick pretty close to the speed limit and just enjoy a more leisurely ride. Even then those bikes werenít exactly the most comfortable for full day rides which is what i tended to do.

The BMW opportunity is a bike that I understand to be BMW serviced, owner completed oil changes, but for the last two years it was in storage. A fresh oil change was done since it was pulled out and it has been started but not ridden. With winter here depending on when I get to see it any sort of ride may not be an option.

So my questions are:

-Anything in particular I should look for?

-Any advice for someone like me that is interested in this bike but completely new to BMWs?

When I first found out about this bike I was out of state and the local dealer there happened to have the same bike for sale. So, I have looked at one up close and at least sat on it and gotten a little feel for seating position and ride height, but not ridden one.
theboatlife is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old Dec 15th, 2017, 8:44 am
Senior Member
 
TF1200RT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SAT - LAX
Posts: 186
Garage
Re: Contemplating a 2007 K1200GT

Make sure you change ALL of the fluids after a two year storage. There are a few dealer recalls that should have been done (fuel pump, software upgrade for idle issue, rear wheel flange). Also on 2007-2008 bikes, there is an upgrade for the airbox.

2009 K1300 GT
2005 R1200 RT - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
TF1200RT is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old Dec 15th, 2017, 11:45 pm
Senior Member
 
beech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mount Vernon, WA, USA
Posts: 2,504
Re: Contemplating a 2007 K1200GT

This era bike can be very problematic. Mainly in drivability. Some are cured by the airbox up grade with fresh software. Others are just a handful. It would be important to take it for a ride, make sure it does not stall on you slowing down or at stops. This would be a half hour ride to get it warmed up. Keep in mind that this model bike, the transverse engine, are one of the most expensive BMW's to maintain if you don't do your own work. When running well they are good. The price range for this bike should be below 5500$ in my opinion. The VIN number taken to your dealer will give you a read out of any BMW shop work done to it and recall work.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
beech is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old Dec 16th, 2017, 5:41 am
Senior Member
 
TF1200RT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SAT - LAX
Posts: 186
Garage
Re: Contemplating a 2007 K1200GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
Keep in mind that this model bike, the transverse engine, are one of the most expensive BMW's to maintain if you don't do your own work.
I forgot that part. And as far as comfort level goes, just sitting on the bike is not enough. I had to add a custom seat, lowering pegs and highway pegs to my bike to make it half as comfortable as my old R1200RT.

2009 K1300 GT
2005 R1200 RT - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone

Last edited by TF1200RT; Dec 16th, 2017 at 5:46 am.
TF1200RT is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old Dec 16th, 2017, 9:20 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 12
Re: Contemplating a 2007 K1200GT

What about the engine makes it the most expensive BMW to maintain?
theboatlife is online now  
post #6 of 12 Old Dec 16th, 2017, 11:51 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 12
Re: Contemplating a 2007 K1200GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
This era bike can be very problematic. Mainly in drivability. Some are cured by the airbox up grade with fresh software. Others are just a handful. It would be important to take it for a ride, make sure it does not stall on you slowing down or at stops. This would be a half hour ride to get it warmed up. Keep in mind that this model bike, the transverse engine, are one of the most expensive BMW's to maintain if you don't do your own work. When running well they are good. The price range for this bike should be below 5500$ in my opinion. The VIN number taken to your dealer will give you a read out of any BMW shop work done to it and recall work.


Yeah the price is well below that, which is why this has become an option for me. That and the GF wants something we can do some 2up road trips with.

I know any BMW would be more expensive to maintain over other brands, but what kind of maintenance costs are we talking about?
theboatlife is online now  
post #7 of 12 Old Dec 16th, 2017, 3:20 pm
Senior Member
 
TF1200RT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SAT - LAX
Posts: 186
Garage
Re: Contemplating a 2007 K1200GT

If you can't do the work yourself, valve checks are expensive because you have to remove all bodywork, radiator and valve cover. If you have to adjust a valve, the camshafts have to be removed which takes more time. Clutch replacement is expensive (if you need one). Clutch baskets are $1300 and the clutch package is $1200. If you have ESA II, replacement shock for the rear is $3600 and the front is $1700. I can go on.....

