Extra mirrors on a GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 4:56 pm Thread Starter

Question Extra mirrors on a GT

OK, I Know this will sound daft, but I want to put a second set of mirrors on my GT. The problem is that the GT mirrors are fairing mounted and so don't move with the bars. When I approach a junction from say a 30 degree angle I like to just turn the bars a bit and get a good view of the main road. Also when I pull out from the side of the road I can just tweak the bars a bit to give me a better view. I know, use a lifesaver, but sometimes the mirror gives a last last minute view. Any ideas on a nice looking mirror which will fit the bar mounting holes and compliment the looks of the bike?

Cheers, Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 5:32 pm

This must be yet another CGM GT thing?
post #3 of 21 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 5:58 pm

how big do you need

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipenslippers
OK, I Know this will sound daft, but I want to put a second set of mirrors on my GT. The problem is that the GT mirrors are fairing mounted and so don't move with the bars. When I approach a junction from say a 30 degree angle I like to just turn the bars a bit and get a good view of the main road. Also when I pull out from the side of the road I can just tweak the bars a bit to give me a better view. I know, use a lifesaver, but sometimes the mirror gives a last last minute view. Any ideas on a nice looking mirror which will fit the bar mounting holes and compliment the looks of the bike?

Cheers, Brian

You might be able to pick up a couple at a closed down K-Mart store, you know the ones they hang up in the isleway!.

Seriously, find some small convex stick on mirrors and temporarily mount them to the existing mirror bracket. Test it to see if the convex shape gives you the visual angle you need.

Good luck in finding what you want.

post #4 of 21 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 12:42 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
This must be yet another CGM GT thing?
And that must be yet another useless fluff post?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 21 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 12:51 am
IBR# 366

Garage
I believe the new GT is still using the same handlebar switch gear as the LT and the older GT/RS. That means the handlebar mounted mirrors off a K1200RS will fit nicely. You'd have to verify that they don't interfere with the GT's windscreen at full lock, but that may be the simplest, best-looking option.

I prefer the 2002 RS mirrors as they are oval shaped, as opposed to the older round RS mirrors. Part numbers can be found by clicking on the Technical link at the top of any page, then Accessories, then the Part Numbers link, then scroll down a bit. Chicago BMW will mail order these at 20% off list price.

My plan is to use the same RS mirrors that are mounted to my LT, and change the GT's mirror mounts to HID driving light mounts. Keep 'em high and wide.

(See Joe, it is possible to actually answer the question asked rather than just adding another animated gif to the fluff pile.)

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 21 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 2:58 am Thread Starter

GT Mirrors

Thanks for the constructive replies guys.

Joe, I guess this isn't a problem for you seeing that all your roads are straight highways. It was a question about taste and good looks anyway, so what did I expect.

Brian
post #7 of 21 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 7:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I believe the new GT is still using the same handlebar switch gear as the LT and the older GT/RS. That means the handlebar mounted mirrors off a K1200RS will fit nicely.
And this information is...wrong. But you wouldn't know, now would you? Please world traveler, tell us more about the new GT.
post #8 of 21 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 7:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipenslippers
Thanks for the constructive replies guys.

Joe, I guess this isn't a problem for you seeing that all your roads are straight highways. It was a question about taste and good looks anyway, so what did I expect.

Brian
If you should pursue mounting the RS mirrors (man that would look good ), be prepared to drill out the holes on the handlebar mounts a tad. Approx 2 mm, IIRC. This is what I had to do to utilize my Spider Mounts from the LT. YMMV.
post #9 of 21 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 12:55 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Well, since us poor folk don't have 6,000 miles on our brand new GTs, I had to rely on personal observation while at a dealership. Funny, they wouldn't let me take the controls apart to check them against my old, battered, out-of-date LT, nor did they offer up their computer system so I could do a full parts search and comparison.

From my briefly sitting on one GT and going "vroom, vroom", the parts sure looked the same. Since there are no more GTs in dealer stock, I guess I'll just have to take your word for it.

You never said if you thought they mirrors would clear the windscreen at full lock. Maybe you could point them down and back, to monitor the final drive for random fluid loss.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #10 of 21 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 1:51 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Humble Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
If you should pursue mounting the RS mirrors (man that would look good ), be prepared to drill out the holes on the handlebar mounts a tad. Approx 2 mm, IIRC. This is what I had to do to utilize my Spider Mounts from the LT. YMMV.
Thanks Joe. I havent measured the holes yet, but the switchgear does look a bit different than on my old KRS. I was hoping to get ideas which would look ok on the new GT. It,s a good looking bike in any colour, and I certainly don't want to ruin the lines. I think I'll have to cruise some custom websites for something small and sexy (if such a thing is possible). I'll probably end up modifying something.

Brian
post #11 of 21 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 11:23 am

Have you seen the mirrors by Saeng? I don't have a link for you, but they make some nice stuff. Or what about something by Rizoma?

Like these:
post #12 of 21 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 12:55 pm

I have always mounted the KRS mirrors on our RT's, since anything bag lashed on the back generally blocks at least part of the view from the RT mirrors. After a while we got used to having four mirrors and liked it, but that's not the case with the GT.

I love the GT mirrors so much over what I had with the RT that I doubt I will ever put my old KRS mirrors on the GT.

15 R1200RT - Ebony Metallic
09 F800GS
post #13 of 21 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 5:44 pm

Do you have to back off the throttle to see out of the right one?

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #14 of 21 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 6:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoog62
Do you have to back off the throttle to see out of the right one?
Last time I checked, the bar-end doesn't spin with the throttle Dave. But you're a funny man, just the same.
post #15 of 21 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 5:21 pm

mirrors

Are you familiar with Multivex mirrors? Have them on two bikes now. Work great!
post #16 of 21 Old Feb 14th, 2007, 10:31 pm

Test Mounts

I plan to develop a mod kit to allow me to test mount Muth's new Oval Cruiser Mirror, in Black Powdercoat. Yes, to the handlebars.

Can't really evaluate anything in-place until you put it there !

If it doesn't work out, then I will know for sure. I at least will be able to get some inputs, utilize the rear-facing Muth Signal and the forward facing, built-in amber running/signal LED's built into these fine mirrors.

More later on this project...

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #17 of 21 Old Feb 15th, 2007, 1:05 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Sounds interesting, Jim. Keep us informed, and don't forget the pics.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #18 of 21 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 8:48 am

Joe, if you are referring to the 'hole' size I know for a fact that the hole sizes/apertures are actually different on the left and right side. I don't know if this was corrected on the '07's as I can only verify this on the '06's.

Heck, here's an opportunity for the latest and greatest farkle: a REAR VIEW CAMERA and MONITOR

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #19 of 21 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 9:54 am

Hole Sizes

[QUOTE=jpalamaro]Joe, if you are referring to the 'hole' size I know for a fact that the hole sizes/apertures are actually different on the left and right side. I don't know if this was corrected on the '07's as I can only verify this on the '06's.

I will be looking into that this weekend. Hopefully I can get the Muth's mounted for an operational checkout without much difficulty..

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #20 of 21 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 9:58 am

[QUOTE=EzyMount]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
Joe, if you are referring to the 'hole' size I know for a fact that the hole sizes/apertures are actually different on the left and right side. I don't know if this was corrected on the '07's as I can only verify this on the '06's.

I will be looking into that this weekend. Hopefully I can get the Muth's mounted for an operational checkout without much difficulty..
The difference only a few mils but check I know, dealing with LegalSpeeding that he had to change the 'shaft' size to fit the 'smallest'. Which, BTW made the product 'universal', but no noticeable 'wobble' when tightened. My educated guess is that it's the same on the '07!

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #21 of 21 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 11:00 am

Size

Last year I helped ElJeffe install Gadget Mount kits (PanaVise), using the thru holes on his 06. Our tech had to ream one hole out, very slightly with his drill. No big deal. Everything worked out fine after that. I think it was the left side ? It will all come back to me soon !

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in