Never Mind FJR vs GT, How Would You Like - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 10:45 pm Thread Starter

Cool Never Mind FJR vs GT, How Would You Like

to be one of the Harley faithful, be sitting in your house with a $24,000+, 3 week old Ultra Classic, only to find out that your dealer never told you that the 2007s were going to have a new "Revolution" engine @96 versus 88 cu. in., a 6 versus 5 speed transmission, and over 100 improvements including a significant bump in HP and Torque? On second thought, I suppose the bright side is that most of these guys (I used to be one, mind you, but then the drugs wore off) can't convert cu. in. to cc, so they'll never know that HD has just been able to replicate the engine on a five year old Kaw Nomad (displacement-wise).

What brought this on was standing in my old HD dealer this afternoon, watching and listening to some of these tormented souls trying to work an exchange. So sad.

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 H-D Dyna-Glide Conv.
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 4:40 am

They keep improving them, and I just might become a buyer yet.
post #3 of 32 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 8:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
They need to put the VRod motor in a touring frame with REAL ABS.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 32 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 8:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
water cooled is coming to HD, no one is saying if it will be the V-rod engine

they are having issues with the ABS

they need to get rid of the rubber mounted swingarms to make that bike stable, that is the reason I went to BMW my '01 was thee most unstable Mc Ihave ever rode at 80 MPH. Had I not bought that bike, and kept riding my 4 speed frame bike, I would still be riding a Harley today.
WHAT a stupid thing to do was to reverse the fork trees derake them to 26 degrees on a rubber mounted swingarm setup!
STUPID!

Tom

TOm (who has owned hd's for a whole long time)

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #5 of 32 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 9:15 am

Trading Talk for performance

What they fail to tell them is that the sixth gear is so tall as to be an over drive, almost useless in everyday application for a HD rider.
It is not like a six speed from Baker engineering that has the gear ratios closer together. Thus enabling the ridier to keep the rev's up and give the machine some performance.
Just another item (extention for short members??) that they can say their bikes has, but will never use.
JMNSHO
Rock
post #6 of 32 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 10:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringProf
to be one of the Harley faithful, be sitting in your house with a $24,000+, 3 week old Ultra Classic, only to find out that your dealer never told you that the 2007s were going to have a new "Revolution" engine @96 versus 88 cu. in., a 6 versus 5 speed transmission, and over 100 improvements including a significant bump in HP and Torque?

What brought this on was standing in my old HD dealer this afternoon, watching and listening to some of these tormented souls trying to work an exchange. So sad.
Yeah, BMW would never do that to their faithful constituency, oh wait, wonder how all the KS and GT owners feel with their bikes now completely outclassed with the new generation. Not my words, but the dealers. An 04 GT with less than 5K sitting on the floor for less than $10K and the dealer is telling everyone who walks by that the new GT so far outclasses the prior model that it isn't even a fair comparison at twice the money. I don't believe the rhetoric, but if you wanted to trade up on the GT even if you just brought the prior year model, you'd lose your shirt.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #7 of 32 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 10:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Whoa! Now you're reading my mind Grif!
post #8 of 32 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 1:45 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Sorry Joel, I don't have a lot of sympathy for such things. We've known BMW has been upgrading their entire line for years, and have all seen what's coming. All the R bikes are now on the 1200 engine, the F bikes are being upgraded to the 800 engine, and the K bike upgrades are nearly completed as well.

So saying "I bought an '06 LT, and now the '07 is much better" is like complaining that the sun just keeps rising. Duh. We all know the new slant 4 engine will end up in the LT, so anyone buying an '06 is trading having an excellent bike right now for what may come down the line in a year or so.

You can't expect to have a bike sit in the garage for two years with barely 5K miles and keep it's original value. If you must have the latest and greatest, then you'll pay a premium for it. Otherwise, learn to shop well. Find an overstock of last year's model at a substantial discount. Get in on the end-of-year sales and discounts. Or buy a 1-year old bike with under 10K miles and let someone else take the initial depreciation hit.

But then again, a bike is a necessity for me. It's not a toy, and certainly not an investment. Whatever I end up getting when I sell my '02 is bonus money, as I've already gotten much more use out of it than I spent for it. And no, I didn't pay anywhere near retail for my '02, nor for my '99, either.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 32 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 3:46 pm

All good points, Ken. I'm glad the manufacturers try to improve their bikes, and certainly no major manufacturer needs more improvement than HD in their line-up. I like buying used BMWs that stand the test of time, so the constant renewal and changing really works for me from an economic perspective.

