2006 GT: Cherohala Skyway tested - messenger13 APPROVED! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 11:23 am Thread Starter

Post 2006 GT: Cherohala Skyway tested - messenger13 APPROVED!

There are so many good roads in this country, it's hard to really call one your "favorite" But the Cherohala Skyway just moves me in a way that no other road can. You may ride it and not be so impressed. But as for messenger13, there simply is no better road that I've ridden. The condition of the road is almost perfect. Traffic during the week is practically non-existent. I have yet to see one LEO or Ranger on the Skyway. The scenery is gorgeous, with plenty of pull-offs. Wide sweepers, tighter sweepers, some nice twisties, with 2 decreasing-radius turns just to keep you on your toes.

Just for a reference, I rode the Cherohala with a BMW K1200LT, a BMW R1200GS, a Yamaha FJR1300, and a Suzuki V-Strom (DL-1000).

We hit the Cherohala Skyway at approx. 11am Tuesday morning. Leaving the Bistro's parking lot in Tellico Plains, TN and traveling west to east. Unlike many other preferred roads, I have no preference which direction that I ride the CS...east to west, or west to east.

The west end (TN side) was somewhat wet, so we had to take it a little easy. The GT proved to be very sure-footed in the wet. And I rode hard enough to pull away from the group by a considerable margin. Below is a pic I took while waiting for the gang to catch up.

On the way back down, the roads dried up and the fun really began. David (the GS owner) and I played a little, but the GS proved to be no match for the GT. On the straights, I pulled away from the GS without so much as shifting. Third gear is simply the cat's meow on this GT. And in the twisties and/or sweepers, I can ride this GT so much more confidently than any other bike I've ever owned...including the recently-sold Ninja ZX-11. The bike just seems to be much more "flickable" than the Ninja. And rightfully so. The GT has over a decade of technology over my '98 Ninja...which was really a '93 design.

On the way home Wednesday, I wondered (again) if I had made the right decision in buying the GT and selling the LT. I remembered my experience on the Cherohala Skyway just a day ago, grinned, and that was enough of that. And THEN, while riding some inspired twisties on Hwy52 (near Old Fort) leaving North GA, I happened upon a Pacific Blue K1200LT, just like the one I am selling. Wow! What a gorgeous machine. I waved as I safely passed on a double-yellow straight . . . and was confirmed once again that I made the right decision for me.

Gotta go . . . it's clearing up outside and a friend needs me to mount a GPS on his LT. Should I take the GT? Whatta you think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 4:23 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
We need to do another High Speed pass on the CS in the rain

That was fun!
Yes it was! I thought of you the whole time, and how much you would be challenging me now on the GS and me on the GT. Wonder if'n we might find the time during CCR to run up to the CS and relive the memory...rain or shine. And I can take some more G-Spot pics!
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 5:13 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Whatta you think?
Yep, you should definitely paint that helmet to match.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 5:22 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Yep, you should definitely paint that helmet to match.
Naw...I like my light silver Nolans. I don't know if helmet color matters. But if it does, I'll stick with the silver.
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 9:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Naw...I like my light silver Nolans. I don't know if helmet color matters. But if it does, I'll stick with the silver.

I would have to go with the flat black Nolan.....
the bug juice looks beter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in