GT vs. FJR . . . ground clearance. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 10:17 am Thread Starter

Exclamation GT vs. FJR . . . ground clearance.

(Disclaimer: Names are purposefully being withheld to protect the innocent and/or guilty.)

This past weekend, I rode with a guy who had a Yamaha FJR1300. We rode for many miles, through many types of roads. (It is rumored that the guy used to own a GS and nobody could keep up with him.) I followed him and the first thing I noticed was how close the pegs were getting to the ground while I had a TON of room left. Is this true? Does the new GT have that much more ground clearance than the FJR?

I might add that the GT's suspension proved once again to be even better than I previously thought. Now with 4K miles on the clock, it just keeps revealing it's perfection more & more with each passing mile. Perhaps it's "Sport Mode" may be the reason for all of this ground clearance. Hhmmn...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 11:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
(Disclaimer: Names are purposefully being withheld to protect the innocent and/or guilty.)

This past weekend, I rode with a guy who had a Yamaha FJR1300. We rode for many miles, through many types of roads. (It is rumored that the guy used to own a GS and nobody could keep up with him.) I followed him and the first thing I noticed was how close the pegs were getting to the ground while I had a TON of room left. Is this true? Does the new GT have that much more ground clearance than the FJR?

I might add that the GT's suspension proved once again to be even better than I previously thought. Now with 4K miles on the clock, it just keeps revealing it's perfection more & more with each passing mile. Perhaps it's "Sport Mode" may be the reason for all of this ground clearance. Hhmmn...

Yes. According to the head-to-head comparo in MCN this month (which...um...the FJR won...) the GT has much higher (and farther back) pegs. This was one of the deciding factors for me. My knees can't take the GT riding position but the FJR is perfect.

BTW: that is one great looking bike you have there! Looks better than other photos I've seen. The one I've seen in person wasn't that color which may be why.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #3 of 24 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 11:29 am

Screen looks nice as well.

post #4 of 24 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 1:15 pm

"Does the new GT have that much more ground clearance than the FJR?"

Yup

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 H-D Dyna-Glide Conv.
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc
post #5 of 24 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 1:48 pm

Nice stable, Prof.
post #6 of 24 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 4:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
Screen looks nice as well.
Thanks. After over 3K of touring miles, I really like it. I got it at a discount and quickly from a fellow forum member...otherwise I would've ordered a shorter one. This one is technically referred to as a +6 (height) +3 (width). For me, I think a +4 height would be too short...a +5 would probably be perfect. But I still look way over it, so no big deal.
post #7 of 24 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 5:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
Yes. According to the head-to-head comparo in MCN this month (which...um...the FJR won...) the GT has much higher (and farther back) pegs. This was one of the deciding factors for me. My knees can't take the GT riding position but the FJR is perfect.

Further back? ya got to be kidding, I was so much more comfortable on the GT than the FJR, my legs were bent like a pretzel on the FJR and the GT was fine! , if they are urther back so is the riding position on the GT, I couldn't ride that FJR for two hours

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #8 of 24 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 5:51 pm

Quote:

I followed both of ya that day, and that gt has a ton more clearence than the FJR, but I only scraped a few times on the LT <g>

Tom

post #9 of 24 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 6:28 pm

foots postions

Odd, I just ran my FJR to Colorado and back rather than the LT because it is more comfortable for me solo. On the way back I rode from Durango to Lubock, TX, a bit more than 2 hours....(my tank to tank range is about 240 miles or about 4 hours or so) and was perfectly comfortable. I'm 5/11 but most of my length is in my legs. Have no problem with the peg postion. And its the seat, not the pegs, that makes my LT less comfortable than the FJR.

Oh, did someone mention that the FJR 'won' the MCN head to head comparison? And that it would have done even better if it had not been the AE model?

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #10 of 24 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 9:44 pm Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuss
Oh, did someone mention that the FJR 'won' the MCN head to head comparison?
Yea...Todd said those homos picked the FJR.
post #11 of 24 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 10:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Yea...Todd said those homos picked the FJR.
post #12 of 24 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 12:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Ergos are so subjective based on a person's actual measurements but for me at 6' and 32" inseam, the new GT bends my legs back more than the new FJR. That's consistent with the measurements that MCN conducted that have the GT pegs farther up and farther back with respect to the torso of the rider.

