Guess who rode a GT today! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 7:47 pm Thread Starter

Guess who rode a GT today!

I have been reading all the glowing reports on the GT, and the local dealer had an open house this weekend (new owner), so I signed up for a ride.

Followed one of the owners for about 30 minutes on a nice demo route, a little freeway, and quite a bit of semi-residential twisties around Mount Helix here in San Diego.

My first bike ride in a little over a year and a half, after my last big accident, so started out a little tenderly, but after just a couple miles it was all coming back to me, and I started riding just about like I always did (except for the crashes of course ).

Had a real blast on the GT. No high speeds, maximum about 70 on the freeway, but the twisties were great. The bike really loves to turn! The LT was no slouch, but I can see how the GT could get addictive.

I was really surprised at the clunking transmission though. HARD clunks in at least the first 4 gears, 5th and 6th did not seem so bad.

BRAKES!! MOAB (Mother Of All Brakes). I had never ridden a power brake LT, mine was a 2001, so I was not quite ready for the first stop. 2 fingers on the front brake, and it was all I could do to keep from sitting on top of the tank. HOLY COW. I know I would get used to it, actually did pretty well before the end of the ride, but that certainly can be a heart stopper if you are not expecting it. I did start using the rear brake mostly, only holding it at stops with the front brake most of the time.

Not sure I would take this bike on the types of long distance rides I was doing on the LT though. Even with the ESA on one up Comfort mode it rode a little harsher than the LT did. May change my mind if I rode one for a little while and got used to it, but the wind noise was a little worse at 60 MPH, and I would likely have to add something like Bar Backs to get the bars back another couple inches. They were in the high position, which was just about right for me, but a little to much forward lean for my body.

Loved the footpeg position though! I never liked foot forward position on any bike, and the LT was very comfortable for me. The GT is farther back, but not drastically so. The only problem I had was finding the brake and shift levers. Further down than my LT trained feet were expecting.

All in all, I have to agree that this would be one helluva fun bike to own. And as Joe said, even the kinda ungly side panels are not an issue when you are sitting on the bike.

POWER? Oh yeah! Loved that. Wondering why the bike needs a 6 speed tranny? I think it would outdo the LT using only 2nd and 5th gears. 5th gear roll-on at 60 MPH was about like downshifting the LT to 3rd!

However, for me it will likely be a used LT when I get the green light to start back, unless the new LT is out by then. I loved the power of the GT, so hopefully the new generation LT will be similar. But, if and when I do get another bike if I decide that Long Distance riding is not what I want to do again, then the GT would fit the bill nicely.

When the ride was over, I stopped the bike and was feeling around for the side stand, had a hard time finding it, so looked down, still could not find it. Hmmm, what is that little black toothpick sticking out in FRONT of the foot peg? Yep, that was it. I expected it to be behind the foot peg.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 8:56 pm
fas

GT: why 6th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Wondering why the bike needs a 6 speed tranny? I think it would outdo the LT using only 2nd and 5th gears. 5th gear roll-on at 60 MPH was about like downshifting the LT to 3rd!
If you rode a bit faster, you would love the sixth gear. On our trip to and from Niagara Falls Canada, 44.7 MPG with cruise set on 80 and bursts of power when needed to cope with the cell phone cagers. In town, I am rarely out of 4th. On the slab, 6th is sweet, especially if you enjoy high speeds. The cruise is VERY well interfaced with the ECU, both going up and down in small increments. Now that I have almost 2,500 miles, the clunk from 1 to 2 is getting far less noticeable. The rest of the gears are now snick, snick, snick.....

Rob Nelson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #3 of 10 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 9:04 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I'd have to agree, David, with a few comments. The complaints you had have already all been addressed by the aftermarket (bar backs, windshield, etc.). And I hear the shift linkage can be adjusted to minimize the clunk in the lower gears.

And yes, the brakes work very well, especially if you're not expecting them. I'm just waiting for the '07 where they've gone away from the power booster pump. Not that I'd had any trouble with my '02 LT, but I can see that very expensive part being a liability after 100K miles.

I think it would make a great LD mount, similar to an FJR but with that BMW comfort. At leas that's what I'm hoping.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 10 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 9:21 pm

Hey, hey David - what a capper on the end of a great Sunday, to read that you've finally had an opportunity to swing a leg over. That just got everythang right with the universe.

