GT and weather - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 9:23 pm Thread Starter

GT and weather

So, how does the GT handle in rain? Howz bout protection? Do you get slobbery wet?

Wind? Hellacious from the side, pass an 18 wheeler on fear of your life type wind. How bout the hands? Do they take a direct hit? (thinking about winter when it gets below 80)

Can you get on one and ride after using a jack hammer all day?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 9:26 pm
Bouncer

Not as great as the LT. But still very good in the rain.

Wind, particularly turbulence around a truck can get interesting with the full bags and topcase.

I never took a direct hit on the hands, and with the automatic heated grips (which measure ambient temp and warm accordingly) work great. High is high, but what was the low setting is now the automatic setting.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #3 of 23 Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 9:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
So, how does the GT handle in rain? Howz bout protection? Do you get slobbery wet?

Wind? Hellacious from the side, pass an 18 wheeler on fear of your life type wind. How bout the hands? Do they take a direct hit? (thinking about winter when it gets below 80)

Did I hear you had some papers to sign at Lone Star Friday?? Before or after the Tilted Kilt??

post #4 of 23 Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:09 pm

After riding through serious rain on 3 separate occassions, I have determined that the GT is just as good as the LT, with two exceptions. Your feet, and your hands. I always wear waterproof boots and carry waterproof gloves on hand, so that's not an issue for me.
post #5 of 23 Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:48 pm
fas

Cool Gt Vs Lt

With limited GT experience so far [two round trips from Cleveland to Pittsburgh, PA, then Niagara Falls Canada, and back home], I can report the GT slices thru high speed winds better than our LT did. SO and I also have the large case back there. I love being able to take the cases in to the hotel. SO vastly prefers the GT seating, better for her little hips [5' 2", 110#]. I have not hit heavy rain yet, so I can't say. The light rain we hit in Canada was no difference that I could detect. It was so darn hot I was hoping it would rain! Although some may not like the GT design aesthetic visually, I now believe it is better at high speed stability from an aerodynamic POV. I would love to see wind tunnel drag coefficient data and I know BMW has that data. But, we will NEVER see it. That spinnaker thing with the big barco-lounger LT in cross winds on a trip we made last summer to Toledo with storm wind hitting at a 45 degree cross wind was dreadful. Coming back from Niagara we ran right into the face of oncoming thunderclouds. The GT is my favorite, having ridden the LT for four seasons. How much of my preference is the suspension setting capabilities of the new GT VS the aero issues I can not sort out. Interestingly, SO reported [with no questioning from me] that she prefers "the ride of GT." She calls it less buffeting. Just brought home the BMW GT tank bag today. I must say I am very impressed with the design fit and finish.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #6 of 23 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 12:23 am

I hit some heavy rain at the MOA. One thing I noticed was with the stock screen was my arms were wet. Not sure if the Cee Bailey +3 plus +3 would help but it sounds like it wouild.

Oh just another reason to spend more money on the new bike. The way I'm spending money on this thing it sure feels like I own a Harley again. That is until I ride it and my Harley memories or just that memories.

John
aka MassGT
post #7 of 23 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 3:00 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:

Don't let Barbara hear you talk like that. After all you've been through together.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 23 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 6:43 am Thread Starter

Well Ken, I'm afraid it's true. The old girl and I are prolly gonna part ways. I've never kept a bike this long before and don't have time or the inclination for two. Sandar the mag just isn't turned on anymore by riding cross country in the hot, cold, wet, dry, etc. so I said to meself, "Self".

The sad thang is the wait till October. Talk about driving you nutz. Of course, that long of a time period, I could change my mind. Or maybe not. Or maybe I will. Or won't

I'm thinking about doing a buy the farkles, get the bike free thang. About two pages of farkles. About the only way to turn a bike with that many smiles on it.

