OMGOSH! Wrong forum I know...... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 8:24 am Thread Starter

OMGOSH! Wrong forum I know......

I'm just stoked so I had to tell everyone! ..........

Joe is headed back to his own damn state this am, no sense in keeping a eye out for him though since that bike won't run under 120 mph <g>

We had a decent couple days of riding here, and while he AKA Joe, messy13) was sleeping I swiped his GT well ok actually he pulled over and asked if i wanted to ride it, I told him no thanks) as I picked him off his seat and put him on my LT and took off on that GT). Damn that boy is heavy!

Some of ya remember my post about my test ride on one a while back, how much I thought of this bike, this time I was able to ride it however I wanted.

OMGOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is NO other motorcycle on the market that can compare to the new GT period, end of story. Don't argue just go buy one, put a tour pack on the back of the bike and a nice back rest for those of you that your SO's ride on the back. Don't argue just do it, she will love you for it! TRUST me, the bike will never feel unstable. Any thoughts of weight will be gone! you will be able to do a U-turn like you were on a moped.

IT IS SO MUCH EASIER TO HANDLE!!!!!! YES people that new GT CAN replace our lovely K1200LT

I don't give a darn about all that usable power (ok well i lied) but even it it were slow that suspension and steering is absolutly thee finest thing on the planet!! at ANY speed!

20mph or 120 mph it just don't care

smooth roads or bumpy switch backs it just don't care

OMGOSH! that is one AWESOME ride! power at any RPM smooth at any speed brakes that work at any speed it's just, well........ perfect.

So there is a warning here, if your around me and you own a NEW K1200GT
DO NOT leave your keys in your NEW GT, you may just have to ride a LT for a while <big grin>

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 8:48 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Ok, quit beating around the bush. What do you really think?

I think you should go buy one, come up here to visit leave your keys in the ignition when you go to bed , you will be well fed so Don't worry. Yes I know your a big boy, but who cares cause ya ain't going to be able to catch me! and that thing handles so well ya ain't going to be able to hit me even with your best shooting. and I'm willing to pay the price when I return with the bike!

<big damn grin>

Tom

Tom

post #3 of 9 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 9:15 am

What about the long-haul?

How would the GT compare to the LT for 1,000+ mile days? What I like about the LT is that I can ride it seemingly forever. The ergos just work so well. Think the GT is up to that?

Regards,
-joel

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 9:48 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog
How would the GT compare to the LT for 1,000+ mile days? What I like about the LT is that I can ride it seemingly forever. The ergos just work so well. Think the GT is up to that?

Regards,
-joel
Yes I do, Much more so than the lt for several reasons

1, the suspension is superior and I am NOT knocking our lt's suspension cause well heck in '02 when I bought mine, it was FAR superior to everything else I had rode. the gt's suspension is superior than my wilbers that I have and they are fantastic, wilbers made a HUGE improvement to my LT and i would not go with another shock.

I have a pretty messed up back and neck. nothing bothered me on the GT at all, not one bump and we rode some pretty rough stuff.

2 the bike is like 300 lbs less YET still rides BETTER than my LT with the wilbers on it over any type of pavement I rode it on, and I mean FAR BETTER!

3 there is no more even thinking about the weight of the bike in any type of riding conditions parking slow speed curves - notta.

4 the way the steering acts at any speed it is predictable and stable basically it handles the same all the time.

all these things add up to longer days in the saddle with less fatigue, yes this bike is truly a Long distance bike, i ride allot and it would be superior to the lt period.

it needs a fuel cell to take it to the 11.5 gl limit a radar detector and a cb

keep in mind the lt ergo's aren't perfect for everyone, myself included. the GT might want a little taller handle bar for some maybe a little shorter for others, I'm not sure where joe had them set at because they are adjustable, I could have used them a tad higher cause of my bad back for the long hauls. the footpegs are just a tad back more than my lt's, But the seating position is so much more narrow I really felt less pain in my bad knees.

let me add to that, I think the distance from the seat to the pegs was further tahn the lt allowing my legs to be less bent even though the pegs are back a tad, and I was still able to flat foot the bike comfortably because the leg area where they reach to the ground is much narrower.

BTW one thing i REALLY liked was how narrow the seating is at the front of the seat, i really could reach the ground much better this way and it did not bother the inside of my legs while riding it like the LT does.

Keep in mind No one makes a perfect for everyone bike ergonomically, the lt wasn't for me either and still isn;t but I put up with it cause at the time when i bought my LT there wasn't a bike that would do what I wanted from it.

the seat on the GT is far better than on the LT ergonomically (for me), honestly I can't see replacing the seat on it until it is just flat wore out. it was really comfortable for me. It seemed firm enough for the long haul yet soft enough for good comfort, now until you me or anyone actually rides it for 1000 miles non stop you just won't know for sure, but that is true for ANY bike and rider, each one of us need a seat for us period, you would probably hate my seat on my LT

Tom

post #5 of 9 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 10:07 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog

Regards,
-joel

I must add this

if i could get a decent dollar out my LT it would be up for sale today, it has 124k miles on it and has a transferable no deductable repair contract good till aug 17 2009 on it. even with the new 1500 worht the wilbers shocks, auto com, motolilghts and the extended warranty no one is going to want to pay what a good mechanically taken care of good shape K1200Lt is worth with that kind of mileage.

So the problem is I must be responsible since I just bought a new house and can't lay out the cash to buy a new GT for quite some time.

Tom

post #6 of 9 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 11:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
I must add this
if i could get a decent dollar out my LT it would be up for sale today, it has 124k miles on it and has a transferable no deductable repair contract good till aug 17 2009 on it.
Alright, I'll give ya a dollar for it.

Seriously, it sounds like you're in good stead until the new LT comes out. After 10 years without much of an overhaul, I'm hoping (read: expecting) that the new LT will put all other motos to shame. If not, there'll be some good deals to be had on 2yr old GTs.
post #7 of 9 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 3:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwilshire
Alright, I'll give ya a dollar for it.

Seriously, it sounds like you're in good stead until the new LT comes out. After 10 years without much of an overhaul, I'm hoping (read: expecting) that the new LT will put all other motos to shame. If not, there'll be some good deals to be had on 2yr old GTs.

See what I mean, everyone wants to give ya half of what it's worth <grin> yup it is a great machine, there is just something new and better out now (MUCH btter)

yup no tellin what tomorrow will bring, I can see a new LT comming close to the gt, I don't think they will make it's size comparable though, who knows they might even discontinue the LT if the GT takes off (ouch that one hurt <g>)
seriously my next bike won't be a LT anyhoot, I really want a GS for heading out west and playing ghost town hunter they could make a couple changes to the GS cruise for one. then I would surrender and buy the GS I'm sure, even though I like the GT much better at this point, heck who knows can't buy nuttin right now, so my mind will prolly change between the GT and GS till the day I go to make the purchase. But for now the GT is tops on the list of all to have IMHO, it;s far superior to the everything that i have rode, the ST, GW, FJR, Any HD model. It's sweet, BMW made a gem here.

Tom

post #8 of 9 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 9:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
So the problem is I must be responsible since I just bought a new house and can't lay out the cash to buy a new GT for quite some time.
I guess that means your gonna have to slum with me for a while then, doesn't it?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #9 of 9 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 8:09 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
I guess that means your gonna have to slum with me for a while then, doesn't it?
well if you would buy some bags <g> like maybe 10k of them <grin>

BTW ya headed up this way today?

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in