K1200GT Powerband??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 11:02 am Thread Starter

K1200GT Powerband???

When I crank on the throttle at say 4k she rips forward and pulls hard until around 7 to 7.5rpm where it flattens out a little and then pulls really hard again.
Is this normal?
Or, fuel pump issues, clutch???
Has anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

In the last 2 years...
'08 R1200GS---Loved it!!!
'01 H-D Ultra Classic---Hated it!!! (aka. the infernal noise making machine)
'02 K1200LT(black)---Even my GF is jealous of this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 11:10 am

Re: K1200GT Powerband???

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI_OTE View Post
When I crank on the throttle at say 4k she rips forward and pulls hard until around 7 to 7.5rpm where it flattens out a little and then pulls really hard again.
Is this normal?

It would not be the clutch as that would show in the RPM's increasing without the bike speeding up.

Don't ride my LT hard enough in that range to have noticed a flat spot yet.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Jun 24th, 2016, 1:59 am

Quote:
Is this normal?

I just bought an '08 K1200GT with 27k on the clock, had it fully serviced, etc. It has a bunch of power, all the way thru. when i first got the bike is stalled very so often, had a weird stumble in it, which was intermittent... that is... i had no idea when it would stumble, but then it would "catch up", and zoom right along. The prior owner had all the documents stating everything had been updated, etc... i had no real solid idea what to think, nor the time, so i took it to a bmw shop that i've had work on my GSA. anyways... the GT is fast. I've put less than 300 miles on it so far.

I've been buying and selling a bunch of bikes in the last couple of years, mostly just seeing what they are all about. I have kept a 2000 Aprillia Mille R that I seem to like a bunch, and a '05 GSA. The GT seems pretty damn quick. no doubt its super smooth and freeway fast like crazy. Which is what i bought it for... obviously a sport tourer.

I'm thinking 3rd gear gets you into triple digits. I don't think I'd ever snap it wide open in first, 2nd is pretty damn brisk... feels like the front wheel will come up... 3rd i have no problem opening it up... its just that now its way over the speed limit.

the power band on my bike has power all the way thru. nice "rush" that comes on.

post #4 of 6 Old Jun 25th, 2016, 7:55 am

Quote:
Is this normal?
I have a 2007 K1200GT. I am a gentle rider with a slow, smooth throttle hand, so I am not the right person to ask. I rarely get up in the high RPMs.

That said, I have never noticed any flattening out in power in the upper ranges. I have seen a power/torque dip around 3500 RPM, but that is well known for K1200GTs.

Unlikely but possible:
Do you have the automatic stability control (ASC) option on your K1200GT? It was available for 2007 and 2008 models, and not that common. Could you be pulling so hard that the front wheel starts to get light (or the rear wheel wants to break free?) so the ASC kicks in? ASC looks for a difference in spin rates between the front and back tires. When the ASC activates, there is a red indicator on the dash. Usually it flashes briefly at most.

Do you notice the flattening at all accelerations, or only while riding aggressively? Is it the same when you slowly roll on the throttle, or only when you crack it wide open?
post #5 of 6 Old Jun 26th, 2016, 6:26 pm Thread Starter

No ASC. Let's just call it very hard roll-on, but not a full snap. I need to ride it and get a specific rpm area. Haven't had the bike long and still kind of getting adjusted to it.

In the last 2 years...
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 20th, 2016, 3:51 pm Thread Starter

Update: I had the fuel pump replaced per the recall which hadn't been done. Pulls strong now all the way.
I thought the recall was for connectors or something, but maybe the original pump was the issue?
Runs nice now.

In the last 2 years...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in