GT and riding 2 UP. How good? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 8th, 2006, 12:27 pm Thread Starter

Question GT and riding 2 UP. How good?

Now that many members here have the GT, I would like to ear some impressions on riding it 2 up.
How your wife/so/girlfriend/whatever thinks about this bike?

The wife and I we ride 2 up 99% of the time (yep. she is not going with me to the gas station before a trip... ), and I'm not sure if I should consider doing this move.
The tempting part is that the GT is not heavy as the LT.

Any comments?

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 8th, 2006, 7:54 pm

I mostly ride solo, as my wife rides her own. Despite that, we will occasionally ride two up, for one reason or another. My wife likes riding pillion on my GT, says "it's FUN!", but doesn't care to ride double on her R1200RT, or my GL1800 Goldwing.

The same things that make it "fun" for local romping around may be a real disadvantage when riding distance. As you do distance riding, I'd recommend that you take an extended test ride on a GT before giving up your LT. Those big touring rigs are tough to beat when pounding out the miles two up!

On the other hand, for solo riding, the GT is awesome! I rode my Goldwing today for the first time since I got my GT roughly two months ago (just to get the battery charged back up!), and the thing that I noticed right away (besides the weight difference!) was how much harsher my Goldwing rides than me GT. The GT is like riding on a cloud, a very FAST cloud!

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 9th, 2006, 12:00 am
fas

Cool SO Prefers GT Over Departed LT

Now keep in mind that my wife has been hanging on the back of my bikes since 1971. We now have 280 miles on our new GT. She prefers it over our 2002 LT. She likes being closer to me on the bike. She loves the ride quality....that cloud thing! The suspension is just so unbelievable. She said tonight as we sat on the porch talking about our ride today that the GT just eats up the miles. She is very pleased with the move away from the LT. She said she prefers not having her legs spread that far apart! Really, she did say that! I'm not making this up! She is only 5' 2" and the GT just is perfect for her. Thank goodness, because I am SO HAPPY with all the performance that the GT gives. At one point today, I let a youngster in a Nissan 350 Z run rabbit ahead. I ran behind and beside him. At one point I glanced down and the speedo and saw really large numbers, even shocked me. SO was not ruffled at all. BMW nailed it with this GT. Don't test ride it unless you can do it because your LT will fell like an old girlfriend who suddenly put on 200 pounds.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 9th, 2006, 1:09 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
Don't test ride it unless you can do it because your LT will fell like an old girlfriend who suddenly put on 200 pounds.
Yep, after a brief ride on a friend's GT, my LT suddenly felt like an old, comfortable lump. It was familiar in a way that 100K on the same bike can be, but just felt old, and heavy. ChanFinally upgrading the shocks helped, but man was that GT fun.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 9th, 2006, 8:26 am

Just being honest...because that's what I do, my wife prefers the LT for long days in the saddle. But that's not to say that she does not like the new GT. I think most women will pick the LT over the GT. Then again, there I go again trying to figure out women!
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 9th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by strsout
Now that many members here have the GT, I would like to ear some impressions on riding it 2 up.
How your wife/so/girlfriend/whatever thinks about this bike?

The wife and I we ride 2 up 99% of the time (yep. she is not going with me to the gas station before a trip... ), and I'm not sure if I should consider doing this move.
The tempting part is that the GT is not heavy as the LT.

Any comments?
While we were just up in Canada, Michelle rode on the back of the GT for about 200 miles. She said it had a very comfortable ride, much better than the LT. She said the wind protection was about the same as the LT - the GT has a Cee Baileys +4 +2 windshield. She said the seat was awful, but said that with a better seat would be every bit as comfortable as the LT for long trips. She did say that the mount/dismount was a little more difficult, probably because of the relationship of the passenger pegs to the bags.

From my perspective the bike was just fine with the weight of an additional passenger and fully loaded luggage. Handling and performance was still very good, even with the additional weight. I did find it was much easier to maneuver at lower speeds than the LT - loaded with luggage and a passenger.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in