GT, FJR, and ST stats . . . interesting - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 2:44 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation GT, FJR, and ST stats . . . interesting

This was posted earlier today on our sister site. I found these stats interesting enough to share over here. No hidden agenda . . . honest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjn
I cut and paste the following info from an old thread I started. It has the info you are looking for.

Just received a copy of the UK bike paper, Motorcycle News - 31 May edition (was posted to me by family in the UK). They have a 3 page spread comparing the GT, FJR and ST1300. I couldn't see any comments posted about it so sorry of this is a repeat.

I won't write the whole thing up but the GT won the comparison with 5 stars. Both the FJR and ST1300 got 4 stars. A few quotes about the GT:

One day all bikes should be made to work like the BMW (referring to ESA).
The best brakes, the best looking and with ESA, its just the best.
The BMW is sharper and smarter than its touring rivals.

They also did some performance measurements.

Top speed:
GT - 157.32 mph
FJR - 152.92 mph
ST - 141.67 mph

1/4 Mile:
GT - 11.21 s
FJR - 11.53 s
ST - 12.22 s

Top Gear Roll On (40-120 mph):
GT - 13.80 s
FJR - 16.60 s
ST - 17.85 s

Brake test (70-0 mph)
GT - 52.19 metres
FJR - 56.38 metres
ST - 54.17 metre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 3:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Just for full disclosure sake, post the prices of the three bikes
Now now David! Do you think for just one second that I would make that comment to you ifn you wuz comparing the GSA to a V-Strom?!

Rumor has it that the GT is just a tad more expensive than the others. But it must just be a rumor. Otherwise my wife woulda made me buy the FJR!
post #3 of 20 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 3:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Just for full disclosure sake, post the prices of the three bikes

OUCH!

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)

post #4 of 20 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 3:11 pm Thread Starter

1/4 miles times

I was extremely surprised to find out that there wasn't a 10-second bike in the lot. Bummer!
post #5 of 20 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 3:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I was extremely surprised to find out that there wasn't a 10-second bike in the lot. Bummer!
Must have something to do with the weight of the rider

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 3:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Ouchie...
post #7 of 20 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 6:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

They lost me at "Best looking"

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #8 of 20 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 6:15 pm

Obviously, BMW is in somebody's pocket over there in jolly ol' England.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #9 of 20 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 7:03 pm

RoadBike Mag Agrees

Just received my new copy of RoadBike magazine. Contains a superlative review of our beloved GT. Summary (and I quote):

"The most expensive sport-touring motorcycle on the market, the GT is unsurpassed in its refinement, quality, and performance."

"Built to travel fast and far, the BMW K1200GT is the most comfortable and sophisticated motorcycle I've ever ridden".

He also showed a great appreciation for the ESA system; didn't seem to think it was a gimmick.....

YMMV
No offense to anyone intended.

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 H-D Dyna-Glide Conv.
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc
post #10 of 20 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 7:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13

there was no BUSA Sport tourer!

but ya know as cheapo as that FJR is you could buy a turbo for it so it could out run the bmw!

Tom

post #11 of 20 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 7:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots

Yea It does! just look for my how to fix a air hawk thread, I let the big guy borrow it!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

He blew it out!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Tom

post #12 of 20 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 9:16 pm
fas

Cool Geeetee

Gentlemen,

Certainly, as an engineer with lots of miles, indeed sneaking up on four decades, on 2 wheelers, I find the GT too good to be true. Those who strive to point out it costs too much have a point. It's like lake front property here in Bay Village. Sitting on my porch looking across the lake at Canada I enjoy watching them prepare to invade the USA. It's worth it to me to be so close to the lake. Ya see what I mean?

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #13 of 20 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 9:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
It's worth it to me to be so close to the lake. Ya see what I mean?
Is there a boat?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #14 of 20 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:03 pm
fas

Wink Canadians will win!

