Thinking of trading my LT for a GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 7:53 pm Thread Starter

Thinking of trading my LT for a GT

I have had an 03 and now an 05 LT. My only complaint is the high center of gravity and low speed handling, especially with a passenger. I am 5'8" so this is a problem. Is there anyone out there that has made the change to the GT that is dissatisfied with their decision? I love my LT especially on the highway so I am sure that the GT is only more of the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 10:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS
Is there anyone out there that has made the change to the GT that is dissatisfied with their decision?
Yea...I'm not sure I'm totally satisfied with the GT. Although, it is getting better gas mileage than the LT did. And the extra 50 HP or so is a nice added "feature". I can't say that I'm missing the 200-and-some pounds that I lost buying the GT. The fact that there's more storage on the GT is nice. And the headlights actually do what they're supposed to do. And the GT's amazingly unbelievably smooooooth suspension with ESA is kinda sorta nice. I guess. If you're into such things. And then there's the ambient temperature sensing heated grips, and the automatic self-illuminating dash. And the GT is a breeze to put up on the centerstand. But I don't know...

Hhmmn...

I guess my decision wasn't such a bad one after all.
post #3 of 74 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 10:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Yea...I'm not sure I'm totally satisfied with the GT. Although, it is getting better gas mileage than the LT did. And the extra 50 HP or so is a nice added "feature". I can't say that I'm missing the 200-and-some pounds that I lost buying the GT. The fact that there's more storage on the GT is nice. And the headlights actually do what they're supposed to do. And the GT's amazingly unbelievably smooooooth suspension with ESA is kinda sorta nice. I guess. If you're into such things. And then there's the ambient temperature sensing heated grips, and the automatic self-illuminating dash. And the GT is a breeze to put up on the centerstand. But I don't know...

Hhmmn...

+1

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 H-D Dyna-Glide Conv.
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc

post #4 of 74 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 2:43 am

Garage
Quote:

Hhmmn...

Joe,

You will know for sure if you'd go back to an LT. I had to swap back from the GT to my LT yesterday after 2˝ weeks - 1100 miles. Boy, what a difference...

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #5 of 74 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 2:52 am

Thumbs up British American

Quote:

Hhmmn...

I like this. Proper irony. Almost a British sense of humour!

Brian
post #6 of 74 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 5:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ®win
Joe,

You will know for sure if you'd go back to an LT. I had to swap back from the GT to my LT yesterday after 2˝ weeks - 1100 miles. Boy, what a difference...
BTDT, I still want my GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipenslippers

Brian
I'll take that as a compliment.
post #7 of 74 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 6:01 am

Garage
Quote:
BTDT, I still want my GT.
That's what I was referring to I copy that decision.

Pfff, how do I tell the SO?

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #8 of 74 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 6:27 am

Quote:
I have had an 03 and now an 05 LT. My only complaint is the high center of gravity and low speed handling, especially with a passenger. I am 5'8" so this is a problem. Is there anyone out there that has made the change to the GT that is dissatisfied with their decision? I love my LT especially on the highway so I am sure that the GT is only more of the same.

I do not own a GT, i have rode one twice now, so I'm no pro,

but i do have 125k miles on the lt,
the lt is a sweet machine for sure
untill you ride the GT, then the GT surpasses the lt, personally I think i can tell if a passenger would be happy on a bike after all the years I have been riding.

Buy the GT your SO will love you for it the first time you hit a bump or have to do a quick turn around and she won;t get emabarrassed for your lack of turning ability with that heavy Lt

<grin>

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #9 of 74 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 9:38 am

Had an '02 K12RS and loved it. Bought an '03 LT and thought I had the best of both worlds. Traded the '02 RS on an '03 model. My mood dictated which bike I'd ride. Found them both to be great touring and commuting machines. Sold the '03 RS and traded the '03 LT for an '06 model. Something just wasn't right. I liked the sporty ride and performance of the RS, but also preferred the comfort of the LT. I'd been looking at the GT for a while. All it took was a test ride. Now I've got everything I want, and more, in one package.

