Peg Lowering & gear lever extender - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 8:17 am Thread Starter

Peg Lowering & gear lever extender

I'm seriously considering buying the new GT, but after an extended test ride found that the footpegs are just not comfortable enough (my left knee locked up after about an hour and a half). I've looked at the Verholen footpeg lowering kit, but this also pushes the foot out about 3/4" and some people have reported problems with the small gear and brake levers with the lowered pegs.

Is anyone using the Verholen kit together with the Pirates Lair gear lever extender and if so, does it make a significant improvement? Is a brake lever extender needed as well (Pirates Lair are talking about producing one)? Grateful for any comments, good or bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 10:02 am

I have one, and it works like a champ with the gear lever, there is quite a bit of adjustment in the linkage so you can dial it right in.

The brake lever is a tad high, but I changed the angle slightly on the right peg to help with that. I love them, and have done four long days with no knee aches, it's great. I have caught me left two once in a corner however, so keep on the balls of your feet when having fun.

Does anyone know if there is a stop on the brake pedal or a way to lower it a bit? There is a turn buckle that I removed and played with, but that was about it.

Here is a shot of the lowering kit and shifter linkage on my GT.

Edit: That is with the shifter in the original position.

and this is with the shifter all adjusted and ready to go, no problems at all.

15 R1200RT - Ebony Metallic
09 F800GS

Last edited by philspace; Jul 27th, 2006 at 10:12 am.
post #3 of 13 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 10:37 am

Have you looked at the FJR? I hear it's ergos are amazing!

post #4 of 13 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 10:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Why yes, but they wouldn't let me test ride it

09 F800GS
post #5 of 13 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 2:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Now that's just plain stirring it Joe.....!!

And yes, I did give the FJR a good examination at UK Bike show last year, but apart from the problem of getting a test ride I just wasn't impressed with the quality and finish of the FJR in comparison to the GT.

Apart from the peg position, I thought the GT was a superb bike and having done a direct head-to-head (same routes, etc) against my LT, there's no comparison there either, the GT is just awesome.

Phil - thanks for the pictures - it looks good, but I take it you haven't found the need for a shift-lever extension?
post #6 of 13 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 5:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisdy
Phil - thanks for the pictures - it looks good, but I take it you haven't found the need for a shift-lever extension?
Not at all. The foot peg is at the same distance out from the side of the bike. The only thing you need to do is adjust the linkage to compensate.

09 F800GS
post #7 of 13 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 6:37 pm Thread Starter

Set up another test ride

Well, I've decided to order the Verholen kit on spec and persuaded my dealer to fit them to their test GT when they arrive and let me do another test ride with them fitted. They certainly look good and at least this way I get to check them out before I order the bike.

It's very useful having one of the best UK BMW dealers only 15 miles down the road (in fact, one of the best dealers of any make - they were voted RIDE magazine dealer of the year last year). They couldn't be more helpful - which is probably why they sell lots of bikes and have people coming from long distances to get serviced there. Having seen some of the threads about certain US dealerships, I certainly count myself lucky.

I'll let you know what happens.
post #8 of 13 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 9:18 pm

peg lowering !

I read somewhere that BMW had built in a method to lower the footpegs without additional add-ons, similiar to their handlebar setup just by removing the bolt and moving the peg to another bolt hole.

Could be wrong but this is what I remember reading.
post #9 of 13 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 11:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

For God's sake, don't lower the pegs! You're paying an $8K premium for that 5 degrees of lean angle over the FJR don't ya' know?

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #10 of 13 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 7:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickr
I read somewhere that BMW had built in a method to lower the footpegs without additional add-ons, similiar to their handlebar setup just by removing the bolt and moving the peg to another bolt hole.

Could be wrong but this is what I remember reading.
Sorry, but there is only one mounting location/hole for the pin for the pegs on a GT.

09 F800GS
post #11 of 13 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 8:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
For God's sake, don't lower the pegs! You're paying an $8K premium for that 5 degrees of lean angle over the FJR don't ya' know?
While he's at it...perhaps he should uninstall the ABS, the ESA, and get rid of all the extra ponies and torque.

Oh wait a minute. At that point he might-as-well buy the FJR.

But then again, he'd have to put up with that silly "3 tuning forks" logo.
post #12 of 13 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 5:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
While he's at it...perhaps he should uninstall the ABS, the ESA, and get rid of all the extra ponies and torque.

Oh wait a minute. At that point he might-as-well buy the FJR.

But then again, he'd have to put up with that silly "3 tuning forks" logo.
Um...all '06 FJRs come with ABS standard. And it's linked correctly and not servo powered. Both big wins over the GT. Also, we've given you the ESA point (although I wouldn't pay for it myself) but leave off the HP/torque nonsense. The FJR motor has plenty of the former and more of the latter.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #13 of 13 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 5:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
Um...all '06 FJRs come with ABS standard. And it's linked correctly and not servo powered. Both big wins over the GT. Also, we've given you the ESA point (although I wouldn't pay for it myself) but leave off the HP/torque nonsense. The FJR motor has plenty of the former and more of the latter.
OK...but are the FJR's brakes "Partially INTEGRAL"? I didn't think so. If you don't know what partially integral brakes are, I guess this point is moot. As is the ESA point. And the word "linked" makes me cringe. Please tell me that the FJR's brakes aren't "linked". Please!

And what the heck does "plenty of HP" mean?! Is that some kind of sick joke?! I want MORE....MORE....MORE PONIES!!!

If "some" is never enough...
And "more" is ALWAYS better...
Than "too much" might be JUST RIGHT!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in