(Not to beat a dead horse) but looking for Cee Bailey size recommendation - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 12:14 am Thread Starter

(Not to beat a dead horse) but looking for Cee Bailey size recommendation

Hi All,

I had a call yesterday with my dealer that my '07 GT is scheduled to be released from production on 8.15 - so I'm starting to get pretty frothed up!!

Have been lurking for a while - and it seems that most agree that the stock shield should be replaced w/ a Cee Bailey shield ASAP!

I'm planning on taking a ride around the USA for the whole of September (or as shortly after taking delivery and setting things up on the GT as I can), so I'm trying to get everything taken care ahead of time.

My question is this: for those who have experience w/ the GT and Cee Bailey's screens - what would the 'recommended' size be for someone who is 5'7"? I'd like to look over the screen, but also prefer riding w/ my face shield up for some air flow.

I see based on other's experience that there is some confusion over the sizes and that they measure from the stock low shield as the base point (thanks for pointing that out to me Joe) and am now hoping that I can short circuit the size issue completely by learning from the group's experience.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 3:33 pm

I'm 5' 8", 30 inseam, I have the +3 (1.5 inches wider on each side) and +6 (the tallest). I can see over the screen easily in lowest position. You go from there.

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #3 of 13 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 4:25 pm Thread Starter

Cee Bailey size

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
I'm 5' 8", 30 inseam, I have the +3 (1.5 inches wider on each side) and +6 (the tallest). I can see over the screen easily in lowest position. You go from there.
Thanks for the info John.

Out of curiosity, in the downmost position where does the airflow hit?

Also, in the full raised position, do you find yourself looking through the screen, or still over it? What does that position do to airflow??

Thanks (and nice bike!)

post #4 of 13 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 7:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkuhno
Thanks for the info John.

Out of curiosity, in the downmost position where does the airflow hit?

Also, in the full raised position, do you find yourself looking through the screen, or still over it? What does that position do to airflow??

Thanks (and nice bike!)
Full down (but always leave a 1/4 inch or so as I understand those that reach triple digits plus (I don't ) complain that the Cee Bailey screen may flex and mar the tupperware. But, full down, I look over the top and air flow is above my shoulders and head, and I look over the screen except something immediately in front of bike e.g. < 20 feet. Full up you are looking thru the screen and I use only in heavy rain.

Hope that helps.

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #5 of 13 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 7:58 pm

Geez John. I'm 6'3", and though the +6 works for me...I have a hard time seeing how someone 7" shorter than I could like the same shield size. In fact, my next shield will be an inch lower. To each his own...I guess.

Good luck figuring this one out Mike.
post #6 of 13 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 7:59 pm Thread Starter

Talking Cee Bailey Screen

Quote:
Full down (but always leave a 1/4 inch or so as I understand those that reach triple digits plus (I don't ) complain that the Cee Bailey screen may flex and mar the tupperware. But, full down, I look over the top and air flow is above my shoulders and head, and I look over the screen except something immediately in front of bike e.g. < 20 feet. Full up you are looking thru the screen and I use only in heavy rain.

Hope that helps.
Excellent! Thanks a bunch, this helps a lot (and thanks for the tip about fully lowered position)!!
post #7 of 13 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 8:05 pm

Exclamation

Quote:
Excellent! Thanks a bunch, this helps a lot (and thanks for the tip about fully lowered position)!!
Keep in mind that if you go with a +3 width and lower the shield all the way down, that the shield will flex (at highway speeds) and scratch your bike. Don't ask me how I know.
post #8 of 13 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 8:08 pm

I guess you don't read the posts, Joe. Look upward young man.

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #9 of 13 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 8:15 pm

Quote:
I guess you don't read the posts, Joe. Look upward young man.
Each and every one. Care to expound on what exactly you mean?
post #10 of 13 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 8:23 pm Thread Starter

Cee Bailey - scratchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Keep in mind that if you go with a +3 width and lower the shield all the way down, that the shield will flex (at highway speeds) and scratch your bike. Don't ask me how I know.
Hey Joe,

Ugh - how bad, and where/how does it contact that produces scratches.

Hey, you could always call your painter friend (sorry).
post #11 of 13 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 8:46 pm

Quote:

Hope that helps.
Here Joe.

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #12 of 13 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 9:32 pm Thread Starter

Back on topic - anyone else 5'7" (or so) w/ Cee Bailey experience?

OK,

So I'm going to try and get us back to topic to attempt to get more info (sorry guys)....

Anyone else around my height (5'7") w/ experience w/ the Cee Bailey on a GT??

I want to be as sure as possible before placing the order...

Thanks,
post #13 of 13 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 9:33 pm

Quote:
Hey, you could always call your painter friend (sorry).
Just an 1/8" scratch on each side. He has offered to touch-up any scratches for free. But I'm debating whether or not just to stick a little rubber bumper on each side. It's would look factory, if I could find the ones I'm thinking of.

Read all about it in this thread over at K-Bikes.com.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in