Mike
'06 GT
post #10 of 74 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 11:19 am

I fill finally get a test ride tomorrow on the GT after having to wait almost 5 months for them to have one on the floor that wasn't pre-sold, so I can't claim to be a GT expert. What I did find out from the dealer was that if I was going to trade my 99LT in on it, that I would be lucky to get $5000 for it. The LT depreciates quickly and that rate is likely to start accelerating with a new LT just over the horizon and people trading their old bikes in on new models like the GT and GS. Since my LT today is only worth 20% of a new one, I think I will just keep it and just add a GT to my stable. I will still use the LT for two up touring and better yet I have a bike to ride when the GT ends up sitting in the shop for three weeks waiting for some exotic part to arrive from Germany. I think by keeping it, I am out very little money and have the best of both worlds. Ron
post #11 of 74 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 2:45 pm
fas

Cool Don't trade. Sell it yourself.

Ron,

My 2002 LTC sold on eBay for $12,000 in two days. Now I have 2,250 miles on the GT. SO loves it. I love it. Nimble and superbly comfortable at speed. ESA is the real deal. We have gone much longer on the GT due to the ride quality. We like being closer together. I did the top case too. Amazing storage and all of it can be carried into the hotel with zero effort.

Rob Nelson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #12 of 74 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 3:00 pm

Thumbs up It's A Baby LT

I Demoed a GT at the BMW MOA rally and I thought the bike was awesome and very refined. I seriously thought about buying one as I rode it. It raises the K Bike standard for me and may help BMW keep some of their LT-to-Gold Wing refugees in the house, for a little less money.

I heard that the seat sucks but so does the stock seat on my ’05 LT. So that hasn’t changed. My Euro shield is noisy as hell. The GT doesn’t have a 6-disc cd player but who needs that when it takes up half of the right bag anyways. Though I haven’t researched it fully, I hear GT valve adjustments might be laborious due to the new engine’s placement.

Playing with the ESA feature was fun, and now there’s a 6th gear in the transmission. Also, you finally can enjoy the K Bike quality, in a much lighter touring package. Think of it as a Baby LT for a bit less money than the LT. I’m on my second LT and I would definitely consider one. And believe it or not I Demoed a ‘06 RT, (never had ridden an RT before), the day before and probably would not consider one of those.

There was a strong number of ‘06 GTs at the Rally, so BMW must be doing something right. And finally, the $20,000 motorcycle is becoming more and more common across the different brands & marques. Keep in mind that for some the quality isn’t always reflected in the price! The GT has plenty of qualities IMHO!!

GoldRush
'06 K1200LT - As of March 2017!
'05 K1200LT - RIP - (totaled 7/8/08)
Former Yankee Beemer Member
Former BMWMOA Member
post #13 of 74 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 7:37 pm

Gold Rush are you going to the mid summer Yankee Beemers meeting in CT next week?
post #14 of 74 Old Aug 19th, 2006, 10:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
Ron,

My 2002 LTC sold on eBay for $12,000 in two days. Now I have 2,250 miles on the GT. SO loves it. I love it. Nimble and superbly comfortable at speed. ESA is the real deal. We have gone much longer on the GT due to the ride quality. We like being closer together. I did the top case too. Amazing storage and all of it can be carried into the hotel with zero effort.
What he said! Just think, you could sell it between what the dealer said, $5K and the $8200 that NADA quotes and make a dream come true for a newby. Everybody wins!

Sandy
Temporary tourist in the lower 48 states
post #15 of 74 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 12:50 am

Quote:
The GT is a technological marvel -- a truly amazing machine. I rarely ever demo ride bikes, usually only if I'm serious about trading on one.

So, a week or two ago I arranged for a rest ride. As I said, and amazing machine. But I didn't "fit" You're 5'8"; I'm 5'7", with a 30" inseam. I couldn't get comfortable on the GT. A shame, really, as I pretty much wanted to buy one.

The good news for me is that as a result of the test drive, my nearly two-year-old '05 has turned into a new '06 LT, with a "free" Nav III. The test ride showed me that the LT is still a much better fit for me (of course, it helps that I don't find the low-speed handing or balance to be any problem), and the end-of year incentive put me over the edge.

So, my advice is to not convince yourself that you want a GT until you've ridden one. If it trips your trigger, great! At least you'll know this way whether your buying because it's the "right" bike for you, rather than the bike you were wishing/hoping/praying it would be.

HTH!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #16 of 74 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 8:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
Ron,

just remember in some states you get the difference between trade in and your sale price off in sales tax

IOW

you buy a bike for 20k
they offer you 5k trade in
you only pay tax on 15k
if you sell the bike retail no trade you pay the fulltax on 20k

so if you sell it retail make sure your getting enough to offset the sales tax

(which you usually do)

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #17 of 74 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 10:54 am

Traded my '00 LT for the GT. No regrets.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue Honu
post #18 of 74 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 11:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
just remember in some states you get the difference between trade in and your sale price off in sales tax
Cool!