2009 K1300 GT
2005 R1200 RT - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
TF1200RT is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old Dec 17th, 2017, 7:28 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 12
Re: Contemplating a 2007 K1200GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF1200RT View Post
If you can't do the work yourself, valve checks are expensive because you have to remove all bodywork, radiator and valve cover. If you have to adjust a valve, the camshafts have to be removed which takes more time. Clutch replacement is expensive (if you need one). Clutch baskets are $1300 and the clutch package is $1200. If you have ESA II, replacement shock for the rear is $3600 and the front is $1700. I can go on.....


Well that all sounds scary and expensive, which is exactly what I wanted to know about, yet people still love these bikes and dedicate entire forums to them. So yeah, repairs can definitely be pricey, but I imagine they are fairly reliable, even the older ones at this point, otherwise why would anyone keep them right? Or am I completely off track with my thinking?
theboatlife is online now  
post #9 of 12 Old Dec 18th, 2017, 1:48 pm
Senior Member
 
TF1200RT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SAT - LAX
Posts: 186
Garage
Re: Contemplating a 2007 K1200GT

It is a reliable bike. It's just that when something breaks, 1300's and 1600's are really expensive to fix. Those inline motors are pricey. Looking at your username, you should be used to shelling out money.

(owning a boat = standing in the shower and throwing $100 bills down the drain)

2009 K1300 GT
2005 R1200 RT - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone

Last edited by TF1200RT; Dec 18th, 2017 at 2:50 pm.
TF1200RT is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old Dec 18th, 2017, 3:42 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 12
Re: Contemplating a 2007 K1200GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF1200RT View Post
It is a reliable bike. It's just that when something breaks, 1300's and 1600's are really expensive to fix. Those inline motors are pricey. Looking at your username, you should be used to shelling out money.

(owning a boat = standing in the shower and throwing $100 bills down the drain)


Man I appreciate the insight for sure, Iím just trying to get a feel for the upside and the downside of owning that bike. There are definitely a lot of threads about repairs and issues, I guess Iíve been missing most of the ďI love this bike because...Ē threads.

And youíre right, I should be used to standing in a cold shower with all my clothes on ripping up $100 bills, but luckily I can fix most anything I need to on my old boat. And living aboard in Texas is the only reason I can afford it, no mortgage payment ;-)
theboatlife is online now  
post #11 of 12 Old Dec 19th, 2017, 4:10 am
Senior Member
 
TF1200RT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SAT - LAX
Posts: 186
Garage
Re: Contemplating a 2007 K1200GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboatlife View Post
Living aboard in Texas is the only reason I can afford it, no mortgage payment ;-)
Where are you on the coast? Our club is up in San Antonio (SAT). I'm a transplant from the West coast (LAX) and reaped the benefits also. I guess I forgot to add, "I love my bike" to my posts. Once I got it to where it was comfortable for me on long trips, I don't miss my 1200RT anymore.

2009 K1300 GT
2005 R1200 RT - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
TF1200RT is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old Dec 19th, 2017, 11:23 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 12
Re: Contemplating a 2007 K1200GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF1200RT View Post
Where are you on the coast? Our club is up in San Antonio (SAT). I'm a transplant from the West coast (LAX) and reaped the benefits also. I guess I forgot to add, "I love my bike" to my posts. Once I got it to where it was comfortable for me on long trips, I don't miss my 1200RT anymore.


Home is over in Houston, but I work out of Newark so most of my time for now is spent up in NY on Long Island. Hopefully Iíll be back in Texas before too long.
theboatlife is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To Buy or Not to Buy a 2007 K1200GT Bryannagirl K1200/1300GT (The Next Generation) 20 Jun 4th, 2017 6:22 am
Contemplating buying a K1200GT smartypants K1200/1300GT (The Next Generation) 4 Jun 20th, 2009 4:42 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome