K1300 Repair Manual - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By XMagnaRider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Apr 7th, 2017, 7:44 am Thread Starter

Garage
K1300 Repair Manual

I recently developed the Hard Start When Hot condition. I reading several forums I find that I purchased the BMW model that has the most expensive repair costs. I am a mechanic and as long as I have the some instruction, I 'm not afraid to some repairs myself. I have a updated harness on order from Hermy's Triumph BMW. (Those guys are great by the way). I was looking for input on obtaining a repair manual. I have looked on Amazon and was leary on purchasing some of the less expensive listings. Appreciate any feed back.

Divide Responsibility and Nobody is Responsible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Apr 8th, 2017, 10:34 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: K1300 Repair Manual

I have the BMW factory manual on DVD (approx $110). I am not aware of any others. The hard start when hot is well known and was caused by too small a wire feeding the starter so you should be OK when you install the mod.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Apr 9th, 2017, 7:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchin4Him View Post
I recently developed the Hard Start When Hot condition. I reading several forums I find that I purchased the BMW model that has the most expensive repair costs. I am a mechanic and as long as I have the some instruction, I 'm not afraid to some repairs myself. I have a updated harness on order from Hermy's Triumph BMW. (Those guys are great by the way). I was looking for input on obtaining a repair manual. I have looked on Amazon and was leary on purchasing some of the less expensive listings. Appreciate any feed back.
The only official repair manual is the BMW RepROM, which comes on a DVD. The only legal source is your BMW dealer. They cost around $100 and are worth the money. You will need a Windows computer to run the RepROM software. I run it in a Windows virtual machine (using VMware Fusion) on my Mac laptop.

The other sources are illegal, bootleg copies of various versions of the RepROM, some of them so old that they are on CD. Changes are relatively minor between versions, but there was one critical change when BMW reduced the amount of oil to put into the final drive.

Please don't support those scum who sell the illegal copies.

Unfortunately there are no third-party repair manuals (like Clymer or Chilton) for the "slant 4" 2006-2008 K1200GT or the K1300GT. (... or the K1600GT). If you see one, the seller doesn't realize that it is actually for the earlier "flying brick" model 2004 and earlier K1200GT/K1200RS, which is a very different motorcycle.

There is a lot of help on the internet. Besides this bmwlt.com website, see also k-bikes.com and i-bmw.com. Both websites have a variety of helpful procedures with photos, and active discussion groups where you can ask for help. The activity on both sites is dwindling as our K1200GTs and K1300GTs get older.

Join the BMWMOA (BMW Motorcycle Owners Association). Their website is full of excellent repair procedures with photos. You also get other great benefits, including the "Anonymous" book of BMW owners around the country who are willing to help you out in a pinch. I have never used it, but always feel so much better having it when I ride long distances.
beech likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old Apr 19th, 2017, 11:22 am Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks for the reply. I am a recent member of MOA and will check out their website. I will have to put the OE Manual on my wishlist. I was fortunate that my dealer emailed me the campaign document to help with the wiring upgrade. The repair was a success, a little mix up with the feed wire to the starter, I thought the Red Cable was the feed, turns out it was the Chassis Ground. Also found a little Humming Bird stuck in by the by the RH Throttle Body. After this repair, the bike isn't as intimidating to work on. Thanks again. Look me up in the "Anonymous Book" under Littlestown PA if you ever get on this end of the continent.

Divide Responsibility and Nobody is Responsible.
post #5 of 6 Old Apr 24th, 2017, 5:49 pm

I had the repair done due to a recall at my local dealership for free. I have a 2009.

1986 Yamaha FJ600
2002 Honda VTX 1800C
2006 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT
post #6 of 6 Old Apr 30th, 2017, 1:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryRT View Post
I had the repair done due to a recall at my local dealership for free. I have a 2009.
Was your 2009 K1300GT still under warranty and the repair was treated as a service bulletin or warranty repair, or was it a done as a recall (done out of warranty), or was it done as a "courtesy" even though the dealer would normally charge for it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in