K1200GT passenger seat - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 11:06 pm Thread Starter

K1200GT passenger seat

Hi All,

Well, had my first ride on a K1200GT. I'm still waiting for mine to come in, but someone returned one at the dealer so I got some seat time in today.

My wife rode with me as well, and noticed something she didn't like about the bike (and we all know, when the wife likes to ride, this isn't a good thing).

Apparently, the passenger seat isn't shaped too well, or not to her liking. She noted that it pitches her hips forward, and down, making her sort of slide to the front, hips first. If this doesn't sound comfortable - from what I was told, it isn't!

My question is this - has anyone else found this issue with the passenger seat? If so, what have you done about it?? Is it possible to re-contour the passenger seat to provide more of a dished 'saddle' like what exists on the older RTs or is this dictated by the seat pan??

Will definitely be changing the seats on this beast - if we can find a solution and decide to buy the bike. Oh yeah, BTW - not too fond of the riders seat either.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 2:14 am
IBR# 366

Garage
A properly fitted custom seat will solve those problems. Though it is an additional expense, it is well worth it of you go with one of the true artisans out there.

My LT seat came from Bill Mayer Saddles. He starts with a foam base shaped like those old wide tractor seats and customizes the density and location to match your exact stature and riding style. My best ride so far was 1,400 miles and 3 countries in 21 hours without any problems.

Other top seat builders are Rick Mayer, Russell, Rich's, and from this forum, KonTour. A search here will give you lots of info and opinions. You can't really go wrong with any of them.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 4 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 8:04 pm

how tall is she?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkuhno
Hi All,

Well, had my first ride on a K1200GT. I'm still waiting for mine to come in, but someone returned one at the dealer so I got some seat time in today.

My wife rode with me as well, and noticed something she didn't like about the bike (and we all know, when the wife likes to ride, this isn't a good thing).

Apparently, the passenger seat isn't shaped too well, or not to her liking. She noted that it pitches her hips forward, and down, making her sort of slide to the front, hips first. If this doesn't sound comfortable - from what I was told, it isn't!

My question is this - has anyone else found this issue with the passenger seat? If so, what have you done about it?? Is it possible to re-contour the passenger seat to provide more of a dished 'saddle' like what exists on the older RTs or is this dictated by the seat pan??

Will definitely be changing the seats on this beast - if we can find a solution and decide to buy the bike. Oh yeah, BTW - not too fond of the riders seat either.

Thanks,

I am 5'8" and the wife is 5'6" and the stock seat fit just fine. My wife didn't slide forward unless heavy braking was involved.

My wife has long legs and possibly the height of the riders foot pegs and leg length would influence the pitch of her pelvis? Just a thought.

Cheers.

post #4 of 4 Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 1:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickr
I am 5'8" and the wife is 5'6" and the stock seat fit just fine. My wife didn't slide forward unless heavy braking was involved.

My wife has long legs and possibly the height of the riders foot pegs and leg length would influence the pitch of her pelvis? Just a thought.

Cheers.
Yeah, I'm guessing that braking was helping here too....and just the WHOA effect as we took the bike out. As my wife said, the bike is definitely like a great roller coaster ride!

Was thinking similar thoughts about the passenger pegs and pelvis position. After the ride we tried to figure it out as my wife sat on the bike, but w/o trying lowered pegs there didn't seem any way to know for sure. It definitely wasn't working with my eyeing up a lowered peg position, and then holding her foot from the side and asking 'how does that feel?' - plus I'm sure it looked pretty kinky when sitting in front of the dealer's shop

Maybe I just need to buy the thing and then play with it, but that could be dangerous!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in