2007 K12GT - ABS light on - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jun 24th, 2015, 5:00 am Thread Starter

2007 K12GT - ABS light on

A mate's son just purchased an 07 from a dealer interstate. The dealer was asked if there were any fault lights on the dash,..... answer was "no, none". Bike was delivered and upon turning on the ignition and starting the engine, the ABS light stays lit, not flashing. Anyone have an explanation for this ? He says the pump motors are silent as I showed him how my LT sounds etc.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jun 24th, 2015, 8:37 am

Re: 2007 K12GT - ABS light on

My guess:
His ABS unit electrical brushes are stuck in their holders preventing them from making contact with the shaft, thus, not producing electricity to the pump. A fairly common problem. He has 2 options, pay a dealer about $1500 for a new pump or send it to an abs repair facility. Here in the U.S. we have a great shop that will fix it with a 5 year warranty for about $300 and have it back to you in a week. You know better what's available in Aus.
post #3 of 6 Old Jun 24th, 2015, 7:02 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

The ABS light does come on when the ignition is turned on, and stays on when the engine is started. Only after rolling away (so the wheel speed sensors send signals) do all the lights clear.

I don't remember the exact sequence of solid, flashing, etc., but I'd at least try to ride the bike half a block or so and see if the lights clear.

If not, then he definitely needs to contact the dealer and complain that the bike isn't as described.

As to the noise, you won't hear any pump or motor noise on the '07 GT.

The '06 GT had the power assisted brakes (like the older LT bikes) that did give a brake whine when powered up, but the '07 and newer GT bikes don't have power assisted brakes, hence no ABS whine.

If there is a problem even after a short ride, then your dealer should be willing to take care of it. And if not, then as mentioned there are places in the US that will rebuild the ABS module for a reasonable price. Shipping two ways may get expensive though . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 21st, 2015, 11:42 am

Thumbs down Re: 2007 K12GT - ABS light on

Last Dec while riding my ABS light started flashing and I lost rear braking on 06 GT. BMW tells me it w ill cost $3k for new ABS pump..my non BMW shop tells me a shop in IDAHO can fix for $500.00. Save $2500 is no brainer right? Ten months latter still waiting for Idaho to fix pump..it is the servo-assist abs pump. Has any one dealt with this shop in Idaho?

joe
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 21st, 2015, 6:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehalbe View Post
Last Dec while riding my ABS light started flashing and I lost rear braking on 06 GT. BMW tells me it w ill cost $3k for new ABS pump..my non BMW shop tells me a shop in IDAHO can fix for $500.00. Save $2500 is no brainer right? Ten months latter still waiting for Idaho to fix pump..it is the servo-assist abs pump. Has any one dealt with this shop in Idaho?

joe
Not personally, but many people have posted good experiences from Module Masters in Idaho. I have seen several satisfied posts on i-bmw.com and k-bikes. Yours is the first post I have seen where there was a problem with them.

My bike had an ABS problem. The dealer sent it to Module Masters and claims that Module Masters told them that they could not fix my specific ABS issue, so I had to buy a new one. I have always wondered whether the dealer was telling the truth, but had no time to investigate.
post #6 of 6 Old Oct 21st, 2015, 7:53 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Just so you all know Tyler at Module Masters has been trying for several years to source parts for the servo assisted BMW brakes. They currently are NOT offering repair of these so I don't know what your dealer is doing. The hardest parts to get are the pressure transducers and a few shops in Europe have found substitutes that are a bit larger than the originals.

They do a great job on the non-servo assisted ABS units.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in