Buying my first BMW - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 4:58 pm Thread Starter

Question Buying my first BMW

I think I am going to take the plunge and purchase a 2004 K1200GT. I am looking at one that has 27,000 miles and looks pretty good. All maintenance records in hand. What do you think of this for a 240#, 6'3" experienced rider?

My last big bike was a Goldwing and my current Triump America kills my back after 40 minutes. Any opinions will be properly weighed.

Is this a stock color?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	041200GT.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	8275  

Last edited by Chief-Rick; Nov 20th, 2006 at 5:04 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 6:17 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

For the 2004 GT, you may need bar risers based on your height. It is a nice and very capable bike. Solid on the straights due to its weight. Needs additional input in turns.

The Piedmont Red I believe was a limited color.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 13 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 6:20 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. It has risers on it and felt really comfortable. Man, I really have to get my Triumph sold quick.

post #4 of 13 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 6:26 pm

The pre-'06 GTs are a beautiful machine. But they do come with their own set of issues. 130Hp at the crank. Pretty fast, but not real fast. And they are somewhat a heavy steering bike...not exactly flickable. The "new-and-improved" GT is much faster and lighter steering, but that comes with a pricetag.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the '04s came in that color. But BMW is infamous for sending out bikes that are painted with leftover paint from other years.
post #5 of 13 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 6:43 pm

ChiefRick, I don't have any answers to your questions, but that is one nice-looking bike. I've been admiring pre-06 (the previous body style) GTs.

In that color you are bound to attract attention. In the packet of paperwork from the previous owner should be a coupon book of "performance awards" (AKA "speeding tickets") from BMW. Simply tear one out and hand it to the nice officer when you are pulled over.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 8:13 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments

I can see that this can be a very good forum.

Looking forward to riding to meet many of you in the future.
post #7 of 13 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 8:33 pm

Any forum that messenger13 is on is a good one!

I'll be in WA next May. Going from Cleveland, OH to TX, to San Diego, to Seattle, and then I'll meander my way back home. I'll be on my '06 GT. Maybe we can meet for dinner. Keep an eye on the forum for details.

Oh...and a, welcome to the forum. It is a good one for sure. Despite the fact that they never kicked me off of it! For more information on that '04 GT, be sure to check out k-bikes.com. It's a sister forum to this one.
post #8 of 13 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 1:33 pm
fas

Cool Used GT Decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Any forum that messenger13 is on is a good one!

I'll be in WA next May. Going from Cleveland, OH to TX, to San Diego, to Seattle, and then I'll meander my way back home. I'll be on my '06 GT. Maybe we can meet for dinner. Keep an eye on the forum for details.

Oh...and a, welcome to the forum. It is a good one for sure. Despite the fact that they never kicked me off of it! For more information on that '04 GT, be sure to check out k-bikes.com. It's a sister forum to this one.
Joe is the #1 poster on this site. Riding a GT? Joe and I agree. Personally, I'd suggest getting a new one if you can. Why buy a cast off old design? It may be perfect for you so do it if you have good records about maintenance. The new one is amazing. Better handling than the old one you are looking at now. Ride both if you can before you decide.

Good luck with whatever ride you select.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #9 of 13 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief-Rick
I think I am going to take the plunge and purchase a 2004 K1200GT. I am looking at one that has 27,000 miles and looks pretty good. All maintenance records in hand. What do you think of this for a 240#, 6'3" experienced rider?

My last big bike was a Goldwing and my current Triump America kills my back after 40 minutes. Any opinions will be properly weighed.

Is this a stock color?

Thanks
If you plan on riding it a lot of miles, make sure that the suspension has been upgraded or replaced, or budget for it yourself. The OEM suspension seems to wear out in the 24,000-30,000 mile area.

I had an '04 GT that I really liked. The lure of better handling and more power sucked me into trading it for the new generation model. Good move on my part!

You didn't say which model of Goldwing that you had. If you're comparing it to a GL1800, the GT you're looking at will be a bit faster, quicker, just as solid at speed, probably just as nimble at low speeds. The '04 had the best stock seat "for me" that I've ever had on a motorcycle, unlike the newer model whose seat sucks. I found the footpegs on my '04 a bit close to the ground, and I often found my boots touching during aggressive corning. I've not yet touched on my new GT.

The '04 had a bit of a flaky idle, along with some hard cold start issues. These were totally cured with a software upgrade, so make sure that has been done, as warranty will no longer cover it.

I don't know about the color, I thought that was an '03 color, but I'm not sure. My was blue.

Compared to your Triumph, it will be a rocket, but a comfortable one. The slight forward lean position takes a bit to get comfortable with, but I hate riding any other way now.

Good luck with whatever you chose.

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #10 of 13 Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 10:26 am

04gt

There were a few of the 04GTs sent to the US in the red color. I have seen a couple in my area. In fact, I had originally tried to obtain one. They look terrific. I now have the new GT but there was certainly something special about the old GTs. Not as flickable as some say but man are they stable, especially on the open road.
In my personal opinion, they were one of the best looking bikes ever produced.
Great bike - you should love it.
post #11 of 13 Old Dec 1st, 2006, 7:43 pm

My Experience

I'm 6'1" and 225. I had a 2004 K1200GT and really enjoyed most of the bike. The power was fun, you could lay it down in turns, and I was frequently complimented on its looks.

The steering is a bit heavy, but with your size you can definitely throw it back-and-forth. My 2 biggest complaints about the bike are wind buffeting (which a taller wind shield from Pirates Lair could fix) and tired wrists (which bar backs might address). Twisty turnies are a blast, but long straight-aways got really long after a while. I found myself riding with one hand frequently to relieve the strain on my wrists. I sold the bike a few months back and I really miss riding (moved to the big city).

Currently, I'm looking really hard at the new GT as it addresses all of my concerns with the previous model and then some. Personally, I would hold out until I could afford a new GT before I'd buy the 2004 again.
post #12 of 13 Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 7:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlestina
I found myself riding with one hand frequently to relieve the strain on my wrists.
I ride with the bars all the way down with absolutely no weight on the hands and wrists unless I choose to do so.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #13 of 13 Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 8:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I ride with the bars all the way down with absolutely no weight on the hands and wrists unless I choose to do so.
If I may expound on this...

A lot of riders make the mistake of using their arms like prop-rods...arms fully extended, elbows locked. No wonder they suffer pain in the wrists, forearms, and so-on. What a sportbike or sport-tourer rider needs to learn how to do is bend the elbows and bend a little more at the waist and flow with the bike. Not unlike a downhill skier bends the knees and flows with the slope.

Of course, we are all proportioned differently, so one must experiment with what works best for himself. Even I couldn't believe what worked best for me on the GT was adjusting the bars all the way DOWN. I accidentally left the bars all the way down and rode home from Atlanta, GA (800 miles), and the comfort was awesome. Once again, proving to myself that an upright seating position is not what brings me the most "comfort".

HTH

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in