Oh, wait a minute -- I live in the Communistwealth of Virginia, land of the ban on radar detectors, etc.

So, of course, full boat taxation on vehicles Your way would have saved me more than $450!

Any good jobs down in your neck of the woods??

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #19 of 74 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 7:03 am

I found your reply interesting Mark in that I share some of your comments. I have both the new GT and my '05LT. I almost sold my LT but decided not to. That being said, I've done things to the GT, such as add the Cee Bailey wider windscreen and a Sargent (Sargent is here in Jacksonville) customized seat, to move it closer to the LT as a touring bike. I may incur the wrath of many on this one but IMO it cannot equal the LT for sheer comfort and ride quality for long distance touring. No fault there, I don't think BMW was targeting the LT market. The GT is a blast to ride, has adequate comfort, and can be accessorized sufficiently to be a 'good' tourer, but the comfort factor is not the same.

But, what caught my eye was your comment: "I couldn't get comfortable on the GT. A shame, really, as I pretty much wanted to buy one." Our physical attributes are similar at my 5' 8" and 30" inseam, so it piqued my curiosity. Obviously the seating position is more geared towards a sport bike, but not as severe with the adjustable/higher and wider bars. The seat is atrocious, but that could easily be corrected, so I wonder if it was just the general ergonomics or something else Mark?
Regards,
John

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #20 of 74 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 7:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
But, what caught my eye was your comment: "I couldn't get comfortable on the GT. A shame, really, as I pretty much wanted to buy one." Our physical attributes are similar at my 5' 8" and 30" inseam, so it piqued my curiosity. Obviously the seating position is more geared towards a sport bike, but not as severe with the adjustable/higher and wider bars. The seat is atrocious, but that could easily be corrected, so I wonder if it was just the general ergonomics or something else Mark?
Regards,
John
Excellent Q, John. I believe it was a combination of three things:

-- I have 40-50 pounds on you, which um, takes up excess space between the tank and body and adds to pressure on the shoulders/hands and er, "other" parts;

-- I have memories of an ultimately unsatisfactory experience with a similar situation with an R11RT, where the initial body position was similar and I thought "it's close, and with a couple mods it should be great" -- after 8 months of BarBaks, Russell seats, adjustments, etc., I finally had to admit that I couldn't "tailor" the bike to meet my desires. I didn't want to take a chance on going through the same thing again with the GT;

-- My wallet's not as deep as yours, so I can't pick and choose from a large stable everyday Seriously, I tend to drive one bike, and only one bike, as my primary daily commuter and touring vehicle (your R100 Mystic is literally the first time in nearly 30 years that I've owned two bikes at one time; the other bikes in the garage are SWMBO's ). Because of this, and my ever decreasing spare time for modifying things, I want/need the bike to "fit" from the get-go. Unfortunately, the GT didn't.

So, there ya go. BTW, the Mystic will be at CCR -- let me know if you want to ride her again to see how far you've come

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #21 of 74 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 7:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
Excellent Q, John. I believe it was a combination of three things:

-- I have 40-50 pounds on you, which um, takes up excess space between the tank and body and adds to pressure on the shoulders/hands and er, "other" parts;

-- I have memories of an ultimately unsatisfactory experience with a similar situation with an R11RT, where the initial body position was similar and I thought "it's close, and with a couple mods it should be great" -- after 8 months of BarBaks, Russell seats, adjustments, etc., I finally had to admit that I couldn't "tailor" the bike to meet my desires. I didn't want to take a chance on going through the same thing again with the GT;

-- My wallet's not as deep as yours, so I can't pick and choose from a large stable everyday Seriously, I tend to drive one bike, and only one bike, as my primary daily commuter and touring vehicle (your R100 Mystic is literally the first time in nearly 30 years that I've owned two bikes at one time; the other bikes in the garage are SWMBO's ). Because of this, and my ever decreasing spare time for modifying things, I want/need the bike to "fit" from the get-go. Unfortunately, the GT didn't.

