how many made and what's the out the door price - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 12:32 pm Thread Starter

how many made and what's the out the door price

I have been looking for my "last" bike for about a year. Have had Honda, Kaw, Yamaha (last was a VMax) and have been looking at the ST1300 until I read the K1200GT article in Rider magazine.

List on the GT over ST1300 is $5k +. Advertised price on a new ST1300 ABS is around $13k - BMW dealer in Columbus, Ohio has one GT that lists out for $20,300 and some change.

I haven't ridden the GT yet, but have ridden the ST. Technologically there is no comparison between the ST and the GT with GT the clear winner. Most ST owners almost immediately add cruise, different seat, heated grips, etc. They bitch about the front forks being too soft and add different springs, etc. They bitch about the five speed trany - but can't do anything about it. (a lot of their complaints would not be present with the GT).

With that said: the BMW dealer said he had two more allocated to be built and if I wanted one with only certain options or color choice he could specify how the bike could be built before their next scheduled delivery date. Only mention on price was "list". I did not ask if he discounts.

Questions are: #1: how many GT's are supposed to be built?

#2: Has everyone's experience been "pay me list price or walk out the door"?

#3: Does anyone know the dealer cost?

I am 55 and have just purchased both a MB ML320 and Audi TT (both used) and I am extremely impressed with the build quality of both over and above US or Asian made cars/trucks. Build quality is the major reason I am leaning toward the GT over the ST1300 as my last bike I will need to purchase.

This forum is great - keep on telling us "non-GT-yet" owners how you like, dislike, the bike, it's service, (a friend said I could buy the computer software and do my own service check-ups - does anyone know if that is true? )

Everything I read will help me make up my mind.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 1:27 pm

Build quality

Have you ever owned a BMW? Do not let the rumor of high quality german engineering steer you wrong. The ST1300 will go 100,000 with literally nothing but oil changes, tires and the occasional valve adjustment. I have owned six BMWs and all but one have had multiple problems, never have reached more than 60,000 miles without feeling like I had to get rid of it before it REALLY started to cost me. The K75 was the exception and I only had it about 20,000 miles. BUT....the problems aside, I love the bikes for the most part. And I cant speak at all for the new generation of inline 4 motors and the accompanying high tech wiring, on board suspension adjustments, etc. I talked to an '06 LT owner Sat who just got his out of the shop, had electrical gremlins preventing cruise from working and the center stand had to be replaced. All under warranty fortunately.

PS, I think the Audi and Mercedes are great vehicles but they dont build motorcycles!

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #3 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 5:29 pm Thread Starter

build quality in question !

Thanks for the reply. I am monitoring two BMW motorcycle forums and from what I have read : someone gets a 50/50 chance in getting a bike that goes and goes and goes, and the other person gets one that goes, goes to the shop, goes, etc. repeating shop visits until the warranty runs out and they get rid of the bike. A gentleman on another forum just bought a 2001 LT from a private individual and has found out that repairs to the clutch and other items will cost him several thousand dollars to fix.

I will keep on reading: hopefully as more GT's are bought people will be honest with the issues. I have several Honda dealers within 1/2 hour from my home. The closest BMW is 1 1/2 hrs away. It might get down to the ride quality for the wife. She liked the ST1300 over my VMax, and like the seat on the K1200GT over the St1300. I don't even want to show her an "LT".

Thanks again, I'll keep reading and hope you have better luck with your bikes in the future.

Cheers.

post #4 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 5:41 pm
Cat Herder

Garage
GT Hard Seat

Here in Las Vegas a few of the BMW club members have the new GT's.
The only complaint so far is the very hard seat. BMW now offers a comfort seat at an additional cost. Other than that is is a smooth machine.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 10:17 pm

Dare I say it? Have you checked out the FJR? Compares well with the GT. There's a few folks on the here that have 'em.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #6 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 10:36 pm

Oh, go ahead, Doug....

clickr,

Doug's right.

I'm one of them (FJR owner-'04, not '06) but I've already said more than I should about the Feejer vs GT in this forum so I didn't mention it. On the sport touring continium, the ST1300 is on the touring side of center and the FJR on the sport side. Where does the GT fall? I have no idea but it might be in the middle or overlapping the FJR. Find a copy of this month's MCN and decide for your self! The ST (and I've got a few miles on one) feels heavier and more 'Goldwing like'. I haven't ridden the GT as I'm pretty pleased with my combo of bikes, one for any occasion, and dont need the extra few ponies that the GT offers.

My shop contains:
'05 LT
'04 FJR
'98 KLR650
'90 DR350

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
Dare I say it? Have you checked out the FJR? Compares well with the GT. There's a few folks on the here that have 'em.

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #7 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 10:39 pm
kip

beemers vs the world

i love my LT....thats for sure....i love it when its going down the road....
BUT....if you are going to ride a BMW....you had either better like to work on it or you had better not mind dropping substantial coin on a pretty regular basis at a dealer....

thats my take on it so far.....

and some pundits may point out that my LT has 90K miles on it......BUT....it only takes a few minutes on this forum to read about all kinds of issues with new bikes and bikes with few miles on them......

previous jap bikes ran literally trouble and tool free for years.....

i am beginning to feel like one advantage the beemer does offer is that it CAN be worked on.....but...it WILL be worked on....

having said that....i never had a bike that i more hated to get off of than the LT.....and....id probably buy a GT over the jap bikes.....but id be planning on more maintenance costs....