We have the boats. They have the canoes. Last weekend, as my wife and I sat in Queenston Heights Restaurant high on a hill in Niagara Falls, Canada, savoring the Sunday brunch before our blast home on the GT, we were enjoying the view looking down river. We saw the USA side of the river with the yuppie yacht club, maybe 100 boats. The Canadian side was quiet farm land, church spires, and a few small boats. If they do invade, we'll probably not be home so they can take it all quickly!

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #15 of 20 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 7:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
Gentlemen,

Certainly, as an engineer with lots of miles, indeed sneaking up on four decades, on 2 wheelers, I find the GT too good to be true. Those who strive to point out it costs too much have a point. It's like lake front property here in Bay Village. Sitting on my porch looking across the lake at Canada I enjoy watching them prepare to invade the USA. It's worth it to me to be so close to the lake. Ya see what I mean?

what part of Georgia ya live in,

oh wait your one of them traders with that NEW GT! OMGosh! <grin>

Tom

post #16 of 20 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 9:02 am Thread Starter

fas is a fellow Buckeye AND GT-rider. So he's better than you on two counts!
post #17 of 20 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 4:01 pm

Americans tend to have "invade" on their minds lately. Fas, you have to realize that Canada wouldn't invade the US. The obvious question is "why?" As a Canadian, there is absolutely nothing worth invading. Really when you think about it, rationally that is. What do you have that us Canadians would possbily want?

Luckily, I live in Canada, and we too are boaters. We live on the water and have a nice cottage on a northern Ontario Lake. We have a canoe, paddle boat, 14ft Lund, and a boat that you may not be familiar with but we use it often. Our Cobalt 220 is a dream, and it's made in the US. Maybe we will invade you guys now.
post #18 of 20 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 4:13 pm

Health Care, for 1

"The obvious question is "why?" As a Canadian, there is absolutely nothing worth invading. Really when you think about it, rationally that is. What do you have that us Canadians would possbily want?"

The WSJ reported today that the average wait for a Canadian to see their physician under the health care system Canadians have is now at 17.5 weeks. The option to see a doctor sooner (albeit at a higher price) is one thing someone not feeling well might want, regardless of which side of the border one lives on.

YMMV, as undoubtedly will many opinions.

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 H-D Dyna-Glide Conv.
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc
post #19 of 20 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 5:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK100rs
Americans tend to have "invade" on their minds lately. Fas, you have to realize that Canada wouldn't invade the US. The obvious question is "why?" As a Canadian, there is absolutely nothing worth invading. Really when you think about it, rationally that is. What do you have that us Canadians would possbily want?

Luckily, I live in Canada, and we too are boaters. We live on the water and have a nice cottage on a northern Ontario Lake. We have a canoe, paddle boat, 14ft Lund, and a boat that you may not be familiar with but we use it often. Our Cobalt 220 is a dream, and it's made in the US. Maybe we will invade you guys now.
Greg - you and your invasion forces just leave that Cobalt plant in Neodesha, KS alone! They been turning out some fine watercraft since way back when. Took a tour of their facility with Pack St. Clair, the founder, when they could lay up 'maybe' three hulls at a time - I think they were using some of the early generation Sea Ray molds back then, to get started. Now, thirty some years later, their work ethic hasn't changed and they hold a great reputation in the boating industry. Last I looked, they had a great website that mirrored their bidness tradition. Glad you like the 22 footer, Greg. Time to upgrade to one of their yachts, eh??

(Apologies for the off-topic thread hi-jack).
post #20 of 20 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 1:25 pm

Average wait time to see my doctor is 2 days. If I need a doctor then I can go see one in about 15 minutes at one of local clinics, or the hospital which is about a 2hr wait. Of course all of this is free, no charge, nodda, zilch.

The best part, I don't have to wait in line because the patients in front of me are 12 times more likely to be waiting to get the gunshot wound repaired. Actually, our local population of over 250,000 hasn't had a gunshot murder in over 3 years. Neat eh? I just remembered that I forgot to lock my front door at home when I left for lunch. Imagine that!

My Cobalt is an awesome boat, and 22 feet is just perfect for our family. It's made in the US, and that's great we should take over that plant and name it something Canadian.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in