Qu: Sensitivity of Throttle/FI? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 9:07 am Thread Starter

Qu: Sensitivity of Throttle/FI?

The GT is a target replacement for the LT if/when that moment comes for me. One item that concerns me is the sensitivity of the throttle. I was just reading on the FJR site the complaints of some riders who can't/don't use the throttle in the corner because the jerky response leaves them worried about traction when leant over.

I was also riding a Multistrada last week and while I loved it, its throttle jerkiness is so off/on I believe its dangerous when in fast corners well leant over. So, the topic is on my mind.

So GT riders, what is the nature of the throttle on the GT, where on the continuum does it sit?

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 9:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmg08057
The GT is a target replacement for the LT if/when that moment comes for me. One item that concerns me is the sensitivity of the throttle. I was just reading on the FJR site the complaints of some riders who can't/don't use the throttle in the corner because the jerky response leaves them worried about traction when leant over.

I was also riding a Multistrada last week and while I loved it, its throttle jerkiness is so off/on I believe its dangerous when in fast corners well leant over. So, the topic is on my mind.

So GT riders, what is the nature of the throttle on the GT, where on the continuum does it sit?
Those FJR riders weren't the ones trying to keep up with me!

My GT's throttle response is "sensitive", I guess. But I like it. Just because some yahoo can't feather the throttle doesn't mean that it's wrong. No what I mean?

But here's an update for ya...

This week, BMW released Ver7.0 s/w for the GT, S, and R's powerplant. It addresses the throttle response issue, as well as other minor things. All of the reports coming in so far are all VERY positive. I am getting the update tomorrow with my 6K service. I'll report back to let you know what I think.
post #3 of 14 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 11:34 am Thread Starter

Thanks Joe. I am interested in the latest update and its effects. I know from the Multistrada and I suspect from the comments on the FJR that the problem I want to avoid is not just the jerkiness when the throttle is opened, but the absolute minimal setting on the throttle in open position has considerable acceleration. There is no possibility of feathering unless the clutch is used.

Let us know....

Ralph

post #4 of 14 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 11:49 am

I'll let you know my impressions of ver 7.0 tomorrow.

In the meanwhile, you may want to comb through some of the threads over at K-Bikes.com, if you haven't already.
post #5 of 14 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 3:31 pm

Quote:
Thanks Joe. I am interested in the latest update and its effects. I know from the Multistrada and I suspect from the comments on the FJR that the problem I want to avoid is not just the jerkiness when the throttle is opened, but the absolute minimal setting on the throttle in open position has considerable acceleration. There is no possibility of feathering unless the clutch is used.

Let us know....
Understanding that I ride an '05 FJR (not an '06), I have to indicate that the FJR and GT throttle responses are about the same; and I find neither to have the 'jerkiness' that some are describing..

YMMV

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 H-D Dyna-Glide Conv.
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc
post #6 of 14 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 3:41 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Several folks also complained that BMW's new Integral brakes were jerky and hard to control. (OK, the rear especially was on the R1150RT, but they fixed that). But I've never had a problem with them on the LT. Sure it takes some reasonable control, but that's just because they work really well. I'd rather have controls that respond well and learn to use them, then try to ride ham-fisted and complain that they didn't make the thing right.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 14 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 4:46 pm Thread Starter

Well Ken, ignoring your rather "ham-fisted" implication, I don't recommend you ride a bike at its extremes and find the throttle response is jerky with no capacity for a neutral throttle, or gradual acceleration. If a bike does this, then the bike's limits are being determined by its throttle/FI, not by its suspension and rider inputs, something I'd rather not have in a bike.

Ralph

post #8 of 14 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 5:03 pm
fas

Cool throttle

Quote:
Ralph in Phily,

Frankly, it took me about a week or so to come to grips with my GT throttle. The engine braking with the 13-1 compression ratio is much more engine braking than I was expecting, having ridden the LT for four years. SO bounced off my back a few times due to my habit of releasing the throttle quickly while in gear. Our northern Ohio roads are rough and the GT is really amazing at giving the rider the ability to lay down power. Now with over 2,300 miles, I am VERY comfortable with the throttle response and my ability to modulate it at speed, even in the twisty areas. GT requires some concentration at first, but now I am so in love with the feeling it would be hard to go back. Except for crisis [cage driver on cell drifting into my lane] or low speed stopping in traffic, I rarely need to apply the brakes due to the amazing engine braking. I have no hesitation to apply power in turns. The throttle linearity and response are sweet. Just a big jump from the LT. Much more juice per degree of rotation.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #9 of 14 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 8:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
I have no hesitation to apply power in turns. The throttle linearity and response are sweet.
That sounds excellent. Thanks Rob. I was concerned because there had been quite variable reports on this issue, further obscured by the software versioning overlaying it all.

Ralph

post #10 of 14 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 3:18 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Sorry if I offended, Ralph, I didn't mean to imply anything about any one in particular. But yes, I have seen many "ham-fisted" riders who really didn't have the skills to be on the road. And that scares me a bit, both for themselves and all the others on the road.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 14 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 3:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
This week, BMW released Ver7.0 s/w for the GT, S, and R's powerplant. It addresses the throttle response issue, as well as other minor things. All of the reports coming in so far are all VERY positive. I am getting the update tomorrow with my 6K service. I'll report back to let you know what I think.
Just curious as to what issues you may be having that you would like resolved with the 7.0 version?

And yeah I've been keeping up on the K12S issues just not so much on the GT....

TIA

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #12 of 14 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 5:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerider
Just curious as to what issues you may be having that you would like resolved with the 7.0 version?
None. I'm just an update freak! I always need to know what I'm missing. I hear that ver 7 has really smooth throttle response for rolling on and off the first half of the throttle. Much more analog, rather than digital (on/off). We'll see...
post #13 of 14 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 5:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
None. I'm just an update freak! I always need to know what I'm missing. I hear that ver 7 has really smooth throttle response for rolling on and off the first half of the throttle. Much more analog, rather than digital (on/off). We'll see...
I understand. Looking forward to your 7.0 evaluation then.

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #14 of 14 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 4:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The "issue" with the '06 FJR is that Yamaha decided to go with a progressive cam on the throttle pulley (like many cars use) to make the bike feel more responsive off the line.

I personally didn't have a serious problem with the throttle response but on advise of a poster on FJRforums.com, I placed a small shim in the pulley to round it out the cam profile. It made a small positive difference so I've left it there.

It's my feeling that most of the "problem" is really just a characteristic of driving very powerful motorcycle.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in