Being fairly new to the BMW fold, I guess more than anything I'm shocked at the complete disavowal of the previous generation of the GT and KRS. If they were such terrible bikes, why did BMW sell them? Just an opinion that isn't widely shared, I understand that.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #10 of 32 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 7:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel_rider
All good points, Ken. I'm glad the manufacturers try to improve their bikes, and certainly no major manufacturer needs more improvement than HD in their line-up. I like buying used BMWs that stand the test of time, so the constant renewal and changing really works for me from an economic perspective.

Being fairly new to the BMW fold, I guess more than anything I'm shocked at the complete disavowal of the previous generation of the GT and KRS. If they were such terrible bikes, why did BMW sell them? Just an opinion that isn't widely shared, I understand that.
+1 with Meese's comments. Couple of other points to consider.

I'm pretty well subscribed to most of the major mags and boards across manufacturers/models, and I heard nothing about HD going to a 96 CI engine mated to a 6 speed transmission (whether any Harley owner - like myself - will ever use it). Secondly, I saw pics and stories on the new GT coming months before I put a deposit down on it. I was in Rocky Mtn HD 4 weeks ago, and Ron (the sales manager) was encouraging me to buy a 06 Ultra, w/out a single word about what was coming. At my BMW dealer (Foothills), when I commented that (when I didn't take the S I ordered because it was too uncomfortable, at no financial penalty) what I really wanted was an RT with the S engine, Harold, my sales guy, immediately filled me in on the upcoming GT. He didn't try to convince me that I would learn to love the RT and push me to buy it. Finally, going from the Twin Cam 88 to the new 96, and a 5 speed transmission to a 6 speed transmission, IMHO only, is not 'an improvement'. Even Harley is referring to the new engine as a 'Revolution' vs an 'Evolution III' (e.g.). The guys who were berserk about being kept in the dark, completely, about what was coming out for '07 in my HD dealership would support this premise. To most/many HD owners, this is equivalent to differences between Knuckleheads / Panheads / Original Evos.

And I have still purchased my last HD. The myth fog has lisfted, the drugs have worn off.

HD: A machine best used for the generation of noise without the pesky side effect of horsepower; chrome don't get ya home.

YMMV.

The Touring Professor

2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc
post #11 of 32 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 7:33 pm Thread Starter

Clarification

Quote:
I did not intend to use the term 'improvement'. My apologies. I used this statement because it was the statement used by the sales manager at the HD dealership, while trying not to discuss why he was pushing me to buy an '06 a month ago.

I've seen the 07's. While all progress requires change, all change is not progress...... ;-)

YMMV

The Touring Professor

2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc

Last edited by TouringProf; Jul 29th, 2006 at 7:36 pm. Reason: Clarification
post #12 of 32 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 9:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel_rider
The older RS was a FINE machine in it's time (1998-ish). If I were a rich man, I would own one today. The GT was just a stop-gap measure for BMW. It was never really a great sport-tourer. Anyone who thinks that, or is still saying that is just fooling themselves.
post #13 of 32 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 8:48 pm
fas

Cool GT/Canada/44.3 MPG/522 miles

While we discuss model evolution and folks finding their purchase suddenly not so wonderful, I thought you might like to know SO and I jumped on the GT Friday afternoon and ran to Niagara Falls. We clocked 522 miles, averaged 44.3 MPG, and got passed twice. Once by an officer in a lovely Crown Victoria and once by a HOG who got pulled over because he was not paying attention to the road ahead. As you might guess, I was really lucky, slid by a few radar teams, and had a great weekend. For those LT owners, SO reports her range is FAR better with the GT. It's that spread of the legs thing on the new GT VS our 2002 LT. It is much better for my 5' 2" redhead on the new Grey Goose. Personally, I am profoundly in love with the power band, the six speed, and the amazing suspension. The ride quality is impossible for me to describe. I sat on the driveway Friday afternoon and dialed in SO + luggage, and COMFORT. We ran WFO. Just to give you an idea, we started the Sunday brunch at 11:00 AM in Canada and got home to Bay Village, Ohio, at 4:30 PM. Unbelievable, even to me. My pal at HD, who raced the C5 Corvettes before he got recruited to HD as Chief Chassis Engineer, told me to forget about HD and get the GT. He said he knows how I am. I can not begin to tell you how impressed I am with this new GT.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #14 of 32 Old Aug 5th, 2006, 6:42 pm

"Revolution" - no....

The TwinCam 96 is NOT the "Revolution" motor.

The Revolution motor is what powers the V-Rod. It is a liquid-cooled motor that needs RPM to perform. It will NOT see the light of day in a Big Twin chassis. Why? No low-rpm, "lump-lump" torque, and the Big Twin line lives and dies by torque.