For me, the LT was unridable long term without the peg lowering kit. The FJR has no such issues.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #13 of 24 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 2:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Ergos are so subjective based on a person's actual measurements but for me at 6' and 32" inseam, the new GT bends my legs back more than the new FJR.
I'm 6'3" with a 34" inseam . . . no problems here.
I guess your height isn't the problem. Must be your age!!!
post #14 of 24 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 2:34 pm

I don't see how, after the couple rides i have had on the Gt, IMHO there is NO comparison between the GT and the FJR , not for a sport touring or sport riding bike. I'vwe only rode the FJR once and couldn;t take the knee problems thou7gh, so maybe for some saving what 7k makes the bike BETTER?

hehehehe

Tom

post #15 of 24 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 5:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

That's why it's good to have choices.

I'm blessed with the means to have acquired either (though in truth, I would have waited a bit longer if I wanted a GT for the initial demand to wane). I chose the FJR for many, many reasons but one of the keys was because it suited me better with respect to the ergos. In fact, I was prepared to sacrifice comfort in order to get the benefits from the sport-touring package, be it GT or FJR. Turns out the FJR is the most comfortable bike I've ever owned, LT included.

This knee issue isn't only about angle either. MCN pointed out what I discovered in a short test ride: the knee/tank interface is terrible on the GT as compared to the FJR. It's almost impossible to grip the tank with your knees on the GT where as you feel like a natural extension of the bike on the FJR.

I also live in an area (Dallas/Ft. Worth) that suffers from a lack of even one quality dealer. Many here would dispute that fact but it is my reality. Neither Plano nor Ft. Worth is worth a damn to me with respect to sales or service.

Listen, I get the whole BMW thing. I lived it for a while you know but I'll go a step further on this point: I'd pick the FJR again even if they cost the same. It's literally that good and the advantages of longer service intervals, cheaper service costs, excellent non-power brakes, and a great dealer network make it all the better.

Reviewer after reviewer are saying the same thing: the functionality of these two bikes is neck and neck in virtually every category. But when you factor in that the FJR is $8K CHEAPER it really is a no brainer.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

post #16 of 24 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 9:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Reviewer after reviewer are saying the same thing: the functionality of these two bikes is neck and neck in virtually every category. But when you factor in that the FJR is $8K CHEAPER it really is a no brainer.
Now Todd. You know I'm no "BMW snob". I've owned them all, and I ride them all. And the one's I haven't owned yet, I will someday. (Harley Davidson) But to say that the FJR and the GT are equal in every way is simply not true.

But let's set that aside for now...

We all know that a rider should be the bike that speaks to his/her soul. And if the rider doesn't do that...than shame on them! After running with an FJR for a few days, I'm more convinced than ever that I made the right choice . . . as you did. I bought the bike that spoke to me. I'm assuming you did the same. These are emotional decisions. BRAINS has nothing to do with it. So let's leave the "no brainer" comments out of it.
post #17 of 24 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 9:28 pm

Quote:
But to say that the FJR and the GT are equal in every way is simply not true.
That's not what he said, but you know that don't you?

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 24 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 9:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoog62
That's not what he said, but you know that don't you?
Todd said, "Reviewer after reviewer are saying the same thing: the functionality of these two bikes is neck and neck in virtually every category.". I'd say that's pretty close to my paraphrased version, no?
post #19 of 24 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 9:47 pm

Quote:
Todd said, "Reviewer after reviewer are saying the same thing: the functionality of these two bikes is neck and neck in virtually every category.". I'd say that's pretty close to my paraphrased version, no?

Close to "Equal in every way?"

No.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 24 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 9:51 pm Thread Starter

Sorry Charlie . . . but

post #21 of 24 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 9:56 pm

Joe, you're a legend in your own mind.........

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #22 of 24 Old Jul 15th, 2006, 4:47 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoog62
Joe, you're a legend in your own mind.........
And that's the only place it really matters.
post #23 of 24 Old Jul 15th, 2006, 9:40 pm

Quote:
That's why it's good to have choices.
Listen, I get the whole BMW thing. I lived it for a while you know
When I made the switch from Hd in '02, i told myself i would never be brand specific again, and that holds true today, so to me it's not he BMW thing, heck after all the issues i had with BMW I said I would never buy another, that was untill I found my current dealer..........

Tom

post #24 of 24 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 12:01 pm

I have been looking at both the FJR and the GT as a second bike. To get the same amount of leg extension on the GT that I would get on the FJR I would have to add a peg relo kit (Pirate now carries one that is up to 60 mm. lower). Eyeballing both bikes, I would have to say that with a peg relo kit the lean angle advantage that the GT has over the FJR would disappear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in