Regarding any leetle niggling negatives found in your first ride, I betcha most of 'em will have work-arounds and easy fixes when you finally get the green light to put your money down. Thanks in part to Joe and El Jeffe and all the others that've added the GT to their stable this year. 'Sides, as much as you like to wrench, gotta have sumpthin' for you to find and be the pioneer for the mod/fix.

Good on ya, again, David. I'm really glad for you, and I know the site community is too. Just wait!!!

Take care, sir.
post #5 of 10 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 10:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, hey David - what a capper on the end of a great Sunday, to read that you've finally had an opportunity to swing a leg over. That just got everythang right with the universe.

Regarding any leetle niggling negatives found in your first ride, I betcha most of 'em will have work-arounds and easy fixes when you finally get the green light to put your money down. Thanks in part to Joe and El Jeffe and all the others that've added the GT to their stable this year. 'Sides, as much as you like to wrench, gotta have sumpthin' for you to find and be the pioneer for the mod/fix.

Good on ya, again, David. I'm really glad for you, and I know the site community is too. Just wait!!!

Take care, sir.
Thanks Dick. Yeah, still got a smile on my face. Even the negatives were not show stoppers by any means, just that, niggling little things I liked better on the LT, but would probably get used to fairly quickly.

When the boss does give the green light (AFTER WE MOVE), I will have to get more serious about just what I would want at that time. Relatively local (2-4 states away) riding with a lot of twisties, the GT would be a blast. If I decide to get back into LD riding again though, the LT would probably still be my choice, if the new one is out, probably even better.

Hey, Don Arthur is seriously looking at LD bikes again, so who knows. He is going to ride both the GT and newer LT to decide, but I think he may also end up feeling that the LT may be better for the many consecutive long days that LD rallies entail. Also, he is wondering how much room there is on a GT for a fuel cell with the top box added.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #6 of 10 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:56 am
IBR# 366

Garage
I've looked at aux fuel cell ideas for the GT. There is room to replace the rear seat, but you'd probably be better with a custom built unit. I'd like to see something like the pic below. Or there is always the tail dragger option.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 10 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
If you rode a bit faster, you would love the sixth gear. On our trip to and from Niagara Falls Canada, 44.7 MPG with cruise set on 80 and bursts of power when needed to cope with the cell phone cagers. In town, I am rarely out of 4th. On the slab, 6th is sweet, especially if you enjoy high speeds. The cruise is VERY well interfaced with the ECU, both going up and down in small increments. Now that I have almost 2,500 miles, the clunk from 1 to 2 is getting far less noticeable. The rest of the gears are now snick, snick, snick.....
Oh I am sure I would like all the gears. I was just comparing the power vs. the LT in different gears.

I was amazed at the hard clunks on gear change 2nd through 4th gears. All were much worse than the LT was. Surprised that the new generation transmission was so clunky! I think most Japanese sportsbike riders would be highly turned off by it.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #8 of 10 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 5:23 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Great to hear

Way to go David, fantastic to hear you got your leg over again ( so to speak )
After your time off, I guess any gears, clunky or not, would feel just fine. Your smile says it all, Motorcycling is very therapeutic. Ride safe. Cheers

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #9 of 10 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 6:06 pm
fas

Question therapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilton
....... Motorcycling is very therapeutic. Ride safe. Cheers
SO and I are planning a riding trip in Australia and New Zealand. We have pals in Christ Church. Maybe we can drop by and buy you guys a diet coke when we're riding past.

I TOTALLY agree with your point regarding the therapeutic aspect of riding. On 2 wheels since 1971, I LOVE to ride.

I'm close to booking with Edelweiss. Is anybody better?

We prefer to ride 2 up.

Thanks.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #10 of 10 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 5:01 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Great roads, "miles of smiles ---- vkk"

Hey Rob, don't know much about Edelweiss in Aust. but they have good reviews in Europe. Diet coke is OK, but we reside in the middle of some really grand wine country, after riding of course. Let me know when you plan to come on down, and Rena and I would love to show you around. Prior to March '07.
PM me when we can help out. Cheers.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in