Yeppir Dick, going before lunch. Gonna meet the Swanzy there.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 23 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 2:16 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I understand, Grif. I'm in the same situation with my LT, and vacillating as well. It's time for an upgrade, but do I get a GT now, or wait for the '07 with the improvements (having the non-power brakes may be worth waiting for), or will we be seeing hard evidence of the next LT by then? Too many choices, and I could write dozens of threads agonizing over my decisions, but I wouldn't want to annoy others like that.

I'm sure Barbara will be missed and thought of fondly in the years to come, but then again I could say the same about many of the bikes I've owned and ridden over the years.

I just wish Ed, or maybe Pep were still around to show us what a GT can really do.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 23 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 2:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
IToo many choices, and I could write dozens of threads agonizing over my decisions, but I wouldn't want to annoy others like that.
dozens.......

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #11 of 23 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 4:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoog62
dozens.......
Thousands! Don't think I haven't agonized over it myself. Then, there was the leetle question of asking the boss. She didn't even blink an eye, and when she heard October, was thrilled as Halloween is my bday and one that ends in 0.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #12 of 23 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 4:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
but do I get a GT now, or wait for the '07 with the improvements (having the non-power brakes may be worth waiting for), or will we be seeing hard evidence of the next LT by then?

I just wish Ed, or maybe Pep were still around to show us what a GT can really do.
Hey Ken, from what I hear, the October delivery is the 07. I don't think you could buy a new 06 anymore.

I've also talked to Robert, one of the owners at Lone Star. He's real sceptical of a major overhaul on the LT. Seems the demographic shrinks every year. I dunno.

Pep's a wimp. He doesn't like to ride in dirt and gravel on the LT

-=grif=-

Grok
post #13 of 23 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 4:59 pm

I've had a couple stints in the rain, one was a real frog stangler/thunderstorm with cross winds. I was very happy, just like messenger said feet aren't as well protected, I was wearing a one piece stitch and gortex boots and never had a problem. I almost liked it better in the rain than the RT.

15 R1200RT - Ebony Metallic
09 F800GS
post #14 of 23 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 9:04 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I believe October for the '07 GTs, but Jeff mentioned a January delivery for the GTs equipped with ASC. I think that may be worth waiting a couple of months for. Our year-round riding season means such things make little difference overall.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #15 of 23 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 9:05 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
The LT doesn't have great foot protection either. At least that's been my experience on those long, cold night rides.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #16 of 23 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I believe October for the '07 GTs, but Jeff mentioned a January delivery for the GTs equipped with ASC. I think that may be worth waiting a couple of months for. Our year-round riding season means such things make little difference overall.
A real man doesn't need ASC. The next thang you'll be touting is ABS

Oh yeah, I'm already having to wait till October. It would smoothe kill me going into January.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #17 of 23 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 4:11 am

Quote:
The LT doesn't have great foot protection either. At least that's been my experience on those long, cold night rides.
Well then, the GT has less than that.

Personally, it sounds to me like Grif is a goner. What color you getting Grif?
post #18 of 23 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 8:10 am Thread Starter

Dark graphite metallic.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #19 of 23 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 9:26 am

Thumbs up

Quote:
Dark graphite metallic.
Nice. My second choice. That "other color" wasn't even an option.
post #20 of 23 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 3:07 pm

Quote:

it sucks in the winter time so you will need to bring here and leave it for my trips down to florida, ya know to keep it warm or it wil freeze solid and you never be able to ride it again which premantly ruins your warranty

SERIOUSLY!

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #21 of 23 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 3:13 pm

Quote:

i always said my wifes rt has better protection than my Lt , I'm glad to see one other lt riders agfrees the lt isn;t the best for protection

the RT seriously does..

Tom

Tom

post #22 of 23 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 6:50 pm Thread Starter

What is this winter of which you spake?

Got a production date today! The week of September 11th.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #23 of 23 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 7:45 pm

Quote:
What is this winter of which you spake?

Got a production date today! The week of September 11th.

hmm sept 11 huh,

see it will be getting cooler than,. that bike needs nice warm weather riding down the beach checking out the babes in bikinis! i cam arrange that for you <grin>

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in