Final Drive no longer maintenance free for 2007+ models with new style rear drive - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 9:54 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

Final Drive no longer maintenance free for 2007+ models with new style rear drive

It appears that BMW has added a drain plug and are requiring a fluid flush of the rear drive unit at the 600 mile service only.

Quote:
Ongoing monitoring and long-term tests have confirmed thatwearin the final drive can be furtherminimized overthe service life ofthe motorcycle ifthe oil is changed once during the 600 mile service. Consequently, this oil change has been incorporated into the maintenance schedule as of model year 2007.

Long-term tests have found that not all traces of certain substances used in the process of manufacturing the gearset can be removed by subsequent cleaning. The non-metallic residues of these substances are released and bind with the oil while the final drive is being run in. An oil change as part of the 600 mile service flushes these particles out of the assembly before they have the opportunity of affecting bearing wear.

Subsequent oil changes, for example as part of the 12,000 mile inspection, show no practical benefit in this respect.

A new screw for the oil-drain bore has been introduced as of construction status MY2007. A magnet integrated in the screw ensures that metallic particles are separated out of the oil during the running-in period.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 9:58 pm

So is this for all final drives ?

Should I ask to have the fluid replaced in my GS too ?

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #3 of 5 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 11:09 pm

No new drain plug.

BMW has not added a drain plug to the bikes. They have changed the rear plug to have a magnetic end. You still have to remove the rear wheel, brakes, sensor, and drop the rear of the final drive to drain out the back. While your at it, add about a half hour labor to the service.

Mike

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 6:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
It appears that BMW has added a drain plug and are requiring a fluid flush of the rear drive unit at the 600 mile service only.

great.....
now they can find a way to charge me even MORE at my first service

Greg Savel
Clearwater, FL USA

'05 R1200GS
'02 K1200LT
live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #5 of 5 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 2:41 pm

Well that just blows. I buddy of my was doing the Alcan 5000 on his '06 R12GS and his new final drive went out in BUF Ontario on the way back - 17K on it.

15 R1200RT - Ebony Metallic
09 F800GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in