New K1300GT owner with a couple of questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 1:58 am Thread Starter

New K1300GT owner with a couple of questions

Greetings K bike experts!

I rode home today on a 2009 K1300GT with 14k miles on the clock. The bike appears to be immaculate. The selling dealer says that all the recalls are up to date.

Does this include the cam chain jump guard thingy? Is that something that the 1300 engine needs?

I think there's a put of hesitation when I open the throttle that maybe can be improved with a bit of enriching. I like the way the AF-XIED lambda-shifter helped my R1100GS. Do you guys think this is likely a good idea, or is there something else I should be looking at.

I'd really like quieter airflow round my helmet at speed. Is it true that the (expensive) aeroflow is the right choice? If it is, I'd rather not waste money on trying a bunch of others!

Also, I'm still getting used to the various noises the bike makes. I do feel vibration in around 4000rpm. Is this likely normal?

Cheers,
Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 2:40 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: New K1300GT owner with a couple of questions

Welcome, Doug.

I have an '07 K12GT with 138K miles on it, and an '09 K13GT with 60K miles.

Yes, the recalls/service bulletins should include the cam chain jump guard, a sponge in the front brake master cylinder, and a few other items. Any BMW dealer can look up the VIN and see that these are marked as completed.

The fueling on the K13 is much better than the K12, but there are still some areas that could be improved, mostly when dropping down to idle after a long run at speed. Fortunately, my K13GT has been hand-tuned by BMW, so I've never had fueling issues like a few other owners have reported.

I've had good luck with AeroFlow screens and CalSci screens. The CalSci works well solo, but is a bit soft so it scratches easily. The AeroFlow works well solo or two-up, and the AeroGards will move the direct air blast away form your arms. They aren't cheap, but they work really well.

You will feel a slight buzz or vibration at speed from the counterbalanced Slant/4 motor. The handlebar stubs are rubber mounted to help minimize this, but I find that adding Grab On foam grip covers helps as well, especially if you have larger hands.

The K13GT is a fine bike, and if BMW had come out with that one first instead of the K12GT, I'm sure they'd still be selling them.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 9:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMcK View Post
Greetings K bike experts!

I rode home today on a 2009 K1300GT with 14k miles on the clock. The bike appears to be immaculate. The selling dealer says that all the recalls are up to date.

Does this include the cam chain jump guard thingy? Is that something that the 1300 engine needs?

I think there's a put of hesitation when I open the throttle that maybe can be improved with a bit of enriching. I like the way the AF-XIED lambda-shifter helped my R1100GS. Do you guys think this is likely a good idea, or is there something else I should be looking at.

I'd really like quieter airflow round my helmet at speed. Is it true that the (expensive) aeroflow is the right choice? If it is, I'd rather not waste money on trying a bunch of others!

Also, I'm still getting used to the various noises the bike makes. I do feel vibration in around 4000rpm. Is this likely normal?

Cheers,
Doug
Here are my responses to your questions:

* Cam Chain:
Yes, if all the recalls are up-to-date, then the cam chain jump guard should have been installed. If not, then your dealer was incorrect about all recalls being done.

* AF-XIED lambda-shifter:
Sorry, but I can't help you there. I don't know anything about it.

* Aeroflow AeroScreen:
I recommend it highly. It may be expensive, but it is definitely worth the money, and probably the best third-party windscreen available.

There is completely still air and dead silence behind the AeroScreen. When I answer the bluetooth phone in my helmet, the caller does not know that I riding at 80 mph - they think I am in the office. It is that quiet. I am 5 foot 10 inches tall and I have the tall Aeroscreen. I tried the standard size and the tall size, and prefer the tall size. When fully raised, I can just barely see over the top, which is exactly what I want. When fully lowered, there is some air flow, but not as much as the original BMW windscreen.

I also have the AeroGards, and recommend them too. They do a good job of deflecting most of the air flow away from my hands, arms, and shoulders. I remove them in summer to give myself more air flow. They are easy to install and remove.

* 4000 RPM Vibration
Yes, it is normal. My K1200GT has been "buzzy" between ~4500 and ~5500 RPM it since I bought it new in 2007. I feel it mostly around 5000 RPM and just live with it. I notice it when changing gears, but it is rare that I would find myself cruising along in that RPM range, so it doesn't bother me.

I hope this helps.

post #4 of 6 Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 8:45 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!

Where's the best place to find technical FAQs and "HOWTO" documents? I've browsed around a fair bit, and I'm wondering if there's the "motherlode" of stuff somewhere still to be found.

I like the sound of the Aeroflow. I like to look over the screen, and still be in quiet air. I think the only question is the size. I'm 5'8" so I'm thinking standard.

Cheers
Doug
post #5 of 6 Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 11:58 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

There's some good historical info on the K12/1300GT (Next Gen) forum over at K-Bikes.com, although that site is pretty quiet overall.

You can call or email Paige at AeroFlow and he'll ask you some questions and then recommend an appropriate screen height for you.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 6 Old Sep 4th, 2017, 1:55 pm

The BMWMOA forum has a section for Wedge bikes.

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in