Recall on Switch Gear - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 17th, 2015, 6:40 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Recall on Switch Gear

I just had the switch gear ordered for both sides of my 2009 GT. Not sure just what prompted the recall but BMW is replacing both sides on 2009 and up. I am happy as mine were seriously faded. Did not get the number off the recall but had seen it posted on iBMW site and I went to the dealer today and the service manager was right on top of it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 21st, 2015, 7:19 am

Re: Recall on Switch Gear

I had my left switch replaced last fall for free, it's a very expensive part.

1986 Yamaha FJ600
2002 Honda VTX 1800C
2006 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 28th, 2015, 3:25 pm

Only on 2009 on up? The alpha tester 2006 isn't part of it???....hard to imagine they engineered something right on the '06.

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 28th, 2015, 4:11 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwgt View Post
Only on 2009 on up? The alpha tester 2006 isn't part of it???....hard to imagine they engineered something right on the '06.
Completely different switch internals on the '06-'08 bikes and the '09 and up bikes.

This replacement program covers most all of BMW's bikes post 2009 (RT, GS, GTL, etc.).

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 11 Old Jan 29th, 2015, 7:33 pm

Just had mine replaced on recall on my K13S. All '09 and up. It's not how they were engineered it's their parts supplier, which is usually the case. My orig mirror had a crack and when ordered replacement 4 replacements came in with same exact crack. Fixed when they changed supplier.

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R

2000 R1100RT.
post #6 of 11 Old Jan 29th, 2015, 8:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinPhil View Post
...It's not how they were engineered it's their parts supplier...
My understanding is different, and I believe this is an engineering issue.

The first switches had all of the wiring printed on the switch body. The switch body was essentially a printed circuit board with traces running from the switches to the switch connector. These switches failed and there was a NHTSA recall on the K bikes.

The issue was believed to be with the supplier, so a new supplier was contracted.

The issue continued. The way these things fail is that the traces break when the switch body expands and contracts repeatedly. This is why you will often hear of 'fixes' that involve cold in some way. The cold contracts the switch body which may temporarily fix the issue.

These new switches do not have traces printed on the switch body. Instead, they have all the traces replaced with ribbon cables. From the look of them they should be good switches.

These switches are fixing an engineering issue.

Tom

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650
post #7 of 11 Old Jan 29th, 2015, 9:29 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinPhil View Post
It's not how they were engineered it's their parts supplier, which is usually the case.
Actually, it's often both.

BMW tends to engineer things with very tight tolerances, which is one way they continue to push the features/performance/price/weight envelope.

Some suppliers seem to have difficulty manufacturing these parts in great quantities under BMW's tight specs. So marginal parts sneak through and get put on shipping bikes, allowing random failures to occur on random bikes at random times.

Now that falls on the suppliers, but it also falls on BMW's engineering and quality control departments.

And what usually (eventually) comes out of such failure analysis is a combination of BMW reengineering the parts to allow for wider manufacturing tolerances, and BMW taking tighter control of the quality/testing phase. And in some cases, changing suppliers outright.

That explains the recent switch failures (redesigned internal ribbon cables), the RT recall (redesigned shock components), the slew of final drive failures (several redesigns to reduce and then eliminate tight preload tolerances and marginal seals), and many of BMW's other failures.

The frustrating thing is that this still happens on brand-new BMW models, even though its been getting better overall (My GTL has had fewer issues than my K12GT, which had fewer than my LT).

But that's the price we pay for bleeding-edge technology. For some, the hassle is worth it and the pain disappears as soon as you roll on that throttle. And for others, it isn't, so they sell off and move to another brand.

Where you may fall into that spectrum is entirely up to you . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 11 Old Jan 30th, 2015, 8:57 am

Which is why I don't buy a new bike or car in the first or second year of production. I prefer not to be a beta tester. So, unless you have to be the first on on your block to have the latest then go for it. Btw, the explanation of switch gear failure was informative.

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R

2000 R1100RT.
post #9 of 11 Old Feb 13th, 2015, 3:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
I just had the switch gear ordered for both sides of my 2009 GT. Not sure just what prompted the recall but BMW is replacing both sides on 2009 and up. I am happy as mine were seriously faded. Did not get the number off the recall but had seen it posted on iBMW site and I went to the dealer today and the service manager was right on top of it.
Interesting, must see if the dealers in the UK are on top of it - took a while before they (BMW) gave in over the cam chain jump guard!!
post #10 of 11 Old Feb 14th, 2015, 3:27 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I took my old and new right side switches apart to see the difference. They went to a very fine flex wiring ribbon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Switch.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	74033  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 11 Old Feb 14th, 2015, 4:52 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Exactly.

The old switch (on the right) has the wire traces embedded right into the plastic housing. So as the part expands & contracts with heat, the traces can stretch at a different rate than the switch body and thus lose contact. When the part cools and contracts, it regains contact, which is why an early solution was to dump a bag of ice over the switchgear in the hopes that it would start working again.

The new switch (on the left) has the wire traces on a separate thin ribbon cable, so it can flex somewhat instead of pulling apart and breaking contact.

From all reports, the new switchgear is a permanent solution to this problem.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in