BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

J+M CB RADIO Lower SWR's

866 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  HowardRichman 
#1 ·
Well; I've used the J+M CB radio on several different bikes, and am having the same problem w the GT,as I had w/ my Honda ST1300. The SWR's are way too high (into the 3's), but never had this problem w/ the unit on the Harley. I'm using a 3' adjustable Firefly antenna. I've provided a good ground on the radio through the clutch master and on the antenna base. There's no continuity between the antenna lead and ground, and good continuity between the antenna base and the transmitter tip; and all connections are good. Maybey the Harley's metal framwork provided a better ground than the sport tourers partial plastic body. Any suggestions to reduce the SWR's?
Howie...

#3 ·
Well; The only thing I didn't try is to replace the 8' coax lead w/ a 18' rg-59 coax lead, cause the "expert" tech @ Sierra said the power should made @ the antenna; not the long coax length, and the shorter length is what they sell w/ there kits. They stray away from NGP "no ground plane" antenna/cable combo's cause the grounded type still have lower SWR's when tuned in. I've tried all testing w/ a 36" adjustable firestik w/ no results, but will work fine on my wifes Harley, cause of the better gound plane(my thoughts). The sierra tech said the firestik antenna's wire wound is too short, and to install a 7/8 wound type, but cant find, and only can find a 5/8 type as I now have. I still have no shorts, broken or open leads, and good grounding from conn. ends to backets to antenna base . Not sure what to do at this point.
Howie...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.