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
post #8 of 11 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 8:14 am

Thumbs up Baby Lt

I Demoed a GT at the BMW MOA rally and I thought the bike was awesome and very refined. I seriously thought about buying one as I rode it. It raises the K Bike standard for me and may help BMW keep some of their LT-to-Gold Wing refugees in the house, for a little less money.

I heard that the seat sucks but so does the stock seat on my ’05 LT. So that hasn’t changed. My Euro shield is noisy as hell. The GT doesn’t have a 6-disc cd player but who needs that when it takes up half of the right bag anyways. Though I haven’t researched it fully, I hear valve adjustments might be laborious due to the GT engine’s placement.

Playing with the ESA feature was fun, and now there’s a 6th gear in the transmission. You finally can enjoy the K Bike quality, in a much lighter package. Think of it as a Baby LT for a bit less money than the LT. I would consider one. I have owned 2 Ks up to now. And believe it or not I rode the RT the day before and probably would not consider one of those.

There was a strong number of ‘05/06 GTs at the Rally, so BMW must be doing something right. The prices just keep going higher on all the brands but for some the quality doesn't. The GT is definitely quality merchandise IMHO!!!

GoldRush
'06 K1200LT - As of March 2017!
'05 K1200LT - RIP - (totaled 7/8/08)
Former Yankee Beemer Member
Former BMWMOA Member
post #9 of 11 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 6:02 pm Thread Starter

Sport in _Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuss
clickr,

Doug's right.

I'm one of them (FJR owner-'04, not '06) but I've already said more than I should about the Feejer vs GT in this forum so I didn't mention it. On the sport touring continium, the ST1300 is on the touring side of center and the FJR on the sport side. Where does the GT fall? I have no idea but it might be in the middle or overlapping the FJR. Find a copy of this month's MCN and decide for your self! The ST (and I've got a few miles on one) feels heavier and more 'Goldwing like'. I haven't ridden the GT as I'm pretty pleased with my combo of bikes, one for any occasion, and dont need the extra few ponies that the GT offers.

My shop contains:
'05 LT
'04 FJR
'98 KLR650
'90 DR350

I am not limber enough for the sport side of the sport touring design. I have had a hip replacement plus a few pounds around the middle that don't fit well with having my knees in my chest for long periods of time. On the other side I don't really like the laid back style of the GoldWing or LT. I like the ST1300 riding posture and that of the K1200GT. With the quality issue, owners of the ST complain about their Honda dealers not having mechanics that know anything about the ST because they may not sell but one or two a year. Basically very similar quality and dealer issues as I am reading about the BMW's. I had a Concours and liked it but kept dropping it because of it's seat height (even with a custom seat) (anyone want to buy a plastic welder - I got quite good at fixing the Concours fairing). That was before my hip surgery. The GT felt much lighter than the ST.

I have been working on cars and bikes for decades, getting dirty and saving $'s is ok, even if the bike is laid up a few days longer than being in the shop. At least if I break something on the bike I know who did it. Some ST owners remove all of the "Tupperware" before taking theirs to a dealer to prevent it from being broken or scratched. What I read, this procedure on the ST1300 is time consuming and quite difficult. ST1300 12k check up - some are being charged over a thousand dollars at their Honda dealers - from what I am reading - the dealer maintenance costs are similar in $'s.

Rumor has it that Honda will change the 06 ST stying and such this fall (September time frame). I have time to wait and compare.

Thanks for all of the input - sharing is a great part of being a motorcycle owner.
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 12:51 pm
fas

Cool Your Questions

I negotiated with two dealers in the Cleveland market when I bought my GT. My LT sold in 2 days on eBay for $12,000 cash, so I told both dealers I was riding a GT by Saturday AM, so make your best offer. The newest dealer here was MSRP and full boat for the top case. Sills, where I bought my LT in August of 2004 and the new GT gave me a great discount and the sold the top case for $550'ish....darn good discount on the case. They also gave me a new BMW charger and a cover for the GT, FREE. I was out the door for less than $20,000.

I do not know the production volume data, but I 'll find out from a pal in the BMW offices in Munich.

I loved the LT, yet I yearned for less weight and more nimbleness as I commute on 2 wheels (when it isn't snowing).

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #11 of 11 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 7:02 pm Thread Starter

new model year ? timing

Thanks for the info....I guess it all depends on the dealer and circumstances whether they will deal on the price.

The Columbus, OH dealer took about an hour talking to us and seemed nice. The dealership was busy so that's a good sign. I guess they have taken on a lot of the service work since the Cinn dealer closed their store.

The wife wants to get a GT with only the 'factory installed options' and then pace the installation of the dealer installed options.

Do dealers have to take the bikes that are allocated to them? Col dealer has sold two GT's, has one on the floor and two or three more allocated to them. If they would get to the point of having two on the floor I would think they would be more likely to move off of list price.

Cleveland is not that far from Dayton, when I get ready to deal, maybe I'll talk to the dealer where you got yours from.

Thanks, and good luck with the new bike...

Cheers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in