That being said, I rode an '07 Ultra today with the TwinCam 96 and the 6-speed. Compared to my '05 Ultra with the stone stock TwinCam 88 and 5-speed, it does seem to have more power. This could be due to the new gear ratios keeping the motor in it's powerband. The 6th gear is being sold as an overdrive - not another forward gear. At 80mph, 6th turns about 2800 RPM, and pulls as well as my 5th gear does at 70 (about the same RPM).

They are improvements, no doubt. But I agree that HD kinda "sprung" it on people, and all of a sudden, my TwinCam 88 just became *way* less desirable for the sales market. Sigh.

I rode the Buell Ulysses as well, an XB12 "Lightning Long", and the XB12R "Firebolt". The first two were fun; the Firebolt was more uncomfortable than a YZF-R1. They *all* put out a pile of heat on your right foot - more than an FJR1300 - enough that I was holding my foot in the wind on the straights to keep it cool!

The moral of my story: Today my '05 Ultra is up for sale (the Sturgis Rally starts tomorrow!!), as I have decided that I *must* have a K1200GT. That, or an R1200RT.
post #15 of 32 Old Aug 5th, 2006, 8:05 pm

Quote:
To most/many HD owners, this is equivalent to differences between Knuckleheads / Panheads / Original Evos.

And I have still purchased my last HD. The myth fog has lisfted, the drugs have worn off.

HD: A machine best used for the generation of noise without the pesky side effect of horsepower; chrome don't get ya home.

YMMV.
Most HD rider's don't have a clue could care less about performance. They are looking for something/somewhere to belong and HD& Wille G have served it up to them.
They would like to be bad every other weekend (weather permitting of course) then go back to that drone exsistance they live, paying 24.9% for the image.
American freedom machine, made in China.
Rock
post #16 of 32 Old Aug 5th, 2006, 9:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SturgisNative
That being said, I rode an '07 Ultra today with the TwinCam 96 and the 6-speed. Compared to my '05 Ultra with the stone stock TwinCam 88 and 5-speed, it does seem to have more power. This could be due to the new gear ratios keeping the motor in it's powerband. The 6th gear is being sold as an overdrive - not another forward gear. At 80mph, 6th turns about 2800 RPM, and pulls as well as my 5th gear does at 70 (about the same RPM).

They are improvements, no doubt. But I agree that HD kinda "sprung" it on people, and all of a sudden, my TwinCam 88 just became *way* less desirable for the sales market. Sigh.
I know of two people already with the '07s and have had the new 6 speed(for HD) tranny fail already one was one day old tnne toher was it;s second day after the dealer telling them to put heavier tranny lube in it......

you would think as long as 6 speeds have been out in the aftermarlket world and working perfectly Harley could have got it right
<g>

Tom

post #17 of 32 Old Aug 5th, 2006, 9:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
The TwinCam 96 is NOT the "Revolution" motor.

The Revolution motor is what powers the V-Rod. It is a liquid-cooled motor that needs RPM to perform. It will NOT see the light of day in a Big Twin chassis. Why? No low-rpm, "lump-lump" torque, and the Big Twin line lives and dies by torque.

I rode the Buell Ulysses as well, an XB12 "Lightning Long", and the XB12R "Firebolt". The first two were fun; the Firebolt was more uncomfortable than a YZF-R1. They *all* put out a pile of heat on your right foot - more than an FJR1300 - enough that I was holding my foot in the wind on the straights to keep it cool!

The moral of my story: Today my '05 Ultra is up for sale (the Sturgis Rally starts tomorrow!!), as I have decided that I *must* have a K1200GT. That, or an R1200RT.
You are correct; HD does indeed refer to the VRod engine as the 'Revolution' motor; thanks to Porsche.

"Revolutionary" was what my sales mananger at my old dealership called it. A visit to the HD home page will reveal that HD does NOT consider the engine an 'improvement'; identifying it (and I quote), as "a completely new engine".

Check the specs on the HD page, and compare the torque to the values reported for the 06 Ultra in any publication you trust; that goes for HP as well. The 07 seemes to have more power because it does.

"But I agree that HD kinda "sprung" it on people, and all of a sudden, my TwinCam 88 just became *way* less desirable for the sales market. Sigh. "

Exactly the point of my post. Not one month before the intro of the 96 mated to the 6 speed, my dealer, where I had purchased 3 bikes previously plus $1,000s in apparel was pushing me to buy an 06 Ultra "before it's too late and there are none left". Bet there's a lot available now. You and thousands of others now have your bike on the block, potentially flooding the market with more used HDs that during the Anniversary model craze.

