Introduction of sorts - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Dec 9th, 2017, 6:57 pm Thread Starter

Introduction of sorts

All,

My name is Joe and I've been riding motorcycles for about 47 of my 57 years. I started on mini bikes, followed that with dirt bikes, and have been on street bikes for the past 37 or so years. I've had Japanese bikes, HDs, one Ducati, and in January of '16 bought my first BMW, that being an '06 RT. I was back and forth between the RT and a K1200GT and am very happy with the RT. But the K bike kept gnawing at me, so last Friday I bought a blue one that was on consignment at my local BMW dealer. I'm in Winston-Salem, NC and Friday and today we had our first snow of the season, so the GT is still at the dealer as they did not open today due to the weather. Tomorrow, Sunday, the salesman, Turtle, with the good folks of Carolina BMW in Greensboro, will meet me at the dealer at noon so I can bring the GT home. Sure, it'll be in the mid 30s but sunny, and a heated seat and grips, and my heated gear will make it a comfy 40 minute ride home.

My "new" '07 GT has about 38k on the odo, and has the same features as my RT with: the aforementioned heated seats and grips, ESA, cruise, and the BC. As an added "bonus feature", the right hand fairing panel is from a K1300GT so it has the roundel in the vent ... K13 from the right, K12 from the left, we'll see who notices! My only gripe is a previous owner replaced the seat covers with leather and they've weathered poorly leaving the rider seat looking a bit shrunken. But I'll replace the seats and try my hand at recovering the originals.

All that said, I've been registered here and frequenting the RT section of this forum for going on two years. I look forward to the same benefits from this GT forum as I continue to enjoy on the RT forum!

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Dec 10th, 2017, 2:01 pm

Re: Introduction of sorts

Congrats on your new K bike. You will find it rather quick. I love my K bike. There is a rally in your area in September with other K bike riders that I recommend. Unfortunately the IBMW.com site is down this weekend and I can't get the link for you. The new generation K bikes have extensive information at their site also. Start saving your money for tires. Do a dealer computer check for updates, warranty work and service bulletins. If no proof of service at 18000 miles your bike is due for a valve check. They are stable but between 35 and 50,000 miles they need work. If not already done you may need the "new" air box. It is a relatively easy self job, just takes time. It will teach you a lot about the bike.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #3 of 4 Old Dec 11th, 2017, 5:47 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!

post #4 of 4 Old Dec 11th, 2017, 2:06 pm

Re: Introduction of sorts

Here is that K bike rally in NC next September. A bunch of fun and a little crazy folks.
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=61884

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in