Das Chinese Metzeler - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 19th, 2015, 12:09 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Das Chinese Metzeler

I recently had a set of Metzeler RoadTec Z6 tires installed on my ’04 K1200GT and noticed the made in logo was “China”. I never thought Germany would stoop as low as the US of A with their standards and reputation as to have this product made in China! I also checked the old tires removed but they were still labeled Germany. So just for the heck of it I took a quick check as to what I’m wearing right now and where it’s made. Starting from head to toe…..Doc prescribed reading glass frames—China, BMW logo t-shirt—Pakistan, Wrangler jeans—Mexico, Milwaukee riding boots—China, Hanes underwear—Vietnam, (probably from recycled tent material we left over there), socks—undetermined. Guess I shouldn’t be that surprised as this seems to be the way of our world today. I just hope we maintain good economic relations with the aforementioned countries or we’re gonna be riding blind and naked on tireless motorcycle rims!! Oh, just checked the BMW parts received for maintenance service on my LT…..valve cover gasket—Hungary, BMW oil filter—Austria. I guess that’s close enough to Deutschland……..

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ
2009 BMW R1200RT Metallic Black
2006 BMW K1200LT/2012 Hannigan Trike Magnesium Black
2004 BMW K1200GT Orient Blue

"Money talks...but all mine ever says is good-bye."

"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts
not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert
the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 19th, 2015, 4:23 pm

Re: Das Chinese Metzeler

So how as it been under that rock? Its a world economy. Been this way for years....Harleys even have Chinese parts.
post #3 of 10 Old May 20th, 2015, 4:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwgt View Post
So how as it been under that rock? Its a world economy. Been this way for years....Harleys even have Chinese parts.
Yes, and now that they're working on their plant in India. It won't be long before they figure out a way to import their bikes from Asia.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old May 20th, 2015, 6:58 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwgt View Post
Kind of enjoy the shade under this rock. I knew corporate profit margins have taken precedence over high quality standards for a long time as we continue to invest in countries abroad. I realize the USA is a lost cause but I needed to declare my dissatisfaction for the lowering of German standards! The thread was intended as idle banter. On another note, I forgot to check my belt, it still says “made in USA”, must have been mislabeled, huh......

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ

post #5 of 10 Old May 21st, 2015, 9:09 am

I know what you mean about that shade. We just do what we can. I try to buy US products and even at home I try to buy at local businesses. Its not easy but we do what we can do. Heck we ride German bikes.
post #6 of 10 Old May 25th, 2015, 12:28 pm

If the factory is German designed and the equipment is German and the procedures are proscribed by the Germans, and the materials are to German specifications, the location and workers make little difference.

I have a pair of Nokian tires on my Multi Trailer and the sidewalls have two statements: Engineered in Finland and Made in PRC. PRC = China

Back in the mid 1990s an Omaha group gave me some money to promise to sell them my farmland if they won the competition to build the Mercedes USA factory in Nebraska. Well, Alabama won that competition and I now own a made in Alabama Mercedes. It's just fine, even with made in Mexico wheels. It's getting a new made in USA shock absorber this week.

In 2006 I toured the Mercedes V engine assembly plant in Unterturkheim. Our tour guide engineer was proud to tell us you couldn't get a made in Germany engine in an Audi. They were currently building the M272 and M273, for which Mercedes is now facing a class action lawsuit in the USA for defective balancer shafts. Mercedes has since stopped building 90-degree V6s.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Last edited by lkchris; May 25th, 2015 at 12:36 pm.
post #7 of 10 Old May 25th, 2015, 8:01 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
If the factory is German designed and the equipment is German and the procedures are proscribed by the Germans, and the materials are to German specifications, the location and workers make little difference.
Provided that is the situation, I often have my doubts if oversight to quality was relaxed that German standards would continue to prevail. We often see inferior or tainted products generated from China. Let me ask this, if identical items, i.e. Metzeler tires, where produced with one labeled "made in Germany" and the other "made in China" and were priced the same, which one would you tend to gravitate and why?

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ

post #8 of 10 Old May 25th, 2015, 9:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebiss9 View Post
Provided that is the situation, I often have my doubts if oversight to quality was relaxed that German standards would continue to prevail. We often see inferior or tainted products generated from China. Let me ask this, if identical items, i.e. Metzeler tires, where produced with one labeled "made in Germany" and the other "made in China" and were priced the same, which one would you tend to gravitate and why?
Why would you think quality oversight was relaxed?

You can count on it that Germans were sent to run the plant. Germans are running the Mercedes plant in Vance and the BMW plant in Spartanburg.

In answer to your question, it would be the tire from China. Same reason for not buying UAW made in USA cars, i.e. the labor cost is artificially high and therefore the material cost/quality and engineering cost/quality have to be lowered to keep the "price the same." It often means lots of marketing to sell 1950s stuff in 2015--see Harley and that boat anchor known as the smallblock. It's a world economy now, and there's no future for production with labor costs significantly higher than anywhere else. We're not talking artists or craftspersons here. The German car companies didn't go bankrupt. UAW members aren't boycotting WalMart. Neither you nor I will eat at McDonalds when their workers make $15/hr.

Yes, freight is a little more significant with cars than it is with tires, but freight from China is likely cheaper, too.

Sorry, but this was political from the first post on.

Sent from my Chinese-made iPhone ... or my Chinese-made desktop. Know how to find either made in Germany or the USA?

This on a forum where Harbor Freight seems better to more posters than Snap-On, Hazet, Stahlwille, etc. Where most are satisfied with DIY work which is almost always more inferior than dealer work (where the training comes from Germany). On and on.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Last edited by lkchris; May 25th, 2015 at 9:53 pm.
post #9 of 10 Old May 26th, 2015, 12:16 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Why would you think quality oversight was relaxed?
Probably because he's owned more than one Beemer . . .

Most of the major issues I've had with various Beemers can be directly traced to poor quality control at BMW subcomponent suppliers. Final drives on several different models and newer switchgear come to mind . . .

Quote:
Sent from my Chinese-made iPhone ...
Having worked in the semiconductor industry for two decades, and working inside several Apple chip supplier fabs, I can tell you that Apple is all over those manufacturing/production supply lines like nobody else before or since. The Chinese have learned a lot about how to do it right the first time, because if one company can't, then there are three more just begging for Apple's multi-billion-dollar business . . .

Yes, it's a global economy, but that doesn't mean that every place is equal in terms of cost or quality, regardless of who's logo is eventually printed on the finished product . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 10 Old May 26th, 2015, 8:44 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese View Post
Probably because he's owned more than one Beemer . . .

Touché

Quote:
Sorry, but this was political from the first post on.

Forgive me if this appears to be a political statement, on my part, as this was not my intent. Even with my previous statements of USA being a “lost cause”, I still believe in American values and ingenuity and wish for this country only to excel as it was when I was growing up. Unfortunately it appears we are not headed in the positive direction. I am pessimistic my children and grandchildren will have the same economic stability as I and my parents once had. Damn me for being a good American and future forefather for this desire. I view Germany as what USA once was but of course my view is from some ingrained heritage, a world away and obviously several years in the past. Please bear in mind this thread was started as pointless chitchat but seems to have evolved into something more! We now return you to our regularly scheduled program that is already in progress……

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ

Last edited by ebiss9; May 26th, 2015 at 10:26 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in