Rear tire removal - ARGH! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 1:00 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Rear tire removal - ARGH!

IMO, the boys at BMW screwed this one up. When removing the rear tire, you have to swing the exhaust out of the way. Bummer!

Perhaps it was unavoidable...I dunno. I was just kinda hoping that it was going to be a 5-bolt ordeal. Not that moving the exhaust is such a big deal in a garage or shop, but it makes for roadside work a bit yuckier. Not to mention the fact that you have to wait awhile until that baby cools down a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 2:05 pm

What I used to do on my old XS850 was park the bike on the kerb, next to the road, and then turn the bike over the road, and drop the wheel down and out, and reverse the process to get it in.

Don't know the clearances to the rear - but the extra height should allow at least a turn/anngle of the wheel.

Niall
post #3 of 12 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 3:00 pm

Caught two pin hole size puntures in a 2800 mile new tire, took a look down there and decided that the $85 Battley charged to mount and balance was well worth it. Put two stop and go plugs in and hauled ass for the dealer, I'm a pussy.

post #4 of 12 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 4:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall
What I used to do on my old XS850 was park the bike on the kerb, next to the road, and then turn the bike over the road, and drop the wheel down and out, and reverse the process to get it in.
Might have to give that a try one day. Thanks.
post #5 of 12 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 4:27 pm

Gee, I thought only Harleys had to have the exhaust removed to change the tire....

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #6 of 12 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 5:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWphreak
Gee, I thought only Harleys had to have the exhaust removed to change the tire....
At least my BMW has a centerstand. Haven't seen one of those on a Harley lately.
post #7 of 12 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 5:49 pm
fas

Wink rubber life? GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I dunno. I was just kinda hoping that it was going to be a 5-bolt ordeal. Not that moving the exhaust is such a big deal in a garage or shop, but it makes for roadside work a bit yuckier.
Joe,
What happened to your tire? With all our high speed runs, I'm getting a flat spot in the middle on my rear already at 2,400. Haven't put the depth gauge to it yet, but it sure is visable. I love the tires for cornering. SO and I just love the GT. But, I'm thinking the tires will not last to 14,000 like the Metz did on the LT. We are running a tad faster.....

Rob Nelson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #8 of 12 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 5:22 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
You mean the GT's not perfect? It has a flaw?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 12 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 9:42 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
You mean the GT's not perfect? It has a flaw?
Don't know that I'd call it a "flaw", more of an inconvience. I know you're just razzin' me here, but...

On the other hand, Friday I had the GT stripped down and the gas tank removed. (Routing wires, etc.) I put her back together in less than an hour. I'd bet you can strip it, change the fuel filter and air filter and dress her back up in under 90 minutes. A very nice change!

But the rear wheel removal still SUCKS!
post #10 of 12 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:46 am
Lifetime Supporter

Does the "tool kit" come with the necessary tool to remove the lug studs? One of the guys I went to AK last year with had a 1200GS, and found out, in the parking lot of Whitehorse Honda, that BMW changed from a 'normal' bolt head to a Torx (T-50 IIRC). I'm not sure about the full toolkit, but in the abbreviated BMW toolkit the Torx was not included.

Motor On ,/'

post #11 of 12 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 3:46 pm

I hope I never have to fix a flat, but the idea of putting it up a curb and then swinging the back end over is really smart. Thanks for the tip. Ron
post #12 of 12 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 4:22 pm

Have a Nomar unit and the Marc Parnes balancer and would like to put fresh rubber on for the DRG.

Joe or anybody since I don't have the manual yet other than the exhaust what else do I need to do to remove the rear tire. For instance brake caliper? Also what is the torque value when you spin the lug nuts on?

For that matter since I don't have a bull dog stand yet any idea on the front wheel removal?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in