Bottom line for me: we BMW owners like to complain a lot about BMW's treatment of us and some of our problems; but, in MHO, they never pulled anything like this on us. Check out the HD home page. They are NOT touting this as an evolutionary improvement. They are presenting the 07s as the new HD - rendering what came before as old and undesireable. And, there was NO warning - as you admit.

Finally (really - excuse the rant), I agree completely with Rock's comments. But being willing to eat the dung doesn't excuse those happily feeding it to you.

YMMV
IMHO

The Touring Professor

2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc
post #18 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 12:47 pm

Quote:
Finally (really - excuse the rant), I agree completely with Rock's comments. But being willing to eat the dung doesn't excuse those happily feeding it to you.
No worries, and no offense taken. You're absolutely right on several points, and I'm less than thrilled about the way HD presented this. For the TwinCam 88 owners, now we're being told "trade now before the market is glutted with used TC88's"... b*st*rds. Now my trade value towards the K1200GT is less! However, I can't completely cry sour grapes; I was hedging a bet that my HD would hold value so I would be able to trade for nearly what I paid for it - after all, it's been that way for years around here (Sturgis, SD). Even when the other bike markets fall apart, this is definitely the "Heart of V-Twin Country."

Harley-Davidson is one of the world's best marketers. They'll spin this somehow for more people to buy into the "Harley Lifestyle", and keep themselves on top. They don't seem to care anymore about the older bikes - crap, my dealer won't hardly touch my buddy's Evo anymore!

Of course, I'm just looking to get into the "BMW lifestyle" now - - I've got my Aerostitch and matching helmet already picked out.
post #19 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 3:54 pm

The '07 Screamin' Eagle whatever Glide is 6 speed and 110 cu in. How about that!

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #20 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 5:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
The '07 Screamin' Eagle whatever Glide is 6 speed and 110 cu in. How about that!
It's also nearly $40,000 and still doesn't have the same oomph as a 600cc sport bike.

They're cool, alright - but not $40k cool. For me, anyway.
post #21 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 6:43 pm

The first motorcycle I ever owned was in 2003...white ghost flames Road King with enough chrome to indeed get me home. I could have started polishing it on Sunday evening for next Saturday's ride, and then start all over again.

And while it was a fun bike, after 6 or so months converted to BMW and have not looked back.

Hmmmmm '07, 110 cu in, nah!

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #22 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 6:49 pm

Quote:
The first motorcycle I ever owned was in 2003...
I didn't think I knew anyone who started riding such a short time ago.

Last edited by messenger13; Aug 6th, 2006 at 6:55 pm.
post #23 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 7:00 pm

Quote:
I did not intend to use the term 'improvement'. My apologies. I used this statement because it was the statement used by the sales manager at the HD dealership, while trying not to discuss why he was pushing me to buy an '06 a month ago.

I've seen the 07's. While all progress requires change, all change is not progress...... ;-)

YMMV
If the 6 speed trans is the same as the Dyna line it will be a maintenance nightmare. Word has it the trans bushing service interval is every 20 k. That means pull the trans and tear down, No thanks!!

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #24 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 7:42 pm

Quote:
I didn't think I knew anyone who started riding such a short time ago.
It used to be in my profile . . . may be in the K-Bikes profile. A late bloomer . . . children all out, married, 11 grandchildren, why not. Can't live forever and can't take it with you. At 65 (66 not too far away) having a blast with my three bikes . . . heck, maybe four soon . . . love the R1200S!

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #25 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 9:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
No worries, and no offense taken. You're absolutely right on several points, and I'm less than thrilled about the way HD presented this. For the TwinCam 88 owners, now we're being told "trade now before the market is glutted with used TC88's"... b*st*rds. Now my trade value towards the K1200GT is less! However, I can't completely cry sour grapes; I was hedging a bet that my HD would hold value so I would be able to trade for nearly what I paid for it - after all, it's been that way for years around here (Sturgis, SD). Even when the other bike markets fall apart, this is definitely the "Heart of V-Twin Country."

Harley-Davidson is one of the world's best marketers. They'll spin this somehow for more people to buy into the "Harley Lifestyle", and keep themselves on top. They don't seem to care anymore about the older bikes - crap, my dealer won't hardly touch my buddy's Evo anymore!

Of course, I'm just looking to get into the "BMW lifestyle" now - - I've got my Aerostitch and matching helmet already picked out.
By the way, I hope you've noticed that I am a Twin Cam 88 owner as well.

