Updated Air Box/SW Update and Final Drive Fluid Change - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 1st, 2015, 1:12 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Smile Updated Air Box/SW Update and Final Drive Fluid Change

I have known of the poor throttle response issue on my 2010 K1300GT. Was curious what is involved (both time and money) for updating or modifying the air box, and software upgrade.

I recently have had the rear wheel hub recall performed. I forgot to ask the dealer if the procedure required the replacement of the final drive gear oil. My bike has 26k miles on it and I want to change it, but don't want to duplicate if this was done during the recall.

Appreciate any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Sep 1st, 2015, 2:57 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Updated Air Box/SW Update and Final Drive Fluid Change

If you have a 2010 you have the latest air box and the last SW load for this bike. No oil change for the hub recall. I am going to pull my injectors and have them flowed and cleaned. The only time I have had good response was when I was dumping copious amounts of Techron into the fuel. But it was only diminished not eliminated.

May want to have your SW version checked.

My 2009 had K024-10-05-510 with a Factory load of K024-08-08-550 which was the load production SW build.

My friend has K024-11-08-510 which is the last release and he has the same issue.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jzeiler; Sep 1st, 2015 at 3:05 pm.
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 1st, 2015, 3:23 pm

Some cautions, the final drive drain plug is Torx, be sure the one you use fits snug not just fits. Get a new Oring. It seals with an O ring not being extra tight. 180 ml of 75W90. It is easier to do the job if you remove the brake caliper so it is out of the way, and you don't drain oil on it.
Have you cleaned and lubed your lower shock linkage in the past two years? There are several needle bearings there that need attention. Don't forget to loosen up you center stand and grease the bushings in there. Do one side at a time and you won't have such a fight with the springs.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 6:29 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks for the info. My throttle response is not that annoying. Seems to happen in cooler temps. I too have tried running Soltron with every fill up, but not much noticeable change. I work night shift and I really notice it on my ride home on a sweeping uphill curve. I have to go to a dealer at some point to have my service reminder reset. I will have to have them check my SW Version.

I guess I'll be doing the final drive service. Torx drives are not an issue as I'm a mechanic and have an assortment. I will look at the suspension points and lube accordingly.
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 8:18 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
The only time I have had good response was when I was dumping copious amounts of Techron into the fuel.

I LOVE techron. its about the only one of those type products I have used that actually works. Works very well to prevent/remove light rust in the tanks of older bikes or autos. Make sure you have GOOD filters before you use it the first time especially. I usually double the techron for bikes I have just bought or vehicles I have let sit a while.
Havent tried an GT yet but if you are not already running alcohol free fuel try some in the best grade you can get and see if that helps. Made an amazing difference in several of my vehicles both bike and auto and all of my small engine stuff. Good Luck, Steve
post #6 of 6 Old May 9th, 2018, 11:54 pm

Ah man, I thought the k1300's had the bugs worked out. At 90k on my 07 I'm going to replace the air box due to BBS, severe engine braking, hi idle and hunting. I guess it's not too bad considering the mileage. I really like my 1200 despite a few issues. I was thinking that when I do get a replacement it would be a low mile k1300 but now I'm wondering? Hope fully I won't have to decide for another 90K!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in