New GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:08 pm Thread Starter

New GT

The deal was sealed last Thursday on a new K1200GT SE. Now comes the wait, delivery is expected sometime in November. I had to settle on Dark Graphite [ my second choice] or wait until Feb 07 for a Crystal Gray one.
The first shipment to OZ were given to the dealers as demo's so it was easy to get a demo ride or three. One dealer ever let me take the bike out by my self. His last words to me were be back within two hours. The second shipment is here now but very few bikes and all ordered except for a few standard ones. It appears no one wants them.
It's been very helpful following this site looking for problems. The only thing that keeps coming up is the screen and the seat
Coming off a R1150RS I found the screen OK but I'm 5Ft 9 and like a bit of wind in my face. The air was clean and wasn't buffetting my helmet. I've noted most of the complaints come from people a bit taller and have stepped off LT's.
The seat, stepping off the RS and a Harley Fat Boy I couldn't find much wrong with it. Once again most of the complaints seam to come from people who ride LT's. You lot get it to good. Time will tell.
The weather here has been great 11-27C perfect bike weather not bad for winter, It's going to be a long wait
Barry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 3:28 pm
fas

Cool Waiting for the new GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways
The deal was sealed last Thursday on a new K1200GT SE. Now comes the wait, delivery is expected sometime in November. ...
Barry,

SO and I are coming your way for a ride. We love our GT, now almost 2,500 miles. After four years on the LT, I am thrilled to have the nimbleness of the GT. SO loves it, "Less buffetting." You made a good decision. Raced to and from Niagara Falls Canada, 522 round trip, 44.7 MPG, maybe slightly above the posted speeds...

We'll look you up when we firm up the planning. We plan to hit Australia and New Zealand for a month of riding, with Edelweiss. Clip from their site:

NEW ZEALAND / AUSTRALIA

Riding in the Southern hemesphere
Australia and especially New Zealand are known as perfect motorcycling countries. It is also a great opportunity to extend your motorcycling season during the winter months in America and Europe.

New Zealand Tour
Australia * Tasmania Tour

Rob Nelson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #3 of 3 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 11:57 pm Thread Starter

Touring Oz.

G'day Rob.
You will find Australia and NZ a wee bit different to the US. It's about the same size area wise but there is only 20 million of us here plus a few million kangaroos and wombats. We drive/ride on the other side of the road [most of the time] and we don't have much in the way of super highways, but all our roads are OK on a bike with reasonable suspension. Traveling in Australia is hassle free and safe althow the distances between towns takes a bit to get used to. A ride throught three states to you is just a short drive up the road to us.
NZ and Tasmania are easy to tour around because there is a lot to see without traveling to far. Take your wormer gear as you can still get the odd cold day [light snow/ sleat/rain] in summer. Mainland Australia will be OK, you will find it nice and worm and in some places a bit hot.
When you come over take the time to visit the state of Queensland. We have the best beaches, rainforests, the Barrier reef and lots more.
Prices here are about the same in dollar terms as in the US but the OZ dollar is only worth about 75 cents US, so you get more bang for your buck.
I hope this of some help to you, Australia is a beautiful country with lots to see and do and well worth the trip down here. Let me know when you are coming.
Barry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in