A few years ago, I went to my local HD dealer and asked about getting a Fat Boy, and trading in my 99 tricked out, clean, Dyna Gilide. He indicated that I could give him $12,000, the Dyna, and he'd give me a Fat Boy (65 HP). I stopped off at my local Honda Dealer, who wanted $9,500 for a new VTX 1800 Retro. After I added every Honda option I wanted (bags, shield, luggage rack, highway bars & pegs, etc.), I was into the dealer for just under $12,000 - and got to keep the Harley) - which I then gave to my girlfriend, who needed a lightweight V-Twin to ride with me on our weekend jaunts. Like I said in a previous posting - the drugs wore off.

99 clean Dyna + 12,000 = Fat Boy
11,500 = Honda 1800 R with 50% more power & torque and higher reliability + =/> quality = priceless.

YMMV; no offense to anyone intended.

"90% of all HDs ever built are still on the road; the other 10% got home."

The Touring Professor

2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc
post #26 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 10:40 pm

Quote:
By the way, I hope you've noticed that I am a Twin Cam 88 owner as well.

A few years ago, I went to my local HD dealer and asked about getting a Fat Boy, and trading in my 99 tricked out, clean, Dyna Gilide. He indicated that I could give him $12,000, the Dyna, and he'd give me a Fat Boy (65 HP).
Thanks for the tip on the TC88 ownership; I'll admit to skimming the signature block on most forums and just hit the 'meat', as it were.

Re: the 12K + Dyna - as Bugs Bunny would say, "Re-dick-a-luss, ain't it?" I was told that my Ultra + $7K would net me a new Ultra. - with NONE of the accessories I've added to my '05.

Or I could just sit on my $7K and wait for the right R1150RT to hit the used market.

Or I could take my $7K and trade up to a new K1200GT.

Thanks for the good info. It's been a great forum so far!
post #27 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 11:24 pm

I am loving my BANISHMENT from HD!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #28 of 32 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 8:14 am

Quote:
wait till they fix the tranny's before you buy one John, I know how you are a sucker for the new toys <grin>

in fact I would wait and see what the next "improovment" will be.

possibly a water cooled bagger in the near future?

Tom

Tom

post #29 of 32 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 8:17 am

Quote:
It's also nearly $40,000 and still doesn't have the same oomph as a 600cc sport bike.

They're cool, alright - but not $40k cool. For me, anyway.

you havn't rode a 110" V-Twin, there is nothing like the feel of a long stroke big bore HD, when they go to 4.5" or longer stroke from the factory is when they will set some ground shaking precedence

Physically GROUND shaking!

Tom

post #30 of 32 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 1:23 pm

I had an 05 Ultra with the 95" Stage 2 kit. While it had decent power, it is nothing like my LT. Something not mentioned here is the amount of heat the bigger displacement v-twins put out. My Ultra would roast your right thigh(and other more tender parts) if you sat still for more than 10 seconds. My buddy who bought it from me called me last Sat. to say he got stuck in traffic in KC when it was 105. He couldn't believe the heat that thing put out. I told him I got stuck in Denver on 6th Ave for 30 minutes, no heat problems but the LT sure does get heavy moving at only 3-5 mph.

"Lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been." Jerry Garcia
post #31 of 32 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 2:17 pm

My Wide Glide topped the charts at 101HP/103TQ when all was told (close to 30K invested...what a fool I was). It really had some stump pulling power, but just plain sucked on the highway. A great bar/city cruiser noisy as hell and looked great. After getting my mind right, the BMW called to me, and I havent looked back. In fact my 2005 Electra Glide Classic hasnt seen mile 1 since the BMW came to roost. (The EGC can be found in the Classifieds!!!)

F
post #32 of 32 Old Feb 21st, 2007, 3:56 pm

All manufacturers do it , including BMW .

As the owner of a 95 " CVO wide glide , it doesn't bother me a bit.
I'm pulling 98hp and 101 lbs ft at the rear wheel. I've riden the new bikes , they are OK but still need engine work to be acceptable .

The 6 speed is nice , except for the 5th gear whine , the rear cylinder gets way too hot due to the EPA lean EFI and even the 110's don't have the hp or torque of my 95" Stage IV carbed bike.

08 will be worse as the new round of EPA regs come on. That's why I'm looking at a K1200GT instead of a Electra Glide , while BMW's are a bit anemic in the torque dept, they compensate with very good HP , build quality and handling.

I've owned 2 HD's and a BMW so I'm not biased either way , both have thier ups and downs. If HD gets around to building a V-Rod based touring bike with say a 1500+ motor , then perhaps we will have a winner.

Last edited by nidan; Feb 21st, 2007 at 4:03 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in