K1200 Front Brake Issue, Help Please - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Nov 27th, 2015, 12:14 pm Thread Starter

K1200 Front Brake Issue, Help Please

Hi there..

My Dad has a BMW K1200 that has baffled us and a few of our mechanics friends with its brakes.

It is the non-servo version ABS version (I'm told)

Essentially, he has been having issues with the front brake loosing pressure. On Monday morning he will come to the bike, and the front brake has no pressure at all.. He pumps it and it gains pressure to work. Throughout the week it improves as he is using it and overnight he ties the front brake in which means in the morning it maintains it pressure. He leaves the bike over the weekend with the front brake lever released and on monday morning again, it has no pressure.

Ive suggested that the master cylinder seal may have gone as he can't see any sign of fluid leaking but I come to you guys for your experienced opinions please.

It did baffle me to begin with....

Does anyone know what could be happening? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Dougie

Last edited by dougie212; Nov 27th, 2015 at 12:26 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Nov 27th, 2015, 4:05 pm
cws

Garage
Re: K1200 Front Brake Issue, Help Please

What year & model K1200 is it Dougie?
If an older bike, say pre-2005, have the OEM brake lines been replaced yet?
Just thinking there might be an issue with aged brake lines swelling so not letting enough fluid to the calipers, until the pressure builds up and holds.
If they are that old and showing signs of a problem I'd be replacing them with Spieglers for starters.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 5 Old Nov 27th, 2015, 5:16 pm Thread Starter

Thank you for your response..!! I will ask him year and model tomorrow.

I don't think the original brake hoses have been replaced yet. I shall ask him tomorrow. Its a really bizarre process he has to go through to get the brakes working throughout the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
What year & model K1200 is it Dougie?
If an older bike, say pre-2005, have the OEM brake lines been replaced yet?
Just thinking there might be an issue with aged brake lines swelling so not letting enough fluid to the calipers, until the pressure builds up and holds.
If they are that old and showing signs of a problem I'd be replacing them with Spieglers for starters.

post #4 of 5 Old Nov 28th, 2015, 9:14 am Thread Starter

Bit more info...

Its a 1999 K1200 RS.

The hoses were replaced a couple of years ago with braided ones.

My Dad has been told hat when he bleeds the callipers there is a valve to bleed the ABS system aswell. Anyone know anything about this?
post #5 of 5 Old Nov 30th, 2015, 12:07 am
cws

Garage

OK, put this info into a single post and head on over to i-BMW.com:
"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A - I-BMW.com
and put the question in the "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A forum.

This is probably the best forum for K1200RS/GT (1999 - 2004 models)
Lots of excellent support, and Sailor (John/Jean from Montreal... he's also on this forum but may not see these posts) is particularly helpful and knowledgeable when it comes to the brake systems on these bikes... he has a 2002 RS so very similar bike.

Pretty sure the issue will get worked through over there.

Another site is k-bikes.com (sister to this site, also some good support there)
cheers!

ps... and yes, there is a documented procedure to bleed the ABS system and "should" be done yearly. It can vary depending on the model of the bike and the ABS system version (there's 3 different types AFAIK)... the documents can also be found in the Technical Files here as its the same system on the early K1200's. (note: I've attached a Word doc below for a 2002 RS/GT)

Video on youtube of a 2003 brake bleed... would be similar if not same.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Brake_Bleed_2002_K1200RS.doc (332.0 KB, 460 views)

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Last edited by cws; Nov 30th, 2015 at 12:29 am. Reason: added a document on brake bleeding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in