What on-the-road failures can we expect? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 4:18 am Thread Starter

Question What on-the-road failures can we expect?

As a few of us new GT owners are preparing to head out to CCR in less than 2 weeks, my mind begins to wonder about what failures us GT owner's could experience. Mind you, I am not concerned. As an LT owner/rider, I NEVER worried about a rear drive failure, a clutch failure, a linkage failure, etc... I just rode the thing. Yes, ignorance is bliss.

I guess the first item I would put on the list would be the rear drive, as it is not so different from the LT's rear drive. Then again, the newer LT's sure seem to be having more success in this area. And the fact that the GT is well over 200 pounds lighter has to help even more. Time will tell.

So, what else am I forgetting? I think it's fairly safe to scratch the clutch and linkage off this list, as these are totally different than the LT's. And as far as I can tell, are much more reliable from a design viewpoint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 4:56 am
IBR# 366

Garage
I don't think you'd consider this a "failure", but I'd have the radar detector running full blast, just in case.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 11 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 7:33 am

not to ruin your day but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I guess the first item I would put on the list would be the rear drive, as it is not so different from the LT's rear drive. Then again, the newer LT's sure seem to be having more success in this area. And the fact that the GT is well over 200 pounds lighter has to help even more. Time will tell.
Last time I checked final drives were failing on the "Oil Heads" also. They are 200 lbs lighter and 50+ ponies weaker.

Best answer, "Ride the Darn Thing"

Oh and keep the bugs off your teeth and the bears off your butt.

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 9:32 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
Last time I checked final drives were failing on the "Oil Heads" also. They are 200 lbs lighter and 50+ ponies weaker.
But with each new model design, I hold on to the hope that their working on a resolution. Here's to hope!

As far as me "just riding it"...you don't know me very well, do you?
post #5 of 11 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 10:50 am

The trip

Remember things will happen during your trip. Just remember that you are out there having fun and don't let things ruin your trip

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #6 of 11 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 11:18 am
Bouncer

If you're going to worry about stuff like this, you might as well stay home. Just freakin' ride it.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #7 of 11 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 12:18 pm

In order:
1. Failure to keep speed under control!
2. Failure to notice speed trap while suffering from problem one!
3. Failure to stop for fuel, then running out, due to having so much fun!
4. Failure to remove grin, due to failure one without failure two or three!

OH, on the BIKE!

1. Tire puncture
2. Bulb failure (Low beam or tail light most likely

That's about it. Your bike is new enough to not be bothered yet by any switch failures due to grime or fatigue, and has enough run time to likely be well past the likelihood of any electronic failure, the clutch seems robust, the rear drive is likely a somewhat different design from the LT, prior K-bikes (except the S and R) or R-bikes, so hopefully won't have any issues (anyone heard of a rear drive failure in a K1200R or a K1200S?).

I met a K1200R rider over the weekend that managed to bend the torque arm to the rear drive, but I think he was popping wheelies with it. For sure, listening to him brag, he rides it HARD. (He'd already lost his license, but was riding it anyway!)

Have fun. I'd SO much like to join you guys, it's only a few hundred miles up there (day ride up, and a day ride back), but my work schedule is crushing right now

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #8 of 11 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 4:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
If you're going to worry about stuff like this, you might as well stay home. Just freakin' ride it.

But daddy, Joe started it....

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #9 of 11 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 4:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Byte me Bouncer Boy!!!
post #10 of 11 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 6:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
But with each new model design, I hold on to the hope that their working on a resolution. Here's to hope!

As far as me "just riding it"...you don't know me very well, do you?
Ah, the subject of our friendly wager!

The "new style" rear drive has already been failing on the GS so look forward to that.

GSs are also throwing con rods but that's unlikely to be relevant to the GT.

My guess is that if you have a problem, it will be related to electronics. There's a bunch of sensors on that bike and a lot of failure modes that mean tow truck action if one goes south.

Don't get me wrong Joe, I actually still love BMWs. I'm sure there's another one in my future at some point. But as complexity increases, the opportunity for failure increases during the initial teething period. First year BMWs have the toughest challenge in that regard because of the innovation we're all so attracted to.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #11 of 11 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 12:53 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
The "new style" rear drive has already been failing on the GS so look forward to that.
Bummer. I thought these were supposed to be sealed, maintenance-free units. Oh well, back to square one.

And I know what you mean. I love the technology BMW offers, it's their engineering I sometimes have trouble with.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in