Pipenslippers post crash catch up. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 3:54 am Thread Starter

Talking Pipenslippers post crash catch up.

I don't always get the time to keep up to date on the forums, so this an update (thanks for asking Eljeffe).

Bought the GT, crashed the GT. Took two and a half of the best summer months to be repaired, but finally got it back. Went straight to southern Ireland for 1500 miles of running in. Ireland is great for bikes, and we were in one of the best bits (Kerry). Lots of small roads and tracks, with more grass & gravel than tarmac in places, but a great place to learn slow speed bike control. Also lots of fast and medium roads, so good fun all round. Also had great weather.

The bike was great, but was very on/off at low revs, especially tight slow downhill corners where you want to come on the throttle a little bit mid corner.

Came back from Ireland and had the 600 mile service carried out (at 1800 miles - oops) and also had the software update carried out (free of charge).

I spent the last week (and 1400 miles) doing a mix of city, motorway and small roads, so I can now give my 3000 mile review.

Software Update (V7?)
The changes to the fuelling etc make a big difference. I always ride with a pillion, and the bike used to be very snatchy in second gear, hard to ride very slowly etc. Everything is smooth now. Slow traffic is good, full lock circles, mid corner throttle changes - all positives. I think there is a change to the full power behavior, maybe just softened a little bit, but hardly noticable. I suspect the power ramps up slightly slower in the first half twist of the throttle, but it's all still there when you use the second half.

Overall Power
When I first got the bike I thought I would never use all the power. Now I could imagine more in places. I guess you can never have enough. Don't get me wrong though, this is not a criticism. It only applies to those times when you do a full power third gear flat out overtake (loaded up with pillion and full gear). Like with computers I want to be there NOW. Any delay is too long. Some of you will understand this, others wont.

Seat
The seat is getting better all the time. I have the low seat and can do 500 miles/day ok. I don't think I would like to do much more than that, but we usually try to stay on smaller roads anyway, so 300 - 400 miles is more normal for us. I find it very comfortable for the first 200 and ok for the next 200. After that I get a bit wriggly.

Screen
I have the standard screen (not tall). If I raise about an inch, the airflow is on my helmet, but is smooth and quite quiet. If I take it so I can just see over it comfortably, things go much smoother and quieter with the air just going over the top of my helmet. Fully raised and I am looking through the screen, quiet, no wind but a little bit more pressure on the arms from the backpressure. If my wife leans forward (tucks in) in this position she is in smooth air, if she leans back against the backrest it's ok for her, but still a little bit of turbulence. I use this position on the motorway and I think I will try to borrow a tall screen and see if it is better. Overall though, I find the screen pretty good.

Handle bars
I started out with the bars fully raised, but have now gone the other way and have them in the full down position. Does anyone do bar lowering kits? I want my K12RS ridind position back (with the option to full raise for the motorways) How about electrically adjustable bars?

Handling
I'm not quite there yet. The old RS had Ohlins which were properly set up for me & the missus. I could chuck that bike anywhere and know exactly what was going on. This GT is still teaching me how to ride it. I think I am struggling a bit with how easily it tips in. It responds very quickly to inputs and I need to learn how to ride it a bit better. It's great with just me on, but fully loaded I am tending to turn in too soon sometimes. But were getting there. The bond is growing.

Tyres.
Bridgestone 020. hate them. Changing to Pilots VERY soon.

Luggage
Excellent. I have the large topcase as well and I'm well impressed with everything. Oh, if you don't have the liners, get them.

Navigator III
Best yet. VERY fast to recalculate. I love this gps.

Brakes
Love them. Gentle when you need it, truck stopping power when you need it. Wish they weren't servo though. The whine drive me potty when I stop on a slope.

OK, that's enough for now. Suffice to say, this bike is the BEST EVER (for what we want to do). VERY happy, no regrets, would still buy the GT again. More later.

Brian

Last edited by pipenslippers; Sep 5th, 2006 at 3:59 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 6:48 am

Sounds like you bought the bike that I ride. Glad to hear all the positive reports.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in