8000 miles and still loving it! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 6:58 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

8000 miles and still loving it!

I just finished this year's excellent adventure, and have recently rolled over the 8000 mile mark on the new GT.

The bike is running better than ever. The clunk in the transmission is still there, but not nearly as pronounced going into 3rd 4th 5th or 6th gear. The engine is as solid as ever. No brake blips. ESA is a joy. No oil usage whatsoever. And I don't think I've ever seen the temp guage ever go above the halfway mark.

I've been in everything from 28 degrees (back in May) to 114 degrees (last weekend in Amarillo, TX) running at every speed between 0 and "whatever" with no problems.

You have to like everything about the bike except the following (and we've all heard it before):

Seat sucks -- beads from www.beadrider.com were the only thing that made the latest 4000 mile trip bearable.
Windshield sucks -- the CeeBaileys is a must, but I need to get a +4 instead of the +2 (I'm 6'3")
Side cases -- BE VERY CAREFUL THAT THE RETAINING STRAP IS CONNECTED WHEN ON THE SIDESTAND SIDE. If it gets disconnected, the lid will hit the asphalt, and you will be pissed off.

Things that worked very well.

My Autocom with the iPod, Sirius Streamer GT, and Passport X50 connected. Also, my ICOM GMRS radio was perfect. Much better than the old Kenwood LH50. The Panavise mounts in the mirror boss holes, and the BMW GPS mount worked perfectly.

The 49 Litre topcase is a godsend! I recommend that you go with that as an option if you travel. As it turns out, with the side cases and the top case, I have more storage than the LT I used to ride.

The grab rails on the pillion seat are perfect mounts for bungees. I had my Helen2Wheels bags with my camping gear and my clothes tied down the entire trip and never had to worry about a thing.

I've got a couple more trips planned, and with a few impromptu weekends, I should easily get 15000 miles on the bike before the end of the year. I'm so glad I didn't wait for the '07.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 10:46 am

Thumbs up

Yep! Sounds like we own the same bike! See ya at CCR!

(Only 4500 on mine though...and I'm 700 miles away from it. )
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 1:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
You have to like everything about the bike except the following (and we've all heard it before):

Seat sucks -- beads from www.beadrider.com were the only thing that made the latest 4000 mile trip bearable.
Jeff,

Which size bead rider did you go with - the standard for the GT or a custom measured size?

And do these things really work? No sliding on the beads??

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 3:33 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Only 8000 miles? Slacker
Just over 12,000 on the GS

But you've had yours longer.

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 3:34 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkuhno
Jeff,

Which size bead rider did you go with - the standard for the GT or a custom measured size?

And do these things really work? No sliding on the beads??
The 14" recommended for the GT. You slide a little bit, but it's better than getting your ass chapped beyond belief.

-
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 6:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Great report! I'm glad the bike's working so well for you.

I need your job because it's going to take me a while to get to 8K miles...though I did hit 2K faster than on just about any other bike and I've yet to take a trip with it.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in