Maybe I missed it ... RT vs. GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 5:23 pm Thread Starter

Maybe I missed it ... RT vs. GT

Please excuse me if I missed a thread, but I am looking for some feedback on the RT vs. the GT. I have an '05 RT and while I read about RT owners trading for GT's, I haven't seen anything discussing in detail just why they are doing that. I am pretty happy with my RT, but it does lack a little "ummmph" when my wife rides with me or I am bouncing around in the 2,000 - 3,000 rpm neighborhood. There are a few other small things that bother me but I find the balance, weight, and comfort to be just fine. Can anyone tell me why I should (or shouldn't) trade for a GT?

Thanks.

Croleyg
'05 R1200RT
'06 R1200GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 5:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croleyg
Please excuse me if I missed a thread, but I am looking for some feedback on the RT vs. the GT. I have an '05 RT and while I read about RT owners trading for GT's, I haven't seen anything discussing in detail just why they are doing that. I am pretty happy with my RT, but it does lack a little "ummmph" when my wife rides with me or I am bouncing around in the 2,000 - 3,000 rpm neighborhood. There are a few other small things that bother me but I find the balance, weight, and comfort to be just fine. Can anyone tell me why I should (or shouldn't) trade for a GT?

Thanks.

Croleyg
'05 R1200RT
'06 R1200GS
Hey Crowley,

You'll probably get a few responses back - but like the old saying goes about opinions.....

I'll give you mine though I'm no RT expert. I previously owned an LT and loved the bike, but being somewhat vertically challenged felt the LT was sometimes a handful at low speeds - especially in gravel.

I went to the dealer and rode an RT - and I also rode a GT. For me, the GT was the bike to have. Although I'm sure others will disagree (and it probably would have changed in time), I didn't see myself getting used to the feel of the boxer motor. I just liked the feel of the new K motor much more.

The only way to decide this is for YOU to go to your dealer and ride one yourself.

Be prepared though, you might find yourself wanting a new bike.

That said, what you mentioned as your primary reason for considering a GT could be fixed on your bike with a little more twist 'o the wrist!!

Good luck,
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:21 pm
fas

Cool rt/gt? decision to step up the power curve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croleyg
...but it does lack a little "ummmph" when my wife rides with me or I am bouncing around in the 2,000 - 3,000 rpm neighborhood.... Can anyone tell me why I should (or shouldn't) trade for a GT?
My brother in law was here in Bay Village, Ohio, for a visit and rode my GT. He rode his RT from Lancaster, PA, here with his SO. After his GT ride, he said, "Wow. I could adapt to that power." His ride home to Lancaster seemed so much longer, especially up those hills. The GT has a dry sump and a very low cg when compared to other machines. The suspension setting ease is amazing. The power is a real plus in city traffic. I commute daily. It is wonderful to be able to pass the cell phone cagers quickly. Best defense? Good offense.

Rob Nelson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.

post #4 of 6 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 12:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkuhno
Hey Crowley,

You'll probably get a few responses back - but like the old saying goes about opinions.....

I'll give you mine though I'm no RT expert. I previously owned an LT and loved the bike, but being somewhat vertically challenged felt the LT was sometimes a handful at low speeds - especially in gravel.

I went to the dealer and rode an RT - and I also rode a GT. For me, the GT was the bike to have. Although I'm sure others will disagree (and it probably would have changed in time), I didn't see myself getting used to the feel of the boxer motor. I just liked the feel of the new K motor much more.

The only way to decide this is for YOU to go to your dealer and ride one yourself.

Be prepared though, you might find yourself wanting a new bike.

That said, what you mentioned as your primary reason for considering a GT could be fixed on your bike with a little more twist 'o the wrist!!

Good luck,
+1, virtually for EXACTLY the same reasons.

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 H-D Dyna-Glide Conv.
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc
post #5 of 6 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 3:45 am

I gave the new RT a 31-mile test ride and simply didn't care for the bike at all. (Putting it mildly.) This new GT is everything I wanted out of my new bike, and more. Perhaps you're a Boxer kinda guy. I don't know. But I can't imagine anyway truly liking the RT over a GT. Then again, I like the focus on sport with the added benefit of touring. And I believe that the RT focuses more on touring, with some sport added. FWIW, there's only about a 30 pound weight difference between the RT and GT, the GT being heavier. But the 50 extra ponies handles that difference quite nicely.

Oddly though, I love the Boxer motor in the new GSes. I will own one of those ASAP. (read: 2-3 years)

There is also currently a good RT vs. GT thread over on the sister forum K-Bikes.com. Check it out...

Last edited by messenger13; Sep 14th, 2006 at 3:52 am.
post #6 of 6 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 10:54 am Thread Starter

Thanks, guys, for all the quick responses. And thanks to Joe for pointing me to the K-bikes forum where there were several more comments. Sounds like there are 3 things that keep popping up in everyone's evaluations: (1) The feel of the boxer engine, (2) the power of the GT, and (3) the riding position. I am OK with the boxer but the vibes do get to me every once in a while and I do have a little issue with the low-speed throughput on the RT. As to the riding position, guess I will have to go for a looooooooooong test ride!

Thanks for the input. Next stop is at the dealer's!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in