GT Saddlebag Straps - I think I figured it out! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 5:53 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation GT Saddlebag Straps - I think I figured it out!

I apologize if this has been discussed and I missed it.

A few people have commented on how their saddlebags straps have come undone and their lovely painted saddlebag door falls freely to the ground and scratches it all up. But I think I may have discovered the problem. The problem is that these straps are NOT being installed correctly at the dealership (Mine wasn't!). When they are installed correctly, the straps are almost impossible to come off. See pic below...

I hope this thread saves someone some aggravation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 6:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13

A few people have commented on how their saddlebags straps have come undone and their lovely painted saddlebag door falls freely to the ground and scratches it all up. But I think I may have discovered the problem. The problem is that these straps are NOT being installed correctly at the dealership (Mine wasn't!). When they are installed correctly, the straps are almost impossible to come off. See pic below...

good catch Joe!

tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #3 of 13 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 6:18 pm

Garage
That's a good one Joe,

I've seen more than one GT that had marks of a case lid that opened too far. On the center stand the lid won't hit the pavement, but the one on the right hand side will touch the exhaust (that has a sharp edge that leaves a mark).

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92

post #4 of 13 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 6:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ®win
That's a good one Joe,

I've seen more than one GT that had marks of a case lid that opened too far. On the center stand the lid won't hit the pavement, but the one on the right hand side will touch the exhaust (that has a sharp edge that leaves a mark).
And when the GT is on it's sidestand, the left one crashes into the ground.

I've been very careful each time I opened my bags...and once I found the strap to be unattached. Could've been UGLY! While working today, I decided to see if there was a way to secure them into place. Bingo!
post #5 of 13 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 3:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13

I just posted a low-tech tie-strap solution Joe, I didn't see yours. And I still can't see it . . . I can't seem to open the picture. This is my office's Mail/Exchange server and the geeks have lots of stuff blocked, I think.

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #6 of 13 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 3:57 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
I just posted a low-tech tie-strap solution Joe, I didn't see yours. And I still can't see it . . . I can't seem to open the picture. This is my office's Mail/Exchange server and the geeks have lots of stuff blocked, I think.
It is not your server - the photos have been deleted by Joe. The photos showed the clip being rotated 180 degrees so that it becomes captured between the case and the bracket.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 13 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 5:39 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
This was the solution:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	foto 001a.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	7350  

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #8 of 13 Old Jun 6th, 2011, 1:33 pm

Re: GT Saddlebag Straps - I think I figured it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ®win
This was the solution:
I have been keeping this thread ready to do the "fix". Today, i finally got around to attempting the turning around of the clip.
BUT, I am noit able to do this. I tried to force the clip in the inside part of the catch. NO GO. Is there a trick to forcing it in? Maybe heat or a screwdrive. I am afraid of breaking the catch part. So, who has done it and how?

Larry
2009GT

Larry
2009 Deep Blue K1300GT
post #9 of 13 Old Jun 6th, 2011, 4:43 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
So, who has done it and how?
As the picture shows, I did it ....

Just push gently.

Erwin

post #10 of 13 Old Jun 6th, 2011, 6:38 pm

Yep, a little force is all I needed. A little "lube" of some sort never hurts (i.e. Vaseline, Honda Spray cleaner, lithium grease, butter, etc...).

A thread that's almost 5 years old gets revitalized today ... who'd a thunk?

- Joe
post #11 of 13 Old Jun 6th, 2011, 7:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
I have been keeping this thread ready to do the "fix". Today, i finally got around to attempting the turning around of the clip.
BUT, I am noit able to do this. I tried to force the clip in the inside part of the catch. NO GO. Is there a trick to forcing it in? Maybe heat or a screwdrive. I am afraid of breaking the catch part. So, who has done it and how?

Larry
2009GT
I have seen the fix in the photo. This thread is VERY old.

Most KGT owners prefer an alternate solution:

Take an ordinary cable tie (tie wrap) and loop it through the hole. Snug it up and trim off the excess. Notice that the strap will not come loose or fall out. If you want to disconnect the strap, just cut the cable tie, and remember to replace it when you're done.

I did my side cases and 49 liter top case with the cable ties nearly four years ago. They are still holding up fine, and I never found a need to remove them.
post #12 of 13 Old Jun 7th, 2011, 3:15 pm

Smile Re: GT Saddlebag Straps - I think I figured it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
I have seen the fix in the photo. This thread is VERY old.

Most KGT owners prefer an alternate solution:

Take an ordinary cable tie (tie wrap) and loop it through the hole. Snug it up and trim off the excess. Notice that the strap will not come loose or fall out. If you want to disconnect the strap, just cut the cable tie, and remember to replace it when you're done.

I did my side cases and 49 liter top case with the cable ties nearly four years ago. They are still holding up fine, and I never found a need to remove them.

Thanks for the tip of the cable ties.It is really a better solution as it is easily undone, while the twisting around method looks as if it would be much more difficult to undo if necessary. I kept a copy of this thread with the picture so it would remind me to do it someday. "Someday" happened when I was opening the case 1200 miles from home and the strap unhooked. Fortunately, I caught the lid as it opened.
Thanks for this great forum.

Larry
2009 Deep Blue K1300GT
post #13 of 13 Old Jun 8th, 2011, 3:51 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
Yep, a little force is all I needed. A little "lube" of some sort never hurts (i.e. Vaseline, Honda Spray cleaner, lithium grease, butter, etc...).

A thread that's almost 5 years old gets revitalized today ... who'd a thunk?
I did this to my GT a couple of years ago. After I had fu&ęd the paint on the left side!!!!!!

2017 R1200RT
2010 R1200RT Sold
2002 R1100S
1993 R100RT
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in