New to BMW - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tango Alpha

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jun 18th, 2017, 5:05 pm Thread Starter

New to BMW

Hey all...after spending mostly successful and fun 30+ years riding Harley's I let my last one go. Cannot explain where I am, but I sold it with the intent to give riding a break for awhile....until I saw that 5,600 mile 2008 K1200GT for sale. Now I can't explain how many times I've eyed this bike up. I thought about buying one years ago, and having it around for some different fun. Having driven the fixed fairing Roadglide for most of my Harley riding years, I loved those bikes. But, Harley has become boring, not to mention I am so tired of burning my right leg among other body parts when riding in the Nevada desert. So here I am. About to pick up my new ride. Like I said, 5600 miles, up to date services and recalls. It is near mint. The guy wanted $7600 and best I can tell from my reviews of bikes out there, its a great price. Feel free to advise if you feel different. I am curious if any of you have made this simialer switch and how you feel about BMW. I've always admired from a distance, the creature comforts and engineering. I'm stoked to finally get my hands on one, but I'd appreciate your take on the purchase and any "new and need to know" stuff I might find helpful. Bike is loaded with ESA, heated seats, grips, etc. Fire away and thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0812.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	127554   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170614_113044[270].jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	127562  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jun 19th, 2017, 11:19 am

Re: New to BMW

I bought my first BMW back in 06. I had an 05 Midnight Venture I had put 38K miles on in 18 months. I don't remember what got me interested in BMW but I bought an 03 K1200LT on Ebay with 15K miles on it. It had a week left on the warranty but I was determined to learn to work on it and I did. The final drive went out 3 months later and I repaired it myself with help from this site. I was impressed with the handling of this bike. It was nothing like riding a cruiser. I was hooked. I rode it 60K miles in 4 years before I hit a deer and totaled it. I went back to a cruiser for a year and got bored all over again. I bought another LT and loved it. I now own an RT and would never go back to a cruiser. I felt like I'd be trading down. I've never ridden a GT but it must be a lot like the RT. I always described my LT as a cross between a crotch rocket and a Goldwing. The RT is even better and more fun to ride. At 69 it may be my last bike. I'll ride it until it breaks and fix it and ride it some more. Have fun on yours and be safe out there. I'm headed to Jasper, Arkansas tomorrow for a week of riding the Ozarks with a group of friends from around the country. It's always fun.

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #3 of 6 Old Jun 19th, 2017, 2:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler50 View Post
I've never ridden a GT but it must be a lot like the RT.
The ride is much different than a RT (not as comfortable) but the GT has 60 more horsepower. With an '08 12GT you need to make sure all of the updates and recalls have been performed. There is the cam chain jump guard, updated cam chain tensioner, rear wheel flange and I do believe the air box was updated for '08. Also check to see if there was an update for the fuel guage. Other than that, enjoy the ride!

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone

Last edited by TF1200RT; Jun 19th, 2017 at 2:41 pm.

post #4 of 6 Old Jun 20th, 2017, 11:43 pm

If I didn't have 2 bikes already. I'd seriously consider a 1200GT. Awesome looking bike. Always loved the looks. Your in for a hell of a lifestyle change. Nothing at all like your Harleys.I think it will put a very big grin on your face.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Jun 20th, 2017 at 11:51 pm.
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 5th, 2017, 8:58 am

Garage
New to BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrauenzahn View Post
Hey all...after spending mostly successful and fun 30+ years riding Harley's I let my last one go. Cannot explain where I am, but I sold it with the intent to give riding a break for awhile....until I saw that 5,600 mile 2008 K1200GT for sale. Now I can't explain how many times I've eyed this bike up. I thought about buying one years ago, and having it around for some different fun. Having driven the fixed fairing Roadglide for most of my Harley riding years, I loved those bikes. But, Harley has become boring, not to mention I am so tired of burning my right leg among other body parts when riding in the Nevada desert. So here I am. About to pick up my new ride. Like I said, 5600 miles, up to date services and recalls. It is near mint. The guy wanted $7600 and best I can tell from my reviews of bikes out there, its a great price. Feel free to advise if you feel different. I am curious if any of you have made this simialer switch and how you feel about BMW. I've always admired from a distance, the creature comforts and engineering. I'm stoked to finally get my hands on one, but I'd appreciate your take on the purchase and any "new and need to know" stuff I might find helpful. Bike is loaded with ESA, heated seats, grips, etc. Fire away and thanks in advance!

Like you, I've been riding 30+ years on the street and have been riding Harley's as well for about the last 15 of those years. I owned 2 Ultra Classic's during that time and a few other bikes as well. I'm a touring guy at heart and found that for all around comfort, nothing beat my Ultra.

In similar fashion, I too decided to take a break from riding and sold all my bikes a couple years ago. I've done that a time or two before in my life and it never seems to last long. I eventually end up buying another bike and then they begin multiplying in my garage rapidly.

I also moved from SoCal to a new home on the CA Central Coast. We're in the midst of wine country where some of the best riding roads exist. Hills, canyons and ocean...all right in my backyard. Well....as fate would have it I started my new job in my new hometown and wouldn't you just know it....my office was directly across the street from a motorcycle dealer! All day long, while at work, I could see and hear bikes going up and down the street in to the dealership.

I think you already know where this is heading, so long story short that is how I ended up with my 2002 R1150RT.

I enjoy the bike and unless she fails me in some major way and becomes a total money pit, I have zero plans of ever selling it. It's a different riding experience and I like it very much. I still miss my Ultra though for those long rides and I would imagine that in time you'll begin to miss your Road Glide as well. You'll also quickly learn if you haven't already, BMW bikes have their own issues to deal with. I'm sure you've read all about it. Still, all in all, I have no regrets and glad I bought my RT.

I think the lesson learned here is, never sell your bikes, just keep adding to the collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kbob12 likes this.

2002 R1150RT
post #6 of 6 Old Oct 9th, 2017, 11:28 am

Gee I can't add much more....I have the 2006 version. It was the beta tester for you guys. It had so many problems but those are fixed and now it only has 72,000 miles on it. With 6,000 of that this summer.
I ride single for distance and two up traveling (with top box). Its a great bike. Too bad BMW doesn't offer a like model now. I'm not going over to a boxer!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in