So, there ya go. BTW, the Mystic will be at CCR -- let me know if you want to ride her again to see how far you've come
Thanks for the reply Mark. BTW, a very major differences in our riding is that unless you have changed I believe you use the LT as a commuter bike. That being said, a lot different than my 100 mile jaunts in a week, or an occasional long trip. And sometimes age (and mistakes leaves an impression) . . . I could have been lulled into thinking I could 'MAKE' the GT into an LT but decided not to risk it. Glad I waited because all of the screens, seats, and whatever will not do the trick.

Your usage is fun and transportation, mine is all fun. I have been 'coached' by some others that to really get to be 'one' with a bike one should ride it exclusively. I suspect there's some great truth in that if 'one's' riding tends to take them to the 'edge', where my riding does not. So, at almost 66 I am equally comfortable (riding skill wise) on the LT, GT, or GS. And find that switching has its joys . . . Gee, let's ride the LT this week, hey, it feels like a new bike to me. Look forward to seeing the Mystic, especially since all of the work you put into it. I was reading an article on detailing in the latest ON and ironically, while I am a detailing nut, I thought of you cleaning up the airhead of its ugly stains. Thanks for the offer unless I misunderstood, but I am content to just look Mark, so have no fear that I would even think of sitting on your restored Mystic.

Regards

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #22 of 74 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 7:56 am

Thumbs up Well put!

Mark,

Your reply is the perfect reason why nobody should ever buy a bike that just doesn't work for them. Yet, we see it all of the time. I really liked it when you said, "...after 8 months of BarBaks, Russell seats, adjustments, etc., I finally had to admit that I couldn't "tailor" the bike to meet my desires." There are simply too many great bikes available on the market today to try to make a bike fit you, when 5 others would work better straight out of the box. Unfortunately, we live in a "Have It Your Way" society. People get their minds made-up and there's no changing them. At the expense of us listening to them whine, moan, and complain about every mod that's just not working right, or is stupid, or made wrong, etc., etc...

Buy a bike that fits, and let the mods make it a better bike.
post #23 of 74 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 8:02 am

Talking

Quote:
Mark,

Your reply is the perfect reason why nobody should ever buy a bike that just doesn't work for them. Yet, we see it all of the time. I really liked it when you said, "...after 8 months of BarBaks, Russell seats, adjustments, etc., I finally had to admit that I couldn't "tailor" the bike to meet my desires." There are simply too many great bikes available on the market today to try to make a bike fit you, when 5 others would work better straight out of the box. Unfortunately, we live in a "Have It Your Way" society. People get their minds made-up and there's no changing them. At the expense of us listening to them whine, moan, and complain about every mod that's just not working right, or is stupid, or made wrong, etc., etc...

Buy a bike that fits, and let the mods make it a better bike.
Ask me about my K1200S purchase. A magnificent bike but just NOT ME: comfortable enough, a true blast, handled like a dream, but c'mon. Some will claim that the 12S is not a 'true' sport bike (wheelbase, shaft, etc) but it sure looks like one. I got sucked into the marketing vortex, loved its looks and power, and then sat back and said, this just ain't me. The GT straddles the LT and the K12S in my mind and with its side cases, large topcase, and large windscreen, has the proper appearance and fit, to meet not only my riding needs and skill, but my age and demeanor. Squids don't even wave at me on the GT. Which is fine.

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #24 of 74 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 8:51 am

Quote:
Squids don't even wave at me on the GT. Which is fine.
Maybe you're not checking your mirrors often enough.
post #25 of 74 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 10:09 am

Quote:
Look forward to seeing the Mystic ... but I am content to just look Mark, so have no fear that I would even think of sitting on your restored Mystic.
More cleaned-up than "restored," so don't be shy if you want to take her for a spin -- bikes are for riding, not being garage queens

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #26 of 74 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 2:45 pm

Question What is a SQUID?

I get the feeling I am going to regret asking this question, but what the hell is a squid you are referring, I am sure it is not a big fishy think that tastes great fried with oyster sauce, or is it? You have to make allowances, I am from the UK!
post #27 of 74 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 2:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor1340
I get the feeling I am going to regret asking this question, but what the hell is a squid you are referring, I am sure it is not a big fishy think that tastes great fried with oyster sauce, or is it? You have to make allowances, I am from the UK!
My personal opinion is that it's a poor representation of a 'young sport bike rider probably best expressing themselves by poor riding, to include wheelies, stoppies, etc. etc. and to whatever degree ATGATT or Non-ATGATT.' Stands for

SQUIRRELY KID

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #28 of 74 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 3:15 pm

SQUID

Stupidly Quick Underdressed Imminently Dead
Or
Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Idiotic and Dangerous
Or
Super Quick Until I Die

PYB
Poseur Yuppy Biker
as opposed to
RTB
Rufty Tufty Biker

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #29 of 74 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 3:24 pm

dont do it

you will miss the lt ufter yoy will ride 1500 m i have gt end lt now ufter 4500 km i ride just the lt the best motorcycle un oll world!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	סוסיה5.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	6082   Click image for larger version

Name:	תמונה 026.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	6083   Click image for larger version

Name:	תמונה 045.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	6084   Click image for larger version

Name:	תמונה 052.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	6085   Click image for larger version

Name:	תמונה 053.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	6086  

post #30 of 74 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 3:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmpl
you will miss the lt ufter yoy will ride 1500 m i have gt end lt now ufter 4500 km i ride just the lt the best motorcycle un oll world!!!
About a month ago I did 750 miles in one day (12+hours) out of necessity, not joy. Not sure these old bones could have tolerated anything less than the LT.

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #31 of 74 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 5:50 pm

Quote:
a 'young sport bike rider probably best expressing themselves by poor riding, to include wheelies, stoppies, etc.
And that's the part I just don't get. Last time I checked, it took skill to do a good wheelie and a stoppie.
post #32 of 74 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 10:22 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
It does take skill to do a good wheelie or stoppie. But it merely takes horsepower and/or strong brakes to attempt either. I've seen several poor attempts, often leading to massive bike damage and serious injury.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #33 of 74 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 11:40 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
... The test ride showed me that the LT is still a much better fit for me (of course, it helps that I don't find the low-speed handing or balance to be any problem), and the end-of year incentive put me over the edge.

So, my advice is to not convince yourself that you want a GT until you've ridden one. If it trips your trigger, great! At least you'll know this way whether your buying because it's the "right" bike for you, rather than the bike you were wishing/hoping/praying it would be.
I concur with Mark. I rode the GT and really loved it. I could talk about the GT all day. However, after getting back on Traveller, I was reminded anew (even amazed) of the great level of fit/feel/comfort of the LT. I am still impressed with the engineering that BMW imputed on the LT for high speed handling while caring a large cargo. I now have a greater appreciation for the simple comfort level of my LT. I may one day purchase a GT, but it will be in addition to my LT, not a replacement.
post #34 of 74 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 12:04 am

My two cents...

Let me qualify my remarks... I am an 04' convert to the 05' LT. I loved the look and the handling of the 04' blackie RT. I thought the LT was too big and bulky. On a whim, and after some urging from my brother the Wing Ding rider, I tried the LT. One month later I had one. The RT sat for 5 months under a cover. She did nothing wrong- in fact she never let me down. The LT was simply a better bike for all the stuff it had. Granted, the LT can't handle like an RT.

I'm not sure that the gas mileage can compare (although I am getting over 45 mpg, lately, and I'm over 20k miles). It's just that when you add the creature comforts of the bike, like the large windshield, the invaluable electric center stand, and reverse gear, with the options like J-Pegs, comm system, CB radio- the LT is hard to beat. Sure, I'd like more HP. Who wouldn't. A little more luggage space wouldn't hurt, either. But, what the LT does well overall can't be beat. It is an excellent daily driver as well as sporty tour bike.

Nuff' said!
post #35 of 74 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 12:24 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Interesting comparison. A larger windscreen can be fitted to the GT (as many do with the LT already), 200 lbs lighter means there's no need for electric center stands or revers, the GT has more luggage capacity with the top trunk, and the other options (except J-pegs) can be fitted to the GT as well as the LT.

So I can't see much that the LT can do that the GT can't. Note that I reserve final judgement until I can get a decent test ride with my wife on board and get her opinion.

The bottom line is that we all should just ride what feels best to each of us and no one else can tell you what that may be in your own case.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #36 of 74 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 3:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
The bottom line is that we all should just ride what feels best to each of us and no one else can tell you what that may be in your own case.
Yes, that is truly the bottom line. I've ridden my LT, and a few other LTs, since buying the GT. When I get off and back on the GT my heart says, "Ahh. Now that's more like it!". And I think it's supposed to.

My gosh! At $20K plus for these bikes...you better like what you're riding . . . a LOT!
post #37 of 74 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 3:33 am
IBR# 366

Garage
After a 20-minute ride on a GT, my LT felt like a comfortable old lump. The bars and pegs were right where I expected them, the seat was well worn-in to my shape, and it behaved just as I remembered, albeit I did notice the weight a lot more. But I get that way after riding any bike other than the LT.

I gotta get Dayle on the back of one of these. Just to see how she likes it, you understand.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #38 of 74 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 2:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipenslippers

Brian

Northerner...
post #39 of 74 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 4:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall
Northerner...
So the UK has the north/south thing as well? Didn't know...
post #40 of 74 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 6:29 am

Might be missing something here?

I haven't managed to ride a new GT yet, been on he BMW web site though, is there any sort of radio / cd / ipod available or is it down to an intercom and our own unique ingenuity. I quite like having the stereo blasting through the speakers on the LT though. Like the idea of the GT, lighter, faster nimbler through the twisties etc and similar storage to the LT.
post #41 of 74 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 7:34 am

Quote:

Not just north/south (anything north of Watford is uncivilised and "there be dragons" type of country, but we also have foreign countries - Wales, scotland and ireland. We don't mention the french, we hope they just go away if we ignore them.
post #42 of 74 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 7:42 am

Quote:
I haven't managed to ride a new GT yet, been on he BMW web site though, is there any sort of radio / cd / ipod available or is it down to an intercom and our own unique ingenuity. I quite like having the stereo blasting through the speakers on the LT though. Like the idea of the GT, lighter, faster nimbler through the twisties etc and similar storage to the LT.
The pocket is big enough - its on the right, not the left as the R11xxRt had, but nothing as yet.

As the 07 LT is HID xenon on the 05, and I'm nervous about where BMW is going with the LT anyway (5 cyliners, 6 cylinders, chasing the Goldwing again, rumours of not being imported to the UK), I too am looking at the GT.

My shopping list includes:
Bar Backs
Footpeg lowering
Higher/better screen (hurry up, Aeroflow - what's taking so long)
Hand protection - in the style of the old GT, not handguards

What I don't understand is why the BMW topcase is so naff - its smaller than a Givi E52 Maxia, but heavier, and no brake light. The only advantage over the Maxia appears to be the "one key"

The tank is smaller, but at a real 91, its pushing 48 mg (imperial), compared to my LT 40/41 mpg imperial, which means i comesout with about the same range. Quite how it equates on quieter runs, whre the LT tops the 50 mpg imperial, I don't know, but I was impressed enough to start my research now - and I've got until May 07 to sort out a replacement (two years, unlimited mileage warranty is my restriction)

Niall
post #43 of 74 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 8:03 am

Quote:
Nope, no radio. Different strokes for different folks I guess. On my LT, I hardly ever even let the music play through the speakers. My Intaride RP-1 intercom and my 60GB iPod is ALL that I need. If ya want radio, there's always XM or Sirius.

Besides, BMW and audio electronics just don't seem to get along. In the year 2006, it sure is a mystery why any bike shouldn't have a flawless intercom and stereo, with an iPod port that supports scrolling text. And bike-to-bike. Instead, these things are left to the consumer to hash out. Ridiculous!

Oops! Was that a rant?!
post #44 of 74 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 3:48 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
And remember, their Civil War was a good 200 years before ours. We're just late comers to this whole nation-building, world-domination thing.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #45 of 74 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 3:56 pm

Quote:
And remember, their Civil War was a good 200 years before ours. We're just late comers to this whole nation-building, world-domination thing.
And California was Spanish...
post #46 of 74 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 4:39 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
And California was Spanish...
Still is, mostly.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #47 of 74 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 4:51 pm

Quote:
Still is, mostly.

You mean Oxnard has turned from crap hamburger joints to tapas bars?
post #48 of 74 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 5:32 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
They're spending lots of $$ to revitalize downtown, and most of the farm fields are now housing subdivisions. But there's still a heavily Mexican-centric community vying for space with suburbanites trying to escape L.A.'s excessive housing costs. It's an interesting mix, to be sure.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #49 of 74 Old Sep 4th, 2006, 8:58 am

Quote:
Northerner...
Now, now. Don't start what you can't finish.

Brian
post #50 of 74 Old Sep 4th, 2006, 9:27 am

Quote:
Hi Joe. Yes, we do still have the North/South thing. The North is anywhere in the UK which is not London. People are warm-hearted and friendly, honest and likable. The South is London, full of people who still think they rule a huge empire, and are obsessed with money, posessions and position.

You do get the odd decent southerner, but they usually end up moving North eventually.

Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in