06+ GT and MagsBags Journey Bags - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 10:43 am Thread Starter

06+ GT and MagsBags Journey Bags

Hi All,

First, I originally posted this in the luggage etc. forum, but nobody responded, so I thought I might try it here (as I'm looking for some measurements of the passenger seat to see if this will work).....

In my quest to outfit the new GT which I haven't taken ownership of yet (soon, please make it soon!) I was doing some research on addn bags.

I saw a writeup in a recent BMWON mag on the Journey bag and hit their web site.

Does anyone have experience w/ this bag, and if so what?? I'm planning to use it for my camping gear etc. on my ride around the US this September, and it seems like it will work out pretty well, but best to ask.

Also - for any of you lucky current 06+ GT owners can I ask a favor? I've attached a thumbnail from their site of the dimensions of the bag. Anyone feeling generous enough to measure the passenger seat width and distance down from top of seat to side cases to give me their impression of whether this bag will fit well??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JourneyBag.gif
Views:	70
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	5776  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 11:06 am

Based on your measurements, I don't think this bag will work...sorry. I'll be posting pics by the end of next week on my new home-grown seat bag that you might really like.

(I'll send you a PM of the idea.)
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 4:36 pm

This is my favorite bag. Very versatile, 3 different sizes. I love the mounting system because I don't have to remove the mounting system just to remove the bag. Bag expands on each end, 3 access points (top and both sides). Very good quality, very good rain cover. I can mount it on the seat or luggage rack. On the seat I can put another small bag underneath and strap it on with the same mounting system.

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...e-p-16405.html

David
IBA #31697
'02 K1200RS Black "Bling-Bling"
'04 Saab 9-3 Aero SS
'06 Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 4:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPSCOTT
For that kinda money...it better be good. At that point, I'd just opt for BMW's waterproof duffel at about $120.
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 11:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
For that kinda money...it better be good. At that point, I'd just opt for BMW's waterproof duffel at about $120.
Are you referring to the BMW Luggage Roll on the BMW web site, $135 and you still need to buy someway to strap it to the motorcycle?

Also, does the mounting system you will choose for the BMW luggage roll supply a little X thingie to keep the attached straps from falling down onto the pipe or get caught in the wheel or do you just detach the straps each time? I admit the roll has one nice big opening on the top and being waterproof without needing a separate rain cover is nice but I personally like the color on my bag better. Also, I got an Ortlieb waterproof bag for much less but it is not accessible while riding.

I like the Moto Fizz bag because I can vary the size and use it for a day bag after using it to carry much on the way to my destination. Also, I like the fact that I have three entry points, not just one. There is also a pocket on the top opening just right for carrying food items and a flap goes over the tope opening for more security. An attached bungie and two small attached straps for carrying a roll, such as a sleeping bag pad, along with other attaching points adds up to much more versatility for me. Don't forget the "purse" as Jim calls it that can be detached with your valuables and taken with you instead of leaving them on the bike.

I do not own a BMW luggage roll so I can't comment on its versatility or quality of workmanship or value for the money but I do own a Moto Fizz bag (medium) and my opinion is it's well worth the money. But don't take my word for it http://www.aerostich.com/files/reviews/Moto_Fizz/ .

David
IBA #31697
'04 Saab 9-3 Aero SS
post #6 of 7 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 10:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPSCOTT
I like the Moto Fizz bag because I can vary the size and use it for a day bag after using it to carry much on the way to my destination. Also, I like the fact that I have three entry points, not just one. There is also a pocket on the top opening just right for carrying food items and a flap goes over the tope opening for more security. An attached bungie and two small attached straps for carrying a roll, such as a sleeping bag pad, along with other attaching points adds up to much more versatility for me. Don't forget the "purse" as Jim calls it that can be detached with your valuables and taken with you instead of leaving them on the bike.
Hey David,

Thanks for the info. Can you please expound on the expansion capability of the bag - how does it work?

Also - anything else you can add to this would be appreciated (photos?) as I'm trying to get things moving on this quickly.

The price does seem steep but comparison to other things mentioned to me (although less than the MagsBags option), but sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes, unfortunately, you just overpay. Just trying to determine for myself which scenario this falls into.

Thanks,
post #7 of 7 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 8:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkuhno
Hey David,

Thanks for the info. Can you please expound on the expansion capability of the bag - how does it work?

Also - anything else you can add to this would be appreciated (photos?) as I'm trying to get things moving on this quickly.

The price does seem steep but comparison to other things mentioned to me (although less than the MagsBags option), but sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes, unfortunately, you just overpay. Just trying to determine for myself which scenario this falls into.

Thanks,
Be sure to read the article on the link I provided in an earlier post.

To expand the bag you have a zipper which encircles the end, unzip and the bag expands 3.5 inches on each side. To collapse you zip the zipper closed which encircles the end.

Each end also opens by unzipping, this zipper opens 3/4 of the end, leaving the bottom attached. The zipper has two pulls so you can unzip partially down on each side so the side doesn't flop totally open and drop everything.

The biggest surprise to me was the pocket on top of the top opening flap. This is a large pocket with a drawstrig opening. You can put a lot of stuff in this pocket which is technically outside of the bag dimensions. Then the flap with the bungee cord and straps on it covers the pocket as well as the top opening.

There are compression straps on the bag to tighten things if the bag is not stuffed full. Stuffed full and tight seems to be the best for this bag. The straps on the side help to secure the removable pocket but seem to hold up the bag and keep it from sagging is the ends are not supported on a hard bag or seat.

I bought this bag bacause I had been using an Oxford Sport hump seat bag and I did not like having to put the seat on with the bag because the bag had an underseat strap; the Oxford also would sag and the bungees allowed to much lean when the bag had weight in it. The Moto Fizz bag mounts with four straps. There are female clips sewn onto the bag and a nylon loop to feed the male end of the strap through. I find that the loop helps to take stress off of the attachment of the female part to the bag. The male end is attached to a nylon strap with a loop, simply feed the male end through the loop and then feed the male end through the loop on the bag and then clip into the female portion. Position the bag and take out the slack. When you remove the bag use the X female ends supplied to keep the male straps from dangling down into the muffler and/or wheel.

I also bought the Moto Fizz for the three openings and the easy access while stopped. I don't have to loosend or undo the mounting system to the bike to have access to the three points.

There is some rubbery type grip material on the bottom to help keep the bag from sliding around. One of the pockets can hold valuables that you can detach and take with you into a restaurant instead of leaving on the bike.

There are two internal straps for securing items in the bottom of the bag as well as about 6 incles of hard material to help the bag hold it's shape when empty.

I leave the male straps attached to the bike and have found that I can place an Ortlieb waterproof duffle on the seat and then attach the Moto Fizz bag on top of the Ortlieb. Connect the four straps to the Moto Fizz and away we go. You can secure the duffle underneath if you feel the need but once the Moto Fizz is on top and cinched down I don't think the duffle will do anywhere.

Quality of construction and attention to detail is first rate in my opinion. Sometimes you do get what you pay for and I am more than pleased with the price because of all the features I got. I measured the distance (width) of my passenger portion of my seat and bought the medium because the large would would intrude into the riders portion. I've toyed with the idea of getting the small bag for shorter trips or local day trips. The medium bag suits me well because it holds so much for a trip and even though it's large for a day bag it still functions well and I can collapse it down by 7 inches once established at a motel or camp site.

David
IBA #31697
'04 Saab 9-3 Aero SS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in