Added over 2 cubic feet of waterproof storage to the GT! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 9:26 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Added over 2 cubic feet of waterproof storage to the GT!

This one is only for the 1-UP folks...sorry.

In preparation for my CCR trip, I wanted to add a seat bag (or something?) to the GT. I starting looking at my options. Duffle bags, seat bags, etc., etc... I wanted something waterproof, I knew that. And I wanted something big, but not too big. And if it worked out to be a good backrest, yippee! Then there's always the COST. But we all know that you usually get what you pay for.

Well not this time!

I think what I have rigged up is going to do all of the above, and more. I found a waterproof puncture-proof dufflebag on eBay for $39.98 to my door! The quality is superb! Then, I bought two 6-hook Bungee cargo nets for $3.99 each. Total cost = $48.52!

But wait...there's more!!!

Next, I took 2 standard milk crates (13"L x 13"W x 11"H) that I had laying around (lifetime musician's tend to have them), and I chopped off 1.5" off 1 side of each of the crates. I placed them inside the duffle bag with the newly cut side facing each other as to form one new crate measuring 23"L x 13"W x 11"H, and I zip-tied those babies together. Now I have a hard-sided duffle bag that obviously holds it's shape very well, AND it's LIGHT! It sits on the grab rails nicely too. The duffle bag also has a pocket on each side 14" x 14" x 1.5" for handy storage. Sweet!

Finally, I took the 2 Bungee cargo nets and hooked them to the grab rails, wrapped around the ends of the duffle and hooked the nets together on top. Holds the duffle in place, and I can always stuff other things under the net as I see fit. Adding another bag on top would be a piece of cake as well.

(FWIW, the pic below is the duffle bag completely empty.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 11:37 pm

Nice job; this is the thing you were discussing yesterday, I take it. Practical, inexpensive, does the job. Cool.

I just hope you used the black zip ties.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 1:52 am
IBR# 366

Garage
White zip ties would be fine in this case, as they're inside the bag and so don't see direct sunlight.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 5 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 2:29 am

That looks really professional. Pity I'd have to stuff my wife inside...

Brian
post #5 of 5 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 8:49 am

Wow

Now I had it all wrong, I though you left all your opinions at home
But I guess that would have been more than just 2 cuft
Rock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in