K1200GT - 2008 - No stable in the road - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By meese

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 2nd, 2017, 9:24 am Thread Starter

K1200GT - 2008 - No stable in the road

Hi,
My cycle is not stable in the road at the speed of 74 milles. The new tires are Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT.
Do you have a solution to this problem?
Thanks
Paulo

K1200RS - 1997
K1200LT - 1999
K1200GT - 2008

Ride With Pride
Blue Knights France - Chapter V

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 2nd, 2017, 9:48 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: K1200GT - 2008 - No stable in the road

Besides tires, check shocks, the front DuoLever ball joints, front wheel bearings, the rear Telelever swingarm, and the final drive. That's in the most likely order of failure.

For the shocks: Is the bike harder to put up on the center stand? Then you need new shocks, with Wilbers being the best option.

For the ball joints: Lift the front tire (use the center stand and have someone else push down on the rear rack) and try to move the wheel/forks forward/back and side-to-side. There should be zero play or looseness. You can replace the ball joints, but it's a fairly involved job.

For the wheel bearings: Lift the front tire and see if the wheel rolls smoothly without dragging. Note, there could be some normal brake pad drag, so it's best to remove the front wheel and roll the bearings using your fingers, checking for smoothness and zero play. This check should be done at every tire change. You can replace the wheel bearings, but you need special tools to set them in straight.

For the rear swingarm: Use the center stand and check the rear wheel for any movement up/down or side-to-side. There should be zero play. You can replace the swingarm bushings, but you need some special tools.

For the final drive: Use the centerstand and roll the rear wheel to make sure everything is smooth, stable, and quiet. There should be no play, roughness, or dragging (again, watch for normal brake pad dragging). You can rebuild or replace the final drive, but that's best left to a shop and it can be costly.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.
beech likes this.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 7 Old May 3rd, 2017, 10:43 am Thread Starter

Hi Meese,
Thank you, I will do all the tests you advise me. I will inform you of the result of my investigations.
Currently my bike totals 115,000 kilometers.
The bike was stable before the tires were changed.
I did a test with +300 grams more pressure in the tires (2.9 bars and 3.3 bars).
The problem is -80% unstable.

K1200RS - 1997
K1200LT - 1999
K1200GT - 2008

Ride With Pride
Blue Knights France - Chapter V

post #4 of 7 Old Jun 18th, 2017, 11:19 pm

Garage
Wanted to put my 2 cents in. I ride both lt and gt and currently own a 03 bmw k1200gt that has the new z4 on it and it rides like a dream. However i just replaced both tires on my lt with metzlers (same manufacturer as before) and my first ride on the freeway almost scared the crap out of me, the best i can describe it is this... it felt like it had power steering and wanted to at any moment just dart off the road. However after checking it on the lift over and over again i found nothing to suggest mechanical failure. It took over 800 miles of driving before it went away.
I have had customers in the past bring bikes into the shop with same problem and i found that the tire installers mounted one of the tires reverse rotation. But that was not the case with mine.
post #5 of 7 Old May 10th, 2018, 6:53 pm

Since it was stable before the tire change, and you have probably checked this, did they balance the tires? Once I had a shop install a new tire, got it home and discovered they never removed the old weights and added new ones in a different spot!!!!! It rode fine but it just bothered me. Since then I do my own tires.
post #6 of 7 Old May 12th, 2018, 9:57 am

Similar situation happened to me a few years back on a Pan European... Brand new tyres and off I went. All was well as I was on local roads until I hit the motorway and it wobbled like hell.

Took the bike back removed the tyre and re-seated it and all was fine. It may be as simple as that.... Hope you get it sorted soon !!
post #7 of 7 Old May 13th, 2018, 1:58 pm

Wow, the tire wasn't properly seated? That